Ambushing at the litterbox

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It appears that Ophelia is trying to regain her Alpha status, which is fine, but she also seems to want to exert her authority when the two new girls are the most vulnerable - in the litterbox. This is not acceptable because I certainly don't want the new girls to be scared to use the litterbox. This also led to the worst confrontation they've had so far between Ophelia and Mojo last night, as Mojo is VERY protective of her litterbox! (She's fine with the others using the litterbox, and she's gotten to "trust" me scooping it, but she really doesn't like me messing with her litter.)

What can we do to ensure that this ambushing in the litterbox doesn't become a habit for Ophelia? She's not doing it to Trent, who she grew up with. Just the new girls.

All are covered boxes, all in different rooms/areas of the house.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you find out, please let me know
. The only thing I have been able to think of is installing a cat door that only opens with the electronic collar to the room where her litterbox is. My BFF had this problem- she never did find a solution!
Sorry I can't be of more help!

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,
It is normal to experience some bumps in the road when bringing in new kitties into the household. The litterbox ambushing should die down....two things you can do to help lessen the attacks, since you already have several litterboxes through out your home is one, remove the hoods from the litterboxes. Cat prefer to eliminate in open spaces where they can see potential preditors when they are most vunerable. This will help the girls feel more secure when using the litterbox. And the other thing you can do is the second you see Ophilia gearing up to ambush one of the girls in the litterbox divert her attention, start to play a game with her, have her follow you into the kitchen for a tasty treat, really anything to divert her attention to keep her occupied while one of the girls are in the litterbox. This will help her break her old habit of litterbox ambushing and before she knows it, it will be long forgotten. Good luck with this and I hope this helps out your situation.
Take care,
Kerry

Originally Posted by valanhb

It appears that Ophelia is trying to regain her Alpha status, which is fine, but she also seems to want to exert her authority when the two new girls are the most vulnerable - in the litterbox. This is not acceptable because I certainly don't want the new girls to be scared to use the litterbox. This also led to the worst confrontation they've had so far between Ophelia and Mojo last night, as Mojo is VERY protective of her litterbox! (She's fine with the others using the litterbox, and she's gotten to "trust" me scooping it, but she really doesn't like me messing with her litter.)

What can we do to ensure that this ambushing in the litterbox doesn't become a habit for Ophelia? She's not doing it to Trent, who she grew up with. Just the new girls.

All are covered boxes, all in different rooms/areas of the house.