AM I being too sensitive???????

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, for the past 8 months the transfer of my boss of 9 years to Europe had been in the works. The transfer itself was always a definate but the when was up in the air due to contract negotiations. Now, everything has been finalized for him and his last day is in early February.

For the longest time I have been told don't worry about things, you have nothing to worry about. But until last week no one address the issue of my future job security with me (which made me very very nervouse) - and that only happened because I confronted my boss who then pushed the issue with the powers to be.

As it turns out they had not even thought about what to do with me and that became even more clear with an email that was sent out to the corp. dept. heads. Basically the first line of the email stated my bosses successor is keeping his assistant (which I expected) and the sucessors sucessor dosen't want me
- how politically incorrect is this coming from the Head of an international company!!!!! Then gives two job functions which he has me in mind for but at the same time offers me on a silver platter and states that if anyone else is interested in me to let him know!

Now the President is supposed to talk to me on Friday about my future job functions. I know that maybe I am supposed to be greatful that they are not getting rid of me, which they could at any time since I do not have a contract, but I am just so very disappointed on how this whole situation has been handled.

Am I just being too sensitive???

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that's pretty, well, retarded! I think this issue could have been handled ALOT better, but then we all know that the higher ups have no people skills that don't involve butt-kissing
i don't think you're being over sensitive, just genuinely worried about your job and irritated at how this whole situation is being handled, which I think is totally warranted! best of luck!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
No, you're not. First of all, the situation should have been described in much more tactful terms, and secondly, it should only have been made accessible to department heads, i.e., you shouldn't have become aware of the email or its contents.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

No, you're not. First of all, the situation should have been described in much more tactful terms, and secondly, it should only have been made accessible to department heads, i.e., you shouldn't have become aware of the email or its contents.

Unless this is a small company (50 or less) they should not have included you (reason I say small company is when its 50 or less you usually find out anyways and most will just start to include you).

Anyhoo, it was definitely wrong of the heads to say "whoever wants her can have her". The email should have been stated as:

"We are looking to place Hell603 in another role as the current department she is in is being reconstructed. Please email me if you have need for an extra hand in your department. She is a value to our company."

As for your current boss he's already cutting the strings to where his now. That is why he directed you elsewhere, so don't put too much blame towards him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I needed a sounding board

I had a lot on my plate lately and this just topped it off. When I saw that email my blood began to boil, - my ears turned bright red and were burning - if I could have I would have screamed. The amount of disrespect just amazes me. I feel like I am right were I was a little over 9 years ago when I went job hunting due to a similar situation.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be disapointed in how they handled the situation too. But I guess all as you can do is hope for the best, maybe something good will come out of all of this.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh that is rude! What a way to handle the situation!
I agree that that email definitely shouldn't have been shown to you, unless your boss wanted to make you fully aware of the situation.
Good luck on how this works out.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603

Now the President is supposed to talk to me on Friday about my future job functions. I know that maybe I am supposed to be greatful that they are not getting rid of me, which they could at any time since I do not have a contract, but I am just so very disappointed on how this whole situation has been handled.

Am I just being too sensitive???
No. Well - a little bit. It's not a nice situation to be in, and you're right to be disappointed. However, it does look like a genuine attempt to remedy the situation is being made; even if you don't feel it, try to be as gracious about it as possible - it's not only polite, it's more professional. Even if it doesn't work out, and you end up leaving - they'll remember your graciousness in your references later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

No. Well - a little bit. It's not a nice situation to be in, and you're right to be disappointed. However, it does look like a genuine attempt to remedy the situation is being made; even if you don't feel it, try to be as gracious about it as possible - it's not only polite, it's more professional. Even if it doesn't work out, and you end up leaving - they'll remember your graciousness in your references later.
I just feel so insulted!

However you are absolutely correct about being gracious and professional !! That way, if I decide that the situation is not working out I can leave on my own terms !!!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hell603

I just feel so insulted!

However you are absolutely correct about being gracious and professional !! That way, if I decide that the situation is not working out I can leave on my own terms !!!
I know. I wish I could make the hurt go away; it's an ugly situation to be in.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Helen - at a small company, it would be one thing. But at a large one? I so understand why you're hurt and insulted. It was handled incredibly poorly! On the other hand, by taking the high road, you are so much more in control of the situation! BTW - I'd print out and keep a hard copy of that e-mail! Being a large international company with deep pockets, you never know if it may come in handy depending upon how things develop.

Laurie

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

...However, it does look like a genuine attempt to remedy the situation is being made...
Very true. I think your boss is the one who dropped the ball.

If it's too hard to be gracious, I'd be up front to the president and tell him in a simple, non-accusitory statement, how you feel about the way things were handled up to this point. Then I'd be quiet and listen to what he has to say in regard to an apology and job prospects. Good luck!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch