Am I Feeding Them Ok

ravesroses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello so first off let me say I've never owned a cat before but my bf has. When we found out we wanted to adopt two Furbabies I went crazy we had to clean for them and buy toys so the shelter held them for a week so I did some research on cat diets good foods and what not I looked on the best cat food site narrowed down to tiki cat , nutrisource, and a few others at our local pet food express a chain who doesn't sell pet products or food that is harmful... For a while we were feeding them tiki cat chicken dry food and testing different wet foods including some tiki cat wet food we then narrowed down wet food to the lotus can wet food and they rotate between the (chicken ,turkey ,pork and venison) but once I found out tiki cat doesn't manufacturer in the us I was sceptical so we changed them over to nutrisource chicken dry food they love it. We feed them twice a day 1/4 cup each dry food in the morning and 1/4 each dry 1/4 of a can each of wet food and about 2 Tbls of pumpkin. Some times they will get fed 3 times a day 1/4 cup of dry in morning ech 1/4 cup dry to feed on through the day and then there wet and pumpkin before bed. I'd love to hear some feedback o. What they are eating and just to be transparent before switching them I left out tiki cat dry and nutrisource dry they did end up going to the nutrisource more I wanted to make sure it was up to their standered as well.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's ok to feed Tiki Cat because it is manufactured in Taiwan which has MUCH stricter laws about food/pet food processing than other countries which is why a lot of pet food companies choose to outsource their products in Taiwan.

If you are giving them pumpkin make sure it is actual pumpkin and not the pumpkin pie filling. But if you are feeding them a good diet, then I don't see why you need to give them pumpkin unless they are constipated.

I feed my cats 1/4 cup dry and 3-3.5 oz of wet food per day. I don't know how many calories is in your dry food, so that may be a good amount. My dry food is very high calorie, so they only need a little bit.

I know lotus is a good food, it's just a bit too expensive for my budget.

For wet food I feed Tiki Cat once a week on Saturdays ( it's too expensive to feed more often that that) and then I rotate between Dave's Chicken in gravy, Dave's chicken and tuna in gravy, Whole Earth Farms salmon in gravy, and Whole earth Farms Turkey. One of my cats will only eat the gravy kinds, and kind of picks at the tiki cat.

The food you are feeding sounds really good.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on your cats, that may be too many calories. I don't know their ages, and from what I've seen there is one formula of that kibble that is almost 450 calories per cup, so a half a cup per day on the cat is appx 225.
Cats are usually somewhere between 200-280 calories per day depending on age, activity, and individual metabolism.
Calories are a huge thing in my house because the boys collectively had to lose 12 lbs: 8 for Tom and 4 for Stew.
If you haven't checked out Chewy.com I know they carry cases of Lotus and are usually very competitive on pricing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravesroses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Depending on your cats, that may be too many calories. I don't know their ages, and from what I've seen there is one formula of that kibble that is almost 450 calories per cup, so a half a cup per day on the cat is appx 225.
Cats are usually somewhere between 200-280 calories per day depending on age, activity, and individual metabolism.
Calories are a huge thing in my house because the boys collectively had to lose 12 lbs: 8 for Tom and 4 for Stew.
If you haven't checked out Chewy.com I know they carry cases of Lotus and are usually very competitive on pricing.
I use the chart on the back of the bag as to how much to give them my female and male are super active and they are both 10 months old .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravesroses

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's ok to feed Tiki Cat because it is manufactured in Taiwan which has MUCH stricter laws about food/pet food processing than other countries which is why a lot of pet food companies choose to outsource their products in Taiwan.

If you are giving them pumpkin make sure it is actual pumpkin and not the pumpkin pie filling. But if you are feeding them a good diet, then I don't see why you need to give them pumpkin unless they are constipated.

I feed my cats 1/4 cup dry and 3-3.5 oz of wet food per day. I don't know how many calories is in your dry food, so that may be a good amount. My dry food is very high calorie, so they only need a little bit.

I know lotus is a good food, it's just a bit too expensive for my budget.

For wet food I feed Tiki Cat once a week on Saturdays ( it's too expensive to feed more often that that) and then I rotate between Dave's Chicken in gravy, Dave's chicken and tuna in gravy, Whole Earth Farms salmon in gravy, and Whole earth Farms Turkey. One of my cats will only eat the gravy kinds, and kind of picks at the tiki cat.

The food you are feeding sounds really good.
The pumpkin we give them is not filling it's pure pumkin we started doing this for hair balls cause they love grooming and our shadow wasn't drinking enough water . Our vet suggested pumpkin as a way to get more moister in the food and premote more drinking witch has seem to work.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the chart on the back of the bag as to how much to give them my female and male are super active and they are both 10 months old .
Oh yeah then they are going to eat you out of house and home. They probably aren't even though their final growth spurts yet.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
The back of the bag usually overfeeds because that'll make them more money. So just watch to see if they start to gain weight