American Curl Ear Cleaning???

dc0485

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! so as a pretty experienced cat owner, I recently adopted a purebred American Curl, which many vets in my area aren’t familiar with, neither am I! The ears flare drastically up/outwards and a patch of fur covers the opening. Unlike a domestic shorthair’s, or most cats in general, the american curls ears are hard and fragile as if bend, mini fractures can occur!! :( I am finding it difficult to clean her ears as she’s incredibly protective of them and often moves around, any tips? Thank you! i attached a pic of my calico baby american curl to show the ears!

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You may have to bundle her to keep her from wiggling away or scratching you, and if you have a second person to help have them hold her body.

Put the palm of your hand over the top of her head with thumb and forefinger on each side at the base of the ear to stabilize it without actually touching the ear. Use a Q-tip to gently clean inside the ear, making sure you don't push it in any further than where you can see the cotton on the end (1/4"-1/3"). I wouldn't worry about trying to clean the curled part of the ears unless you can see dirt there.