Am I feeding enough?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trained my cats to sit on the scale with treats and now they love it! Every time I pull out the scale they shove each other trying to get on it. I have to take them into a room one at a time otherwise they all pile on the scale together waiting for their treat. :lol:

I agree though that weight can fluctuate daily so once a week is a good rule.
I don’t have a baby scale and I’m not convinced Krista weighs enough to activate my digital scale by herself in the bathroom. Also I’m kind of out of treats that my toothless cat can eat that doesn’t trigger some reaction in her now. Sad! When we get back to homemade, I’ll have some cooked turkey when I make stock from whatever I don’t use for food.

Monday morning, I pull the scale into the kitchen and hope I can scoop an eager and hungry Krista off the counter for a quick weigh. Otherwise I pick her off the floor for a couple of reads. My scale is frustratingly inconsistent and can sometimes give three different numbers for three different weighs (if I can get three reads of patience out of Krista.)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have a baby scale and I’m not convinced Krista weighs enough to activate my digital scale by herself in the bathroom. Also I’m kind of out of treats that my toothless cat can eat that doesn’t trigger some reaction in her now. Sad! When we get back to homemade, I’ll have some cooked turkey when I make stock from whatever I don’t use for food.

Monday morning, I pull the scale into the kitchen and hope I can scoop an eager and hungry Krista off the counter for a quick weigh. Otherwise I pick her off the floor for a couple of reads. My scale is frustratingly inconsistent and can sometimes give three different numbers for three different weighs (if I can get three reads of patience out of Krista.)
An investment in a good baby scale might be worth it! Even if she doesn’t eat treats the baby ones are just so much easier to put them on. If she likes catnip you can also tempt her with a toy?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An investment in a good baby scale might be worth it! Even if she doesn’t eat treats the baby ones are just so much easier to put them on. If she likes catnip you can also tempt her with a toy?
I don’t have space for it. Also I often self soothe myself from overworrying by acknowledging the margin of error on my scale. I pay less attention to individual readings and instead track the trend. In other words, I don’t pull hair out over a 0.1 lbs difference from one week to the next. If she is losing weight, the next week will also prove that out.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have space for it. Also I often self soothe myself from overworrying by acknowledging the margin of error on my scale. I pay less attention to individual readings and instead track the trend. In other words, I don’t pull hair out over a 0.1 lbs difference from one week to the next. If she is losing weight, the next week will also prove that out.
Yes, "overworrying" is precisely why I don't weigh our cats! Their behavior tells us all we need to know anyway -- working at home, it's pretty easy to track their appetites and demands. Beyond that, our vet will lend out her scale at certain times so if we really need one, it's there.

Despite not being a weigher, I have to say, A Azazel , that it's great that you've trained your cats like that! (We've sort of done that with toothbrushing, though a shortage of Edwina's favorite toothpaste, seafood flavor, has made brushing an unhappy daily ritual for her since we only have Ireland's poultry flavor. Cats!)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny because overworrying is why I weigh my cats! It puts me at ease to keep track of their weight. :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny because overworrying is why I weigh my cats! It puts me at ease to keep track of their weight. :)
I definitely track Krista's weight. But Krista's eating can be so variable from one day to the next that it would drive me crazy to see so many fluctuations (or not to see any if she ate really well one day and I wanted to see a result the next morning.) I try to strike a balance between trust and supervision.