Am I feeding my kittens incorrectly and could it be why they have gastro issues?

ManiandMelsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I’m new here and confused. I found this forum and figured maybe someone could help me. I have two 10 month old kittens named Mani (M/Gray DSH) and Melody (F/Torbico DSH). They’re brother and sister. I adopted them from an animal shelter and they were rescued from out of state, thought to be outdoor cats before being rescued. Not much is known about their history.

My husband and I adopted them in August at 4.5 months old. We got their paperwork and were told they were healthy/up to date on everything. We were naive and accepted this at face value. When we first adopted them they had what we called “Hershey squirts” - loud poops that were all liquid. We thought this was just them getting used to a new home and eating more food (they were bullied by other cats at the shelter and didn’t eat much, were bone racks!) Fast forward to the end of September, and Melody had bloody stool and started vomiting bile. I brought her to the ER vet and was told she had roundworm, hookworm, and Coccidia. We took Mani the next day and they found roundworm eggs, but treated him almost the same.

Melody was given Panacur, Albon and Ponazuril paste/powder pill. Mani was just given the panacur and Albon. They were given one treatment each. Melody was back to normal, no more bloody stools! They had two separate fecal floats, 2 weeks apart - both were negative for parasites. Mani was back to normal for awhile, but then started having Hershey squirts again. We told the vet and they prescribed Mani metronidazole. Ironically before we gave him the first dose he had a normal stool, but gave him the med for 7 days. It helped a bit but then he went back to Hershey squirts.

Told the vet that Mani still had diarrhea on and off. Vet prescribed FortiFlora SA. We’ve sprinkled it on their dinner every day for about 2 months now. It’s helped them overall but they’re still not back to normal, and it’s January. They had parasites in September!

Then I got to thinking - what if it’s something else? I thought more about the food and realized I may not be feeding them correctly. I’m giving them EACH 1/2 a 2.9oz can of wet (so 1.45oz) in the morning as well as 1/3 cup of dry food, 1.45oz of wet and 1/3 cup of dry mixed with 1/2 the FortiFlora SA packet each, and 1/3 cup of dry each at bed time to get them till the morning.

I read the bag and can and it says the following: Mani should eat 7/8 cup of dry per day and 2 cans of wet, and Melody should eat 3/4 cup of dry per day and 2 cans of wet. I think I interpreted it correctly. I’m not sure if I even am based on their weights: Mani is 12.4lbs and Mel is about 10.5lbs.

Mani is a bit of a hoover and always munches on food, even eating Melody’s food. Melody eats less food than Mani, she eats what she needs. Mani has always had more gastro issues than Melody, especially after the treatment.

I don’t believe it’s a food allergy - they’re not licking their hair off, vomiting or showing signs of allergies. They’re lively, playing, eating, drinking and growing. Mani is 12.4lbs and Melody is about 10.5lbs.

Could Mani’s issues be due to eating too much dry and not enough wet??

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ManiandMelsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2C7E9737-5232-41F8-B3F6-8B5031A09C8E.jpeg

here’s the wet food feeding guide in more detail. This one says they should get 4 cans per day. Idk how to do that lol

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible it's the food, some Cats just don't do well with certain ingredients. Though to be perfectly honest hill's is overpriced junk so it wouldn't hurt them to switch to something that's not loaded with so much plant based filler.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It definitely could be the food. Science Diet isn't know for being the best food around, despite the fact the many Vet's recommend it, even sell it :sigh:. I don't think it's the amount you are feeding though. They would either be getting too fat, or losing weight. And typically if they are eating too much too quickly, you will see vomiting (regurgitation actually), rather than "squirts".

At ten months of age, you can easily switch them over to any All Stages cat food, just slowly introduce the new dry food, maybe 25% new food to 75% old and that goes well, then 50/50 and if that goes well then 75% new and 25% old and then if that goes well you're good to feed all new food. With wet food you probably don't need to do that. Just give them new food. Look for wet food that doesn't contain grains, corn, soy, or a lot of vegies.

You might also try adding S. Boulardi to their food. It helps with diarrhea. 1/2 capsule twice a day, per cat. It's a form of probiotic. You can use it along with the FortiFlora.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hill's is overpriced junk so it wouldn't hurt them to switch to something that's not loaded with so much plant based filler.
:yeah:

Another vote for Science Diet for being just junk. Hill's Prescription Diet line is just as bad and none of the food contain any miracle ingredient that helps the condition.

If you can eliminate all dry from the diet, that would be ideal. Dry isn't good for a cat's health long term and does nothing for the teeth. It's ok to disagree with the vet about food.

Ignore the feeding amount suggestion on the label. They're usually grossly inflated, I suspect so you need to buy food more often which means more money for the pet food company and an obese pet for you. Feed the cats enough calories daily to maintain a good body weight. It's generally suggested to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily.

FortiFlora is great to get inappetent cats to eat but not so great for the probiotic quality. Use too much FortiFlora too often and you risk having a cat who will not eat any food unless FortiFlora is sprinkled on too. There are far better probiotics to use. You don't need to use a pet specific brand. A Human probiotic can be used. Here's info:

S. boulardii isn't exactly a probiotic but a yeast product that can be helpful for diarrhea. The second link above has info on how to use it and suggested brands.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also say no to science diet and feed more wet than dry. Like wellness core,tiki after dark,weruva. Always read the ingredients. No fish,at least til you determine what the problem is
CATFOODDB.COM

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

Another vote for Science Diet for being just junk. Hill's Prescription Diet line is just as bad and none of the food contain any miracle ingredient that helps the condition.

If you can eliminate all dry from the diet, that would be ideal. Dry isn't good for a cat's health long term and does nothing for the teeth. It's ok to disagree with the vet about food.

Ignore the feeding amount suggestion on the label. They're usually grossly inflated, I suspect so you need to buy food more often which means more money for the pet food company and an obese pet for you. Feed the cats enough calories daily to maintain a good body weight. It's generally suggested to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily.

FortiFlora is great to get inappetent cats to eat but not so great for the probiotic quality. Use too much FortiFlora too often and you risk having a cat who will not eat any food unless FortiFlora is sprinkled on too. There are far better probiotics to use. You don't need to use a pet specific brand. A Human probiotic can be used. Here's info:

[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]

S. boulardii isn't exactly a probiotic but a yeast product that can be helpful for diarrhea. The second link above has info on how to use it and suggested brands.
I bought Advita to use instead of fortiflora. My cat loves it. Cheaper and better ingredients. Not sure though if one is better than the another for diarrhea