Am I over protecting or being wise?

else

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have two kittens, 8+ weeks old. They're settling in very nicely and are very affectionate with us /each other. I am trying to get them fully used to our house and the various noises gently so they'll feel safe and won't be scared of things. I do turn on the TV (they were pretty shocked but quickly recovered), work on projects, clanging with pots n pans etc. Mostly they're doing well, but they are skeptical about anything they're not used to, especially the female, but for the most part they quickly are okay again. I'm just worried about scaring them.
Biggest is of course the vacuum cleaner. I put it out a couple of days ago so they could get used to the machine itself, then several different times rolling it back and forth a little bit (motor off) which had them pretty worried, although male came to check it out after a bit, female looking from a distance. Today I brought it to the second floor (kittens are on main) and vacuumed for real, hallway and steps. They went ballistic according to my husband! He came over to play, which helped but they were pretty scared for a while afterwards. Now I'm afraid of vacuuming but I need them to get used to it. We're thinking to vacuum a little bit every day, away from them, to get them used to it. Is that a good plan?
For comparison, a friend took in a young stray cat in the middle of a huge remodel, very noisy and people coming and going. Kitty was terrified and hid for a good while, but then got used to it and now has no worries in the world, wandering around in the middle of the chaos greeting people.
So is it a mistake to be so careful, is it better to go about our normal life (without shocking them completely) and let them get used to it, or should we keep on being gentle?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think as long as they don't feel like you're intentionally trying to come at them with the vacuum, they will likely get used to it. They're still young and tiny, so for something so loud and big, it can seem super scary! My older cat used to be so scared to the doorbell and vacuum that he would run all the way upstairs and hide in the bedroom. But as the years went by he now gets curious and investigates when there is sound outside the door, and when I vacuum he just goes to his bed or a higher up place and watches me.

My new cat is more skittish and the first time I vacuumed he hid behind the toilet. But I keep doing it weekly and now he just goes to the cat tree and watches it as well. I'm sure your kitties will become more relaxed with time and exposure.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they will be ok either method you decide to use to expose them to it i think my cat graycie was never spooked by vacuume noise or the motions :lol: its even become a game for her now to tease the vacuume by getting in the way and dashing away for a lap around the apartment just to sit and block the way again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

else

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! They sure do have their own temperaments too, which also probably plays a role. I had a kitten years ago who wasn't afraid of anything, and as an adult I could actually vacuum the scruff of her neck. A different cat would be on high alert as soon as I opened up the closet and quickly hide if I started even messing with the vacuum. She wasn't going to take any chances! Lol

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all hide when I vacuum, or for that matter when anyone different comes in the house. They are either going to be scared of it or not, depending on the cat. Vacuuming away from them in another room is a good idea to get them more used to it. I had cats out of the same litter that one was social and came out to greet people, I had to tell him to move when I vacuumed! His brother hid immediately when I did. So it really depends on their personality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

else

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats all hide when I vacuum, or for that matter when anyone different comes in the house. They are either going to be scared of it or not, depending on the cat. Vacuuming away from them in another room is a good idea to get them more used to it. I had cats out of the same litter that one was social and came out to greet people, I had to tell him to move when I vacuumed! His brother hid immediately when I did. So it really depends on their personality.
Yes, makes sense. Thank you!