Am I overreacting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it refillable? If so, you might try to empty the remainder of the cat nip, fluff it up a bit in the dryer, and then refill with more catnip. If not, refillable, buy another one.
She wasn’t reacting to her old one so I got a brand new one. Hooper is nuts for it but not Twyla. It’s not a big deal, but just something odd.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn’t paying full attention this morning (half asleep) and gave Twyla her evening meds instead of her am meds this morning. The evening methimazole dose is larger. So will give her the smaller dose this evening so she gets the right amount for the day and go back to regular dosing tomorrow.

I have an am/pm day of the week pill case for her and pack her capsules every Saturday and still screwed up. Shouldn’t be a problem, but a reminder to be a little more alert. I am so not a morning person.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Checking in to say things are going pretty well. Had one day (Wednesday) where Twyla’s appetite wasn’t great, but I attribute that to the variance in methimazole dose based on my dosing mix-up on Tuesday, and by seeing how she would do with a two day break between Cerenia doses. Every other day seems optimal so will stick with that. She is eating well and it is hard to differentiate between her litter box output and Hooper’s. She is acting perfectly normal in almost every respect including waking me up at 4:00 am for a snack. Her next checkup is August 9th. Fingers crossed she stays stable!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m concerned that Twyla might have a UTI. She has gone to the litter box several times today without producing anything and overnight there seemed to be multiple smaller clumps of urine.

The alternative diagnosis would be constipation. She did produce about a 4” long moist log last night though.

Her appetite is very good and I don’t feel she is dehydrated, though I’m not the best at judging the scruff test.

Thinking I need to call my vet and see if she needs to come in.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet office is very responsive - I called and when they heard it was Twyla they said bring her in. We are already back home. She isn’t constipated and no sign of infection. Possibly stress related - she is very sensitive to weather, particularly rain and thunderstorms, and we had a violent storm last night. So no medication at this time. Will observe over the weekend and go from there.

Also was well hydrated, so no fluids were given and she is up another 1/4 lb in weight!

Hopefully today was just an anomaly. Right now she is doped up on gaba and Hooper is being his usual post-vet hissy self.

Last edited:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Struggling a bit with eating the past few days, especially not wanting to eat the prescription dry food. She will pick out the crushed Temptations, eat a few bites and then just lick off the Fortiflora. It’s a new bag so wonder if that might be the issue. She is eating ok with wet food - it might take a couple of attempts but once her “eating switch“ turns on she eats most of it. Really need her to eat the prescription dry though for phosphorus control, as she won’t eat prescription wet. She just seems less enthusiastic (not waking me up in the middle of the night for food) about food overall but is maintaining her weight, so maybe she just doesn’t need to eat as much now that her thyroid level is in the normal range.

I may try moistening the dry food to see if that makes it more appetizing. I have mixed some in with the wet food and she seemed to like it.

Also dealing with Hooper wanting to eat the prescription food, so I can’t leave it out for Twyla to graze on. I have thought about getting a microchip feeder but have read mixed reviews. I also wonder if that would just add another complication into the feeding process and create aversion.

She goes back for bloodwork on August 9th.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just remember, if she won't eat the phosphorus control food, and her phosphorus level is elevated in the next round of blood tests, you can always consider a phosphorus binder to add to her 'regular' food.
I am keeping that as an option as I already have the binder. I know if she has to go that route I will most likely have to put her on Miralax as well, since she has a history of mild constipation. She has been loving the dry food so I’m not sure what caused the change. But with her, change is the only constant when it comes to what she will eat!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's happening here with my boy, to a degree anyway. As long as she's not losing weight, that's the main thing :)
She’s going to lose weight if this keeps up. I could go back to Cerenia everyday for a few days to see if that helps. Just when you think you are in a stable place….

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Struggling a bit with eating the past few days, especially not wanting to eat the prescription dry food...She’s going to lose weight if this keeps up. I could go back to Cerenia everyday for a few days to see if that helps. Just when you think you are in a stable place….
You can try the Cerenia, but if she is just plain tiring of the prescription food, it might make no difference. As I think has been mentioned before, most cats either won't eat these foods, or if they do they seem to tire of them pretty quickly. I am sure it has also been mentioned, the best food for a cat are those they will eat.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try the Cerenia, but if she is just plain tiring of the prescription food, it might make no difference. As I think has been mentioned before, most cats either won't eat these foods, or if they do they seem to tire of them pretty quickly. I am sure it has also been mentioned, the best food for a cat are those they will eat.
She’s been eating the dry prescription food for about seven weeks and has been enthusiastic about it until a couple of days ago. It has been her primary source of calories since she is so hit and miss on what wet food she will eat. I rotate three or four different wet foods. I am supplementing with baby food as it is pretty high cal and low in phosphorus.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far today Twyla has had a few bites of dry food, some Temptations, half a can of Salmon Primavera, maybe a third of a pouch of Hill’s Tender Tuna and a third of a jar of chicken baby food (hand fed). She required encouragement to eat all of it. Is it time to call the vet and ask about an appetite stimulant? They are open tomorrow morning, otherwise it would have to wait until Monday. This is the third day of decreased appetite and the worst yet.

Should I try and move up her checkup and bloodwork? It’s about ten days out.

She did just walk over to Hooper, flopped down and tried to pick a fight but she has been a little less social the past few days as well. She is mostly hanging out upstairs (it’s warmer there) but will get up to greet me and and will come downstairs voluntarily most of the time. She just seems less bright and not quite as social. I may have stressed her out today because I was wallpapering the upstairs bathroom.

I live by myself so it helps me to get your perspective as my friends don’t really get it. I have been spiraling about her health all day - she had been doing so well that this has taken me by surprise.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have her rescheduled for this coming Tuesday. Asked about an appetite stimulant but may not be able to get it today - only vet techs in the office this morning, they close at noon and I have stuff going on this morning.

Twyla only ate about half of her half can of primavera this morning, I mixed in some dry and it looks like she ate some of that. I may pulll out the Fancy Feast pate later. Phosphorus level is not good, but more concerned with eating right now.

We did have a good snuggle last night and she woke me up this morning.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No luck on the appetite stimulant. Since it hasn’t been prescribed for her before the vet tech couldn’t do it. So will just have to try and get by until Tuesday. Tried the Fancy Feast and she maybe ate a third of a can.

I’m willing to feed her anything at this point. All she really wants is Temptations and baby food.

Last edited: