Am I over-feeding?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weighing Boone over the weekend and seeing that he's 14lbs at only 9 months old, I'm wondering if I am overfeeding him although he eats the same amount as Gracie and she is only 9lbs. I think it's because he's more lazy than Gracie and doesn't get enough exercise even though we use those fishing toys with him a lot and he can jump pretty high to "catch" it.

Per day, each cat eats 4.5oz of wet food and split 1/2 cup of dry food between the two of them and there is always some left the next day. Is that too much??? I could probably cut out one of their wet food meals per day if needed but isn't wet food low in calories and a good source of moisture??

Honestly, I don't think Boone is fat. Just solid. But now, I'm not so sure. 🤷‍♀️

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you post photos? Preferably, standing from the side and looking down on him from above. But some with him standing front on or walking are fine too.

Body condition matters more then weight. Two cats can have vastly different weights but similar body condition. For example, in my home we have three cats; 7lbs, 9lbs and 13lbs. All three have a good body condition. The 9lb is slightly underweight, the 13lb is slightly overweight and 7lb is perfect if I had to really nitpick them but none are of a concern with my vet.

Here is a body condition chart that might help. But keep in mind there are slight variations in body shape. My girl is built like a box so her shape isn't as defined from above but she is ideal body condition. Also, primordial pouches (thee skin flap between rib and back legs on the tummy) is NORMAL on cats. Having a pouch doesn't make a cat overweight, its ONLY is the pouch is a solid roundness with fat in it that it is a concern. If it free hangs and isn't rounded it is fine.

bcs-cat-min-1.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At their age that actually seems a little low. But if there's some left over and their body condition is right, they must be getting enough. Usually it's hard to overfeed cats under a year old; like human teenagers, they need a lot of calories. When they get to be around 18 months you might have to reevaluate.

I've noticed that the big males need fewer calories per pound than the small girls. Probably an activity level thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post photos? Preferably, standing from the side and looking down on him from above. But some with him standing front on or walking are fine too.

Body condition matters more then weight. Two cats can have vastly different weights but similar body condition. For example, in my home we have three cats; 7lbs, 9lbs and 13lbs. All three have a good body condition. The 9lb is slightly underweight, the 13lb is slightly overweight and 7lb is perfect if I had to really nitpick them but none are of a concern with my vet.

Here is a body condition chart that might help. But keep in mind there are slight variations in body shape. My girl is built like a box so her shape isn't as defined from above but she is ideal body condition. Also, primordial pouches (thee skin flap between rib and back legs on the tummy) is NORMAL on cats. Having a pouch doesn't make a cat overweight, its ONLY is the pouch is a solid roundness with fat in it that it is a concern. If it free hangs and isn't rounded it is fine.

View attachment 365212
Judging by that chart, I'd say he looks "overweight" from the side and "obese" from above. But from the descriptive, minus the the tucked in waist, he is "ldeal". You can feel all his bones but they aren't prominent.
At their age that actually seems a little low. But if there's some left over and their body condition is right, they must be getting enough. Usually it's hard to overfeed cats under a year old; like human teenagers, they need a lot of calories. When they get to be around 18 months you might have to reevaluate.

I've noticed that the big males need fewer calories per pound than the small girls. Probably an activity level thing.
You think 14lbs is low? :lol: Why I think Boone is "solid" as opposed to "fat" is that when he is finished eating his 1.5oz of wet food, he just walks away. He doesn't try to eat Gracie's even though he easily could because she is a very slow eater. He acts like he is fine with how much he eats and never begs for more food. The reason why I said I could skip a meal is because they aren't even around when I get home from work and feed them their mid-afternoon meal (3pm). They only come to the kitchen when they hear me open the can. Even on the weekends, I can forget to feed them in the afternoon because they aren't around to pester me.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, no, I meant their food intake!

He is a big boy but that's not too unusual for a male.

Maybe some pictures?
Oh. :lol: I will try to find some good shots that I have already posted and post them to this thread.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy I will have to take pictures later today. 99% of the ones I have of him are either him laying down or splooting. :lol2:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is a photo to give you an idea of what slightly overweight (per vet) but has a primordial pouch look. His coloring makes it a little tricky but you can see the outline of his actual belly above the pouch.

20200429_092352.jpg

Also these photos to show that angle and time of year can make a huge difference in first glance appearance. This is my 7 pound girl who really is ideal condition (per my vet who said she can gain a little but not lose any weight and how she feels when I pet her). Sitting, no side bulging and a gap between front legs and belly, tiny primordial pouch just visible.

20200809_113209.jpg

All spread out, belly up with her winter coat in though she looks downright pudgy. She is short hair but her coat gets slightly longer and noticably denser in the winter.

20201203_143127.jpg

2 seconds later in a loaf and she is ideal again.
20201203_143157.jpg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Boone didn't eat all his mid-afternoon meal or his evening meal but it did look like he ate more of the dry food during the day than normal so that would explain why. I am not going to stress too much about his size as he seems happy and healthy. We don't go back to the vet until mid-year and by then maybe he will have evened out by then.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Boone fixed? If so then once cats are fixed I start reducing calories as energy demand has decreased. Assuming he is fixed, then I would agree he is not being majorly overfed unless he is the only one consuming the dry food. Does he seem to bully your other cat for the dry food? Also, I really like the “no bowl” feeding system for dry food. Maybe try putting some or all of their dry food in these mice to stimulate hunting behavior.

DOC & PHOEBE'S CAT CO. Indoor Hunting Cat Feeder Kit - Chewy.com

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Boone fixed? If so then once cats are fixed I start reducing calories as energy demand has decreased. Assuming he is fixed, then I would agree he is not being majorly overfed unless he is the only one consuming the dry food. Does he seem to bully your other cat for the dry food? Also, I really like the “no bowl” feeding system for dry food. Maybe try putting some or all of their dry food in these mice to stimulate hunting behavior.

DOC & PHOEBE'S CAT CO. Indoor Hunting Cat Feeder Kit - Chewy.com
Yes, he is fixed. No, he isn't a bully to our other cat. When he is done with his food, he just walks away and lets her finish her own meal. I don't think he is the only one eating the dry. I see both at the bowl about the same amount. Unfortunately Boone isn't much of a hunter nor a "toy" cat so I think if I got those mice, they wouldn't be utilized.