American short hair shedding season

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do shorthairs shed twice a year and if so, how long does it usually last? I can't keep up with the tumbleweeds of floof at the moment. I try to brush Chloe when I give her her breakfast as she's usually too busy nom nomming to get annoyed. I have one of those silicone finger type brushes and it grabs loads but there's always more to get.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think all cats shed twice a year summer coat, winter coat etc. indoor cats shed year round i believe.graycie has finnished shedding her winter coat alreadyi think less hair sticking to me now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Year round :confused: Wow. It only seems to have beeen the past month or so that it's got bad. I hope the new vacuum I bought is up to the task.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The warmer it gets the more the shedding. Minish loses maybe 2 3rds by midsummer. There are special brushes like furminator that trim the undercoat where most of the shedding happens. My experience is bitten fingers :) normal brushes do the work fine but like the glove, some of the loose hair remains and then spreads around. I found wiping minish with my wet hands after the brushing helpful. It helps her cool down as well

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:one thing i noticed since moving out with my gf and having to be stuck home all the time after my stroke if i clean every day a few things vacuum etc. theres no build up as compared to weeklygraycies hair is there for sure but no clumps etc.type of cat matters some to i think my sisters rag doll that cat leaves cotton balls

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I might try the furminator brush. Chloe unfortunately is declawed so the scratching wont be an issue but I'll have to watch out for the fangs.

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Speaking of hair. Her hair tends to be about 1- 1.5" in length. Is that consdiered a shorthair? I don't want to buy the wrong brush

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furminators do help. Mine aren't fond of brushing, but will tolerate a decent amount of "furminating." I have two short haired cats and one with long hair. The Furminator works well with either hair length.

If you get a Furminator, be sure not to strike or drop it against a hard surface. The teeth are not tempered, are fairly brittle and will break. My Furminator looks like it needs dentures.

I hear what you're saying about the shedding this time of year. Sometimes I'm afraid that I'm going to keep brushing until the cats disappear entirely!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My DSH was shedding like craaazy for the past month. There were several times where I brushed her with the slicker brush and it filled up with hair 2-3 times in a single session. In the past week or so, shedding has become pretty minimal again. And like game misconduct game misconduct said, vacuuming more frequently also helps! I give my cat the greenies skin&fur treats (broken in half since she's not great at chewing) after each time she fills up the brush and never for any other occasion. She unabashedly drools waiting for me to open the bag even though the brushing is a little annoying to her.

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish Chlow liked treat but I haven't found anything she likes yet. She tolerates me brushing her with the silicone thingy. I'll be careful with the furminator as far as the teeth. Whether she'll stand still is another matter. I did order a pair of leather gloves to put on when doing it because I know what her teeth can do.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
my stardust loves being brushed and she is the worst one when it comes to shedding ... i have a special brush that i use on my girls

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Apologies for replying in an older thread but I'm very glad to find others with same shedding issues! I adopted my first DSH cat and he came with very dense coat for a short hair and have been shedding so much considering I also have a long hair cat to compare with! Someone mentioning getting multiple sheets off their slicker brush per day is exactly my experience. We don't have tumbleweeds but I feel like I always keep the brush on me now to sneak in some brushes every time he wants pets.