am I doing this wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought in a stray, had him neutered etc. with the local TNR group, he is 3.5 years old and is not feral. date was 12/28/15  today is 1/1 so it is day 4 or 5.

I feel bad for him because I ruined his life in a sense. Now he is in the basement all alone, and I think bored to death, although he is not jumping at the windows. I have 4 other cats who are curious and I have been leaving the basement door open in the kitchen with a gate to separate, and I have been putting the strays food on the top landing so the cats can see each other. My cats are curious, the stray hisses, then my cats run.  I do go down a few times a day, scoop and feed, and sit with him, pet him, and have him on my lap. but total might be an hour a day. It is a little chilly down there, but not too cold for him, and he has a great shelter to go into.

Any advice on how to better incorporate this guy? The last two times I brought cats home, it was no problem at all. They all immediately became friends. The fact that this guy has been living on the street for 3.5 years I am sure is a factor, and I am ill equipped to figure this out.  Should I not let them see each other? At night I close the door so no one slips down. I do think this cat will kick some serious butt with my cats, and I don't want that to happen.

Thanks for the advice!

Gail

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely not a professional and I have no personal experience introducing cats but some suggestions I have read that you could try is feeding both cats at the same time on either side of the closed door, so they can tell the other is there but without seeing them, start a little ways away from the door and move them closer and closer as long as there doesn't seem to be any anxiety.

I've also read that rubbing a piece of fabric or a washcloth on each cat's cheek then putting next to the other's food dish or under it to get them used to the scent could help. Another cute thing I read was tying a string to a toy on each end and putting that under the door so they could play together. 

Maybe calm the stray down a little by locking your resident cats in your bedroom or in the basement as well and letting stray out to explore the house. He'll get used to their scent being around without having to directly interact yet. Do this a few times a day

Expect for the process to take a while, it's easier to very slowly introduce them then to try putting them together and it ending in a fight.

nsav8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a newbie too, and have only recently acquired my first two cats (former ferals).  However, I can totally relate to your worrying that the cat is lonely or bored.  I thought my cats were, too.  However, I have come to the realization that they are so much better off in a warm home with food everyday.  Most strays or ferals do not eat every day.  They eat whenever they are lucky enough to catch something.  You should focus on the fact that you took this kitty off the streets so he no longer has to worry about his safety, freezing to death, or searching for food.  I think if he could talk, he'd say he's okay with being bored if it means being in a loving home.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you start introducing cats to one another it can take time.  It may be hard for the new one to meet 4 cats at once.  I brought a 3 year old neutered male feral/stray cat into my home over 2 years ago.  He had a room of his own and it took him awhile to adjust.  At first he would throw himself repeatedly against the window and yowl and howl all night.  I did nothing but cry and wonder what I had done.  Yet, I knew I was his only chance and I had to give him time. 

Here are some suggestions:

1.  Try a feliway diffusers in the basement to help calm him

2.  You also can try  Composure calming treats or liquid.  THis may come in handy when you start introducing.

3.  Allow him to get used to you and living inside before starting introductions.  He may need 3-4 weeks. 

4.  Visit him often and start to engage him in some play time.  Try a laser pointer, wand toy or even just a string that you move around or hide under a blanket.

5.  Sit with him in on the floor to engage petting and play time

6.  If you can handle him, after a few weeks you can do some room swapping.  Put all 4 kitties safely in a room.  Then allow the new kitty to come upstairs and explore.  You also can allow the resident kitties to go down stairs to the basement while new kitty is safely upstairs somewhere. 

7.  Do some scent swapping.  I am sure all kitties are aware that an invader is in the basement and I am sure new kitty smells your resident cats.  Take a clean wash cloth and rub down your resident cats.  Be sure to get under the chin where scent glands are located.  Then take another clean wash cloth and wipe down new kitty.  Give new kitty the wash cloth of the resident cats to smell.  Then give new kitties wash cloth to your resident cats.  This lets them all get a good close up sniff.  Later you can start by rubbing the scents on the cats.

Here are some articles and a video on cat to cat intros.  The key is to take it slowly.  Most of us rush the process and have to start again.  Watch for hissing, growling, ears going flat, tail swishing.  THese are signs you are not ready to progress.

Thank you for rescuing this new kitty.  He will have a happy loving home with you and your cats.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to update this thread, I brought in "Ed" after he was neutered, etc. Unbeknownst to me, Ed HATES other cars, successfully escaped the basement 3 times, drew blood once. My life has consisted of rounding up my 4 cats into the bedroom, letting Ed out of the basement two times a day, or a variation of that routine. Ed has become a very sweet, somewhat vocal, guy, who REALLY does not want other cats around. We tried a crate for a while, and everyone got pissed off, so I put him back in the basement. I intervened for 4 cat-fights, one was outside before I brought him in. I should have known then. 

Fortunately, a friend from my hometown is going to adopt him. She has no other cats, and lost one a year or so ago. Thank the heavens! Not sure how much longer I can keep up with this routine, up and down the basement steps with my soon to be replaced knee. 

I will really miss him, because we have bonded, but he will be much happier with a human to call his own. We might have been able to get integrated, but it is much more work than I want to invest.

Tomorrow Ed leaves the building! Bittersweet, but happy for him, and me!

Status
Not open for further replies.