Am I crazy? (Questions, self-doubt, looking for reassurance)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen2massage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well clearly you are a very considerate and responsible owner with a tent like that!

We recently finally bought a small enclosure for our porch for the kitties for Christmas (we had plans to build one but haven’t managed to get our yard successfully leveled yet). I can’t wait to get it outside and have the kitties have access to more fresh air than the windows alone allow!

Unfortunately that’ll have to wait a bit longer though, as there’s some contagion going through the house right now, so we actually had to construct it in our dining room for an extra isolation space :lol:

View attachment 315091

View attachment 315092

I know introductions can be so frustrating, but they are obviously in good hands :) I’ve definitely had many cats and fosters take months to acclimate. And my boyfriend tends to make assumptions similar to yours about cat intros. Sometimes he’s right, but other times, not so much 😆

Just be sure to utilize vertical space to the best of your ability, follow the one litterbox per cat + 1 rule (at least at first - you can revisit this based on how well they ultimately end up getting on later and their individual potty needs/habits), ensure each cat has their own food bowl, and preferably water bowl too (water is something you can also reconsider once everyone is established and settled).

If you haven’t already, be sure to check out Jackson Galaxy (very reputable cat behaviorist) and his show, My Cat From Hell - the two primary issues he deals with are inappropriate elimination and disharmony between cats/proper (re-)introductions.

His show is really entertaining and educational so I do highly recommend it, but if you don’t have time for full episodes, he also has a blog, Facebook, and YouTube channel with essentially a condensed version of the same information in My Cat From Hell.
What a cool cat set up!!! You're little nuggets are pretty lucky as well! I actually have a meeting with a contractor tomorrow to see about building a small catio/screen porch my the cats and myself. Just something big enough to put a couple chairs and so they can have more access to the outdoors.
And yes, I have been binge watching My Cat From Hell and taking lots of good tips from him. I think the biggest thing really is time and patience. We're getting there, just very slowly. :)

Jen2massage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well clearly you are a very considerate and responsible owner with a tent like that!

We recently finally bought a small enclosure for our porch for the kitties for Christmas (we had plans to build one but haven’t managed to get our yard successfully leveled yet). I can’t wait to get it outside and have the kitties have access to more fresh air than the windows alone allow!

Unfortunately that’ll have to wait a bit longer though, as there’s some contagion going through the house right now, so we actually had to construct it in our dining room for an extra isolation space :lol:

View attachment 315091

View attachment 315092

I know introductions can be so frustrating, but they are obviously in good hands :) I’ve definitely had many cats and fosters take months to acclimate. And my boyfriend tends to make assumptions similar to yours about cat intros. Sometimes he’s right, but other times, not so much 😆

Just be sure to utilize vertical space to the best of your ability, follow the one litterbox per cat + 1 rule (at least at first - you can revisit this based on how well they ultimately end up getting on later and their individual potty needs/habits), ensure each cat has their own food bowl, and preferably water bowl too (water is something you can also reconsider once everyone is established and settled).

If you haven’t already, be sure to check out Jackson Galaxy (very reputable cat behaviorist) and his show, My Cat From Hell - the two primary issues he deals with are inappropriate elimination and disharmony between cats/proper (re-)introductions.

His show is really entertaining and educational so I do highly recommend it, but if you don’t have time for full episodes, he also has a blog, Facebook, and YouTube channel with essentially a condensed version of the same information in My Cat From Hell.
May I ask where you got the awesome cat enclosure? It's so neat!

Jen2massage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I was just reading your thread, looking for ideas because we are in the process of an intro as well - and I saw this picture. I have to ask: where did you get the awesome tent? Do you have a link/website, etc? That looks great for letting the kitties enjoy the outdoors and keeping them safe as well.
Oh good luck! Feel free to contact me anytime if you need help. We're still a work in process over here, so it's great to bounce ideas off each other. It can be really overwhelming at times and sometimes I feel completely lost. It's nice to share ideas with others going through the process as well. Regarding the tent, I don't recall the exact brand, (it was a few years ago), but it was from Amazon. This is pretty much it. Kubo could sit out there all day! I think it's so important to get them fresh air and hear the birds, etc..
Am I crazy? (Questions, self-doubt, looking for reassurance)

Jen2massage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I was just reading your thread, looking for ideas because we are in the process of an intro as well - and I saw this picture. I have to ask: where did you get the awesome tent? Do you have a link/website, etc? That looks great for letting the kitties enjoy the outdoors and keeping them safe as well.
let me try that again...

Jen2massage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been through several adult cat introductions. We were very lucky that none of ours were very territorial or interested in fighting, so I don't know if this will be very helpful, but I think a positive attitude helps a lot. If you are feeling tense when the cats can see one another, I think they pick up on it and become tense themselves and are more likely to lash out. I know it's easier said than done trying to be calm and Zen all the time, but I think it does make a huge difference in how the cats feel. Whenever we have had an intro, there is never a doubt in my mind that eventually everyone will get along, and they always have. I'm guessing that positive belief is what helps me stay calm. I don't know how helpful this is, but I've found that the less stressed I am, the less stressed the babies are. Wishing the best of luck to you all.

Jen2massage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have been through several adult cat introductions. We were very lucky that none of ours were very territorial or interested in fighting, so I don't know if this will be very helpful, but I think a positive attitude helps a lot. If you are feeling tense when the cats can see one another, I think they pick up on it and become tense themselves and are more likely to lash out. I know it's easier said than done trying to be calm and Zen all the time, but I think it does make a huge difference in how the cats feel. Whenever we have had an intro, there is never a doubt in my mind that eventually everyone will get along, and they always have. I'm guessing that positive belief is what helps me stay calm. I don't know how helpful this is, but I've found that the less stressed I am, the less stressed the babies are. Wishing the best of luck to you all.
Thank you! And I agree with all that 100% :)

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Whoops, double post!

Last edited:

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
May I ask where you got the awesome cat enclosure? It's so neat!

We actually purchased two and combined them. Apparently they made it with that in mind and so it is incredibly simple to do.

Few downsides, though -

- It needs to be aired out, OMG.

We were in a hurry to get this thing up... my boyfriend started while I was still at work and doesn’t think anything of smells... but it was bad. Took at least 4 days of open windows and 3 portable air purifiers (two of which are actually pretty big and heavy duty) for the smell to dissipate from our noses, then I gave it another three before sticking a cat in there.

Under different, normal circumstances though, I would have let it air out outside for at least two weeks before allowing a cat access.

- The wood is soft. We were able to add additional shelves/walkways with very little issue, but we were white knuckling it when drilling!

- The latches are not raccoon-proof. Cheap and easy fix, though.

- Mesh is kind of weak/flimsy. We’re going to reinforce it with hardware cloth once it’s outside. I’m not entirely confident that the mesh is strong enough to withstand an adult cat climbing it, and larger predators like coyotes and med-large dogs would have no issue ripping through it if they were so inclined and determined to do so (our backyard is a rural area and we’re surrounded by dog owners). Even a raccoon might be able to. Relatively cheap and easy to fix.

Other than those points of contention, construction is surprisingly sturdy. The ability to make it easily portable with the wheels makes it great for decks and porches.

Shipping was also relatively quick even though it’s not available with Prime - only took about 2-3 days to reach south Texas. And assembly was a breeze other than the drilling into softish wood part.

Aside from additional shelving, we’ve also added:

- A regular crate hammock. We have about six different brands, but five of these as they’re huge, durable, multilevel, and both levels are very plush, so kitties love them -

Amazon.com : KitCat Cat Hammock Ferret Rabbit Small Dogs Small Pet Easy to Attach to A Cage (Tiger Double, Large) : Pet Supplies

- This hammock in grey -

Amazon.com : Strong Hanging Cat Hammock - Plush Pet Shelf - Folds Easily for Travel - Hang Anywhere (Beige) : Pet Supplies

30F3ED4B-3DEF-4B5F-95FF-0F5BA9C651FF.jpeg

- A small cat tree

And after we add hardware cloth, we’ll add one or two of our crate scratching posts ()

And once outside, a mosquito net for heartworm protection.

But for now, while it’s inside, our cat Toby quite likes jumping on top of it from his window seat in order to better survey his kingdom. 😆

21E374E6-C6E5-47E0-9FB3-1CDF75D781BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Jen2massage

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We actually purchased two and combined them. Apparently they made it with that in mind and so it is incredibly simple to do.

Few downsides, though -

- It needs to be aired out, OMG.

We were in a hurry to get this thing up... my boyfriend started while I was still at work and doesn’t think anything of smells... but it was bad. Took at least 4 days of open windows and 3 portable air purifiers (two of which are actually pretty big and heavy duty) for the smell to dissipate from our noses, then I gave it another three before sticking a cat in there.

Under different, normal circumstances though, I would have let it air out outside for at least two weeks before allowing a cat access.

- The wood is soft. We were able to add additional shelves/walkways with very little issue, but we were white knuckling it when drilling!

- The latches are not raccoon-proof. Cheap and easy fix, though.

- Mesh is kind of weak/flimsy. We’re going to reinforce it with hardware cloth once it’s outside. I’m not entirely confident that the mesh is strong enough to withstand an adult cat climbing it, and larger predators like coyotes and med-large dogs would have no issue ripping through it if they were so inclined and determined to do so (our backyard is a rural area and we’re surrounded by dog owners). Even a raccoon might be able to. Relatively cheap and easy to fix.

Other than those points of contention, construction is surprisingly sturdy. The ability to make it easily portable with the wheels makes it great for decks and porches.

Shipping was also relatively quick even though it’s not available with Prime - only took about 2-3 days to reach south Texas. And assembly was a breeze other than the drilling into softish wood part.

Aside from additional shelving, we’ve also added:

- A regular crate hammock. We have about six different brands, but five of these as they’re huge, durable, multilevel, and both levels are very plush, so kitties love them -

Amazon.com : KitCat Cat Hammock Ferret Rabbit Small Dogs Small Pet Easy to Attach to A Cage (Tiger Double, Large) : Pet Supplies

- This hammock in grey -

Amazon.com : Strong Hanging Cat Hammock - Plush Pet Shelf - Folds Easily for Travel - Hang Anywhere (Beige) : Pet Supplies

View attachment 315540

- A small cat tree

And after we add hardware cloth, we’ll add one or two of our crate scratching posts ()

And once outside, a mosquito net for heartworm protection.

But for now, while it’s inside, our cat Toby quite likes jumping on top of it from his window seat in order to better survey his kingdom. 😆

View attachment 315541
you guys went all out! That's so cool. The smell sounds terrible. I wonder if that was chemicals to treat the wood?
Either way, it looks great and I love the idea of your changes and additions. That gives me some good ideas.
Thanks! Happy New Year! :)

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
you guys went all out! That's so cool. The smell sounds terrible. I wonder if that was chemicals to treat the wood?
Either way, it looks great and I love the idea of your changes and additions. That gives me some good ideas.
Thanks! Happy New Year! :)
Definitely reeked of chemicals! :barfgreen:

Happy New Year!