Am I crazy to think closing the door is a reasonable request?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok...I need to vent...

I live in the upper apartment of an old house with only 2 apartments. You go into the front door of the house and you can either go straight ahead into a little foyer leading to the lower apartment, or you can go up the stairs to our apartment. When we first moved in (in April), a month and her teenage son lived downstairs. They weren't terribly friendly (although, I'm pretty sure that is how we'd come off as well - we say hi if we see them, but pretty much mind our own business), but really didn't cause us any trouble (other than the occasional late night Rock Band sesson). However, they moved out and in August/September, a new person moved in. A woman in her 50s and her 12 year old granddaughter.

They are really no problem in terms of noise, etc. They were smoking in the apartment (non-smoking) and I could smell it, but it has stopped since I spoke to the landlord.

However, they always leave the front door open! It drives me nuts. They leave it open when they let their dog out (they tie it out on the front lawn...another issue...I don't like it, but there's not much I can do about that one...although we do have a perfectly good back/side yard). They leave the door open and the door to their foyer open so that the dog can come and scratch on their main apartment door when she wants in. They door is also regularly partially shut but unlatched because the 12 year old is too lazy to shut the door properly (it's not a regular door knob...a latch that you have to left, close, and release)...it's a pain in the butt, but once you get used to it, there's not much to it.

I've spoken to the landlord in the past and he's said he's spoken to them. However, the problem continues to persist. I've been letting it slide, mainly because usually I'm in a hurry to get somewhere or have my hands full of stuff. I've mentioned it to the girl, but I have no idea if that message ever made it to Grandma. However, today I came home, I'm on vacation, and the door was open. So, I knocked on the door and asked to speak to my neighbour. I asked if she could please make sure the door was shut. Her response is "No, not when the dog is out...we can't hear her if the door is shut and she just scratches on the outside door"...my response "That's not OK...you need to find another solution to that problem." So then she defers to a problem SHE has..."when you lock the outside door in the middle of the day, my granddaughter gets locked out because she doesn't have a key"...I thought my response of "then you need to get her a key" was fairly reasonable. However, after basically saying that I can stop locking the door in the middle of the day until they get her a key and requesting again that they keep the front door shut, I said thanks, turned around, and got the door SLAMMED behind me. Then, 2 minutes later I went to look for something in my car, and the dog had been let in, but the door was still wide open.

OK...I didn't think this was such an unreasonable request...or one that deserved such a rude response. It's cold...our apartment is freezing. Having the front door open does not help matters. Plus, it's like inviting people in. Yes, we have a deadbolt on our apartment door. However, my car was broken into a month or two back and I'm not all that trusting these days. It's also a risk to MY animals, since if they happened to get out our apartment door, there would be a wide open doorway to outside....one of the reasons I liked this apartment was the 2-door buffer zone to prevent escape. Plus..heck...call me crazy, but I just think a door should be shut.

In any case, after getting her response...I just called the landlord and asked him to deal with it. He completely agreed with me, but we'll see what becomes.

I didn't even mention the whole shutting the patio sensor light off, leaving garbage on the front porch, leaving the dog's leash (which basically consists of 4 ugly leashes tied together) sprawled out all over the front porch, and leaving the dog outside barking for 20 minutes (yeah...they can't hear her in their apartment...right) thing....subtle hints haven't been working...so I'm not sure how I'll approach that one...maybe I'll wait until after the holidays to tick them off more!

I don't think I expect too much of my neighbours to show the same sort of respect to the exterior of the house as I do...it's not the prettiest place to begin with (nice house, needs some TLC and $$$), but we can help my keeping the trash/junk away.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMO I would persistantly talk to your landlord as you dont want to get into an ugly dispute with your unreasonable neighbors.

You need to tell your landlord that you feel unsafe with the door to the building open all the time .

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

You need to tell your landlord that you feel unsafe with the door to the building open all the time .
that puts the landlord on notice that this is a safety issue, and if your laws are similar to ours, makes him liable if anything should happen.
It is also a safety issue for the girl, whether she & her grandmother realize that or not - for goodness sakes, she needs a key!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I called my landlord right after I got the door slammed behind me and he agreed with me (said he wasn't aware it was continuing to happen) and called them right away. He called me back after speaking with her and she is supposedly going to close the door from now on.

Worse case scenerio, he said he would put a new, self-closing/locking door on so that they can't keep it open anymore. It won't look as suitable for the house (the current door has some character to match the age of the house), but at least it will be closed!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those self closing/locking doors are nice but I have seen lots of people keep them propped open.

I hope this solves your problem. ^_^ I'm sorry you have rude neighbors. That girl definately needs a key to get in, what happens if she gets locked out and her grandma can't get up to let her in? There could be an emergency!!

I swear people dont think of these things!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're not being unreasonable at all. They're inconsiderate neighbors.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think you are crazy for wanting the door closed. I know you were just venting and not asking for advice, and I'm not going to give any.

If you want to know what I would do in your situation, though, I would bake a plate of cookies and go over and give them as a peace offering, asking if we could talk and work out an agreement.

Lots of times I've found out that people are just trying to deal with their own stuff, and tough times in life. Looking at it from the grandma's point of view, I'd think funnily enough, maybe I had been making her life more difficult by closing the door.

I'd try to talk about it, suggest an extra key for the girl, who knows maybe they have a good excuse why they haven't gotten one yet. There's a story why the woman is raising her granddaughter, I'll guess it's not a happy one. I'm not saying they are good neighbors - they sound really annoying, but I'd try to have a friendly relationship. I'd hope that they might want to cooperate since that's nicer for them, too.

Anyway, I'd try really hard to talk and win them over before things escalate. That's what I'd do.
Good luck!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

No, I don't think you are crazy for wanting the door closed. I know you were just venting and not asking for advice, and I'm not going to give any.

If you want to know what I would do in your situation, though, I would bake a plate of cookies and go over and give them as a peace offering, asking if we could talk and work out an agreement.

Lots of times I've found out that people are just trying to deal with their own stuff, and tough times in life. Looking at it from the grandma's point of view, I'd think funnily enough, maybe I had been making her life more difficult by closing the door.

I'd try to talk about it, suggest an extra key for the girl, who knows maybe they have a good excuse why they haven't gotten one yet. There's a story why the woman is raising her granddaughter, I'll guess it's not a happy one. I'm not saying they are good neighbors - they sound really annoying, but I'd try to have a friendly relationship. I'd hope that they might want to cooperate since that's nicer for them, too.

Anyway, I'd try really hard to talk and win them over before things escalate. That's what I'd do.
Good luck!
You know, I get where you are coming from here. And I have in the past got the neighbours something small...a box of chocolates, etc. Just something to say Merry Christmas...and honestly, we don't generally become best friends with our neighbours...we do tend to be the type of people who mind our own business. However, we are always cordial and considerate.

My landlord told me last night that there are some personal things going on in her life. He didn't say what, but it did sound like it was a matter of bad timing. I'm sorry for this...but it was not something I could predict. Plus, this was not the first they had heard of it...it was just the first time I went directly to the source (the grandmother) to solve the problem.

HOWEVER...I have had a very stressful last couple of months. I have been feeling horrible physically, mentally, and emotionally. I have been working 12 hours a day and coming home exhausted. And when I come home and the door is open for the thousanth time (or their is garbage on the front porch), that is bad timing for ME and makes my life more difficult and stressful! But, I would NEVER slam the door on someone....to me, that's one of the rudest things you can do. And not an acceptable response to ANYONE, no matter how much you don't like what they are saying or what is going on in your life.

So, while I completely understand your suggestion, and it's probably what I should do, I cannot bring myself to bring them cookies, chocolates, etc. just to "suck up." If there was a compromise to be had here, than perhaps I could do it just to work that out, but there really is no question here. Door needs to be closed. Always. And her response was a flat out - NO. However, perhaps on Christmas day, I will bring down a box of chocolates or something...as a Christmas gift as opposed to a peace offering, as it is something that I would usually do anyway.

I hope that makes sense...

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

However, perhaps on Christmas day, I will bring down a box of chocolates or something...as a Christmas gift as opposed to a peace offering, as it is something that I would usually do anyway.

I hope that makes sense...
I wouldn't bring them anything. Whether there's something going on in her life or not, that's no reason to be rude to you. She might have a good reason for being edgy, but that doesn't make it OK to treat you the way she did.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

I wouldn't bring them anything. Whether there's something going on in her life or not, that's no reason to be rude to you. She might have a good reason for being edgy, but that doesn't make it OK to treat you the way she did.
I agree with you. The issues you are having with these people are intolerable. The door being left open is just the tip of the ice berg. Your personal safety and that of anyone living with you, including your pets. Not to mention the danger of being robbed. Not to mention your heat bills, with the door left open.

Leashes left on the steps are again, a safety issue. All it would take is for you to trip over them once and break something. Does your landlord want that kind of liabitliy hanging over his neck?

Did you say trash being left about? Depreciation of his property, drawing rodents and other undesirable disease carriers.

Don't even get me started on a barking dog. That is something I will tolerate about twice. Just ask any of my neighbors, haha. (seriously)

These tenants are bad news, and I would fuss at the landlord until they are following the rules, move out, or are kicked out.

So what the woman has problems, so do we all. Personal problems are no excuse for this kind of antisocial slum behavior. You have rights, and I am glad you are fighting for them.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS

I would be putting all this stuff in writing. What is wrong, and what you have said to the tenants, and your landlord, and when. Keep notes on everything. Times, dates, and responses. And don't give up. Rude people like that get away with things because people just give up, "it's not worth the trouble". Your safety and peace of mind is worth the trouble.

Are these leased apartments, or month to month?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the responses anyone. What I think I'll do is leave it alone until after Christmas. I already have a letter wrote up that I just never got around to giving them about all of these issues. I think I'll edit the issue, hopefully saying thank you for keeping the door closed, and then listing all my other concerns. I tend to explain myself better and "hold firm" better in writing, so I think that's a better idea than going down there to talk to them again.

The apartments are rented on a yearly lease. At least ours is...not sure about what they signed when they moved in. I'm a little ticked off at the landlord because when the others moved out, he promised that he would be selective when he picked new tenants. However, he basically gave the place to the first people who came in (who actually looked like they would have been great!), but when they backed out, he just went with these people...who I could tell from the beginning were a little "rough around the edges" (nothing wrong with that, as long as you are considerate).

In any case....I will revise the letter and deliver after Christmas...and forward a copy onto my landlord as well. Unfortunately, none of the issues are really grounds for an eviction, from what I know. It's quite tricky for a landlord to evict tenants here...not that I think my landlord wants to do that as he lives 2 hours away and has a second baby on the way...so finding new tenants would be a pain.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like your idea of giving them something small (candy/cookies) for Christmas. While they may not deserve any act of kindness from you; just remember the saying about it being easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar. Good luck!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the responses anyone. What I think I'll do is leave it alone until after Christmas. I already have a letter wrote up that I just never got around to giving them about all of these issues. I think I'll edit the issue, hopefully saying thank you for keeping the door closed, and then listing all my other concerns. I tend to explain myself better and "hold firm" better in writing, so I think that's a better idea than going down there to talk to them again.

The apartments are rented on a yearly lease. At least ours is...not sure about what they signed when they moved in. I'm a little ticked off at the landlord because when the others moved out, he promised that he would be selective when he picked new tenants. However, he basically gave the place to the first people who came in (who actually looked like they would have been great!), but when they backed out, he just went with these people...who I could tell from the beginning were a little "rough around the edges" (nothing wrong with that, as long as you are considerate).

In any case....I will revise the letter and deliver after Christmas...and forward a copy onto my landlord as well. Unfortunately, none of the issues are really grounds for an eviction, from what I know. It's quite tricky for a landlord to evict tenants here...not that I think my landlord wants to do that as he lives 2 hours away and has a second baby on the way...so finding new tenants would be a pain.
I think it's a better idea to communicate directly with the landlord and let HIM communicate with the other tenants. That's not your job, you're not getting paid any management fees, and it can make things a lot more difficult, especially since they have shown they can be capable of being rude and uncivil.

And as for the landlord living 2 hours away with a baby on the way.... well that is not your problem! If he wants to let you live there rent free to manage the house/tenants/property then cool, get an agreement signed up with him, otherwise he better step up and deal with HIS property. I'm sure no one forced him to buy a place to rent out that far away.

I have no patience with people anymore. I just get so mad when people try to pass the buck and shake off responsibility. And rude neighbors...
!!

Heh, I'm only 28 and I'm already crotchety!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You know, I get where you are coming from here....
You have to make the calls on how to handle the situation and I know you will handle it well. Only you know the situation (I'm not living it). I'm glad you understand that I was just saying what I would try first. I've been in this kind of situation a few times and life was easier when I could get on a friendly basis with the neighbors (not always possible, though).

Keep in mind whatever you write to the neighbors will sound twice as critical as you mean for it to.

To me that would be all the more reason to make an effort with them.

I would shelve the letter, and take the first reasonable opportunity to tell the grandma (sincerely) that I thought a lot of her taking on the raising her granddaughter and that's not an easy thing to do. I don't have to know the circumstances to know they've been dealt a blow. Anyway, she might open up and respond to my kindness, but she might not. At any rate, she'd have better feelings towards me (being ticked off is not going to make her close the door more often).

You don't have to talk about yourself, just give her an opportunity to open up to you. You don't have to be friends, just friendly. Hope it works out.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've been on both side of the fense before. As another member already said, I'd let the landlord handle this. It's his property. He wants to rent it out as fast as possible in order to generate income and needs to deal with the problems. If things turn ugly between you & the other tenant, situation can get messy.