Am I overreacting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep telling myself to not freak out when this happens, and have been fairly successful, but none of my usual tricks seem to be working this time, especially the Mirataz.I’m going to stick with different food options today and pick up a couple other options. If I don’t see some improvement in the next couple of days I will give the vet a call. She seems OK otherwise, played some yesterday, snuggled all night and spent the early morning laying on my chest and patting me on the face. She also exhibits her “I want food behaviors” which include pawing on me, or whatever I happen to be sitting on. Just doesn’t want “mama approved” foods.
Well it's good she is acting like herself and does displaying any symptoms besides these eating problems- but we all know how well cats can hide just about any feelings of being unwell,even painful toothaches!!!Amazing,,right?

Though we do know our babies very very well so it's a bit more difficult to hide things from MAMA!lol

She eats those dang Temptation products though doesn't she?Maybe it's better she eats " Twyla approved" than lose more weight? Is she a big kitty,she looks perfect weight in her photos- hard to tell their size in pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it's good she is acting like herself and does displaying any symptoms besides these eating problems- but we all know how well cats can hide just about any feelings of being unwell,even painful toothaches!!!Amazing,,right?

Though we do know our babies very very well so it's a bit more difficult to hide things from MAMA!lol

She eats those dang Temptation products though doesn't she?Maybe it's better she eats " Twyla approved" than lose more weight? Is she a big kitty,she looks perfect weight in her photos- hard to tell their size in pictures
She gained about half a pound after she had a dental extraction last year and weighed 12 pounds six ounces at her heaviest. She has been hovering just above or below 12 pounds for the past three months or so. I was attributing some of the recent loss to losing muscle mass because of the lower protein diets. She was slightly overweight at 12.6 so this is a good weight for her, but don’t want to continue the downward trend. Twyla approved is definitely the name of the game for right now!

I have noticed some sneezing over the past few days which isn’t normal for her. She does have discharge from her eyes, but that is not unusual for her as she has an occlusion in her tear ducts.

I just had a repairman in working on my refrigerator and she came downstairs into the kitchen to supervise and get a couple of treats - she is a very social cat.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I love how cute they look when watching repairmen intently,it really looks like they are making sure they do a good job - lol

Take a photo,please

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love how cute they look when watching repairmen intently,it really looks like they are making sure they do a good job - lol

Take a photo,please
No picture of her helping out but here she is snoozing last week. I am keeping an eye on the sneezing - It does seem to happen when she’s eating.

20240513_091333.jpeg

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think she got about 3/4 of her target calories yesterday, not too bad, but it took coaxing and many small feedings. Going a little slower so far today. I’m noticing that her mouth gets really messy when she’s eating (I sometimes need to wipe her chin) so I am wondering about dental pain or mouth issues. That would also explain only eating small amounts at a time, pate seems especially difficult. Nothing obvious that I can see, but she doesn’t let me get a good look. She is due for a Solensia injection a week from Saturday so I may see if I can get an actual appointment around that time instead just to check things. Otherwise her next full checkup is in about six weeks.

I’m not sure what I would do if she needs a dental - she made it through her cleaning and extraction great last year and was much improved overall after, but she’s another year older and kidney values aren’t as good.

Her Young Again Dry Food arrives tomorrow. Fingers crossed she will eat it as it is calorie dense and would allow her to have to eat less overall.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twyla has a vet appointment at 10 tomorrow, things aren’t getting any better and I don’t want to get stuck in an emergency over the weekend.

Her Young Again food came and she ate about 10-12 pieces but then stopped.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Twyla has a vet appointment at 10 tomorrow, things aren’t getting any better and I don’t want to get stuck in an emergency over the weekend.

Her Young Again food came and she ate about 10-12 pieces but then stopped.
Good move!And never fails that things happen on the weekend or holidays so that is wise

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back from vet. As I suspected she does indeed have a painful upper tooth. Given her age and myriad health conditions extraction is not an option (she had an extraction and cleaning a little over a year ago and we knew that would probably be the last time). So we are going back to regular use of gabapentin to help control the pain. She also got a shot of buprenorphine today for both the tooth and her arthritis pain, along with fluids and a B12/B complex shot (what my vet calls a tequila shot!). Will add getting a tequila shot each time she goes in for her Solensia and I may try some at home B12 supplementation.

The sneezing and red eyes are most likely related to her occluded tear duct. Starting a round of antibiotic eyedrops to help that (and fun for me - she is great with pills and her inhaler, fussy about ear ge, but hates eye drops). But we’ll get it done.

I think I have a possible solution for getting her to eat the low phosphorus dry - going to grind up the days ration in a coffee grinder and mix it in with her wet meals. We’ll see how that goes. Also going to make sure that wet food is at room temp or slightly warmer since I’m sure the food cold out of the fridge hurts the tooth.

Her weight was only down a few ounces from 2 months ago so the vet wasn’t too concerned. I have to constantly remind myself that she is equivalent to a human in their mid to late 80s!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twyla seems to be doing much better with the twice daily gabapentin and the benefits from the B vitamins shot. She ate really well yesterday (all wet food) and even ate some prescription wet. I am taking two foods - a lower phosphorus pate and a moderate phosphorus minced in gravy and mixing them together in a 70/30 ratio and adding the phosphorus binder. I can then feed out of that mix and make sure the binder is evenly distributed. I haven’t been topping with ground up food yet as I had to order a coffee grinder. I usually have to put a couple of pieces of a higher phos dry food on top to coax her to the bowl (it’s a smell thing, I think).

It’s a super low dose of gaba - 12.5 mg twice a day - so room to increase if the pain isn’t managed successfully.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The transition to all wet food is going much more smoothly than expected! Every morning I mix her daytime rations as described above and split it into two separate glass containers. She gets her breakfast out of the first one and I keep the covered container in a cool spot out of the refrigerator for her next meal a couple of hours later. Since you aren’t supposed to warm up foods with binder in the microwave and she won’t eat cold food this is working well. Later I will take the second container out of the fridge for evening meals. Overnight she eats renal food so I don’t have to bother with measuring binder at 4 or 5 in the morning. I try to remember to add a sprinkling of Young Again dry food on top for extra calories. She also gets Temptations purées as treat rewards for meds time. I estimate she is getting 8 to 10 pieces of “bad” dry food a day - mainly as a starter to get her eating. Most of the meals that have those on it have binder in them. I’m not sure this is meeting goals to maintain weight but should come close. She is eating well and gets excited when I prep the food in the mornings. She is also drinking less water as she is getting better hydration from her meals. I miss the convenience of having dry food for overnight feeding and easy calories.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear she is transitioning well to all wet food.

When I had a cat that needed phos binder, I just heated the food up to mouse temperature and then mixed in the binder. Just a couple seconds in the microwave took the chill off the food. I actually use the same process on any supplements that I add to my current cats food.

I'm just a stickler for keeping an open can of wet food covered with a lid in the fridge to avoid the possibility of bacteria growth.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our new routine appears to be no routine. Yesterday was a picky eating day (day after vet visit for Solensia and B12 shot). I got tired of putting out wet food and throwing away half of it so when she asked for food at 5 this morning I put out a bit of renal dry with a crushed treat on top and she ate it all. Over the next few hours she ate two more small portions. Hopefully this means I can go back to feeding dry overnight but we’ll see. I do want to keep up the wet during the day. She has always liked variety but is also picky so sometimes it feels there are few options, especially with trying to keep phosphorus down. I always think I could do better on phosphorus control, but I know eating is more important. I am also planning to start b12 and bcomplex oral supplementation at home as she seems to benefit from it.

Her hydration is good and she is mostly sticking to her usual routine though I can tell her arthritis is getting more pronounce. She weighed 11 lbs 12 oz yesterday which is about where she’s been the past few months. This morning she climbed up on my chest and that felt pretty heavy!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her appetite is a roller coaster. Yesterday was a great eating day and today is pretty lousy. She is being super sweet and snuggly though!

Today we are starting her B12 and B complex supplementation. For kitty size doses of the B complex I have to split the contents of one human size capsule into 8 separate doses and put in gel caps. Not an easy task! All the online pill filling tools are for larger size capsules so I used folded bits of paper as funnels. Some doses came out a little short due to spillage but hopefully I’ll get better. The B12 is tasteless so will be mixing into a Temptations puree. I’m hoping this will perk her up and hopefully stabilize her appetite.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The B vitamin supplementation does seem to be helping Twyla’s appetite and her energy level. She is back to eating dry food overnight and works through a can of wet food with phos bind mixed in throughout the day. Her weight seems to be holding steady for now, possibly a very slight loss. It seems to me that the loss is mostly muscle mass and seemed to begin when we tried an all renal diet for a while. She eventually decided that she didn’t like the renal dry or wet. Even though I have AC, I do think the heat wave is affecting the appetites of both cats.

She still insists on going upstairs a couple of times a day, even though with her arthritis it is obviously painful for her to do so. I’ve thought about blocking access to the stairs but don’t have a good way to do it, and I’m not sure if I should. The arthritis (and possibly her mouth pain) seems to be impacting her ability to groom well, especially her back legs. I have been gently combing and using pet wipes to avoid getting mats. It’s hard to do much on her back legs as she doesn’t like them touched, but she is endlessly patient with me.

Her demeanor is good, she is loving snuggles and belly rubs and sleeps in very relaxed poses. She loves her pet stairs to get on the bed, but also still jumps up.

Her three month checkup and bloodwork is in three weeks.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In agree, even with lowering AC a couple of degrees, with temps into the mid 90's to 100 and feeling hotter ours are not that ready to eat especially at night. I have been feeding later than usual. I hope your girl starts feeling better. Good luck with her blood work in three weeks.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We’ve had two bad eating days in a row, even with Mirataz. It’s been bad enough this time that she has lost several ounces. I am finger feeding baby food to get some supplemental calories. Her next vet checkup is a week from Monday.

That’s the report. I’m just feeling pretty stressed and hopeless today.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
We’ve had two bad eating days in a row, even with Mirataz. It’s been bad enough this time that she has lost several ounces. I am finger feeding baby food to get some supplemental calories. Her next vet checkup is a week from Monday.

That’s the report. I’m just feeling pretty stressed and hopeless today.
I'm sorry you're so stressed -stay hopeful,you've come this far,so very far and you can only keep doing what you've been doing which it never giving up- maybe the heat is playing a part in the decreased appetite on top of it all--- is it very hot by you,it's been here and mine are certainly eating less

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are doing everything you can. If it is hot and humid like it is here that could be playing a part. I am finding adding a little more water especially at night helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.