Am I being scammed?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the question I have been asking myself since I went to America’s Best and spent $400 on two pairs of glasses that I’m not sure I really need. I had been having headaches and pressure around my eyes, having eye strain and blurry vision after looking at my phone for a while, etc. I mentioned these symptoms to my nurse practitioner (don’t have a doctor), and she recommended that I go to America’s Best because it would be cheaper for me. I don’t have insurance. Anyway, they told me that I am farsighted and have astigmatism. I have 20/30 vision in one eye and 20/60 vision in the other, according to them. They told me that I need prescription glasses with bifocal lenses and that I would need to wear them all the time. I took their word for it since they are the “experts.” I wonder two things though: Would America’s Best fudge the results of the eye exam to make me think I need glasses when I don’t (to get my money)? Also, if the test is accurate, do I really need to wear glasses permanently if my worse eye is 20/60? That doesn’t seem that bad to me. I can see the world around me just fine. Nothing is blurry or distorted unless I am reading. I actually have some over the counter cheap reading glasses that seem to work just fine, even if I do get headaches. That was a long post. Sorry. I just need some advice.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20/60 means what you see at twenty feet, a person with 20/20 vision can see at 60 feet. So, yes, that is bad. 20/30 is so so, at 20/40 a prescription is needed. To see if they are scamming you, get a vision chart and measure twenty feet away and see if you can see it, with one eye, and then the other covered. I really doubt they are scamming you. You are used to seeing how you see. You don't know any different. Aren't there individual leaves on trees and other crisper vision when you are wearing your glasses? If I was you, I would get glasses next time for far vision and use readers for close. That is cheaper. A good quality pair of glasses now with trifocals, for far, medium and near vision are usually around 800.00-1200.00 a pair with the exam. You definitely got a good price on yours, though they have no medium vision. (like for reading labels on store shelves from the isle, seeing your odometer clearer, etc.)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glasses aren't really something that they can lie about. Either your vision is better with the glasses, or they aren't. Your symptoms sound a heck of a lot like what happens if my perscription is off (in the past because my vision was changing still). You might not feel like wearing them all the time is worth it because you've adapted to not having them. You have side effects from the adaptation but you are used to it so it's normal.

Try this, wear them all the time for the next two weeks. Then see what it is like without them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try this, wear them all the time for the next two weeks. Then see what it is like without them.
Yep, it takes a while for your brain to catch up with your eyes, lol.

That's a very good price. And, no, they wouldn't fake it; the eye doctor is an actual eye doctor, even at the lower-cost places, and would lose their license if they falsified anything. There are plenty of people who need glasses, they don't need to fake anything :tongue: .

For other glasses people---Costco also has excellent prices. My mom can get her progressive trifocals for under $300 and they'd be $800 anywhere else. So far I only need single-vision lenses so the savings aren't that much for me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my son failed his vision screening at the pediatrician he didn’t know anything was wrong. He would rub his eyes and I thought it was allergies (was probably both). The moment he put his first glasses on and looked across the room he shouted “woah!” and the whole clinic cracked up. 😅He didn’t know anything was different for him!

$400 is very very good for 2 pairs of glasses! My last pair were about that price for just one set. I hit a BOGO offer at Sears once and managed to get sunglasses and an extra pair of regular glasses at a good price but often its much more to get the sunglasses also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is my first experience with glasses, so I’m not sure what these fancy lenses are supposed to do. They are progressive bifocals, whatever that means. Apparently, I
If you look through the bottom, you can use them for reading. I ordered them, but they won’t be ready for another couple of weeks—not sure why it takes so long.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, I didn’t do the sunglasses. I didn’t want to pay another $70 more. I have been rubbing my eyes a lot too. I just assumed I was tired. I hope I have a “whoa” moment like your son when I get my glasses, so I can justify getting them!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard you can get good results on glasses purchased online from Glasses – Glasses Online – Prescription Glasses | Zenni Optical Some have claimed they even got progressive lenses they were pleased with. You need to have a prescription and PD measurement. I have not presonally gotten glasses from them, but I'm considering trying them since I no longer have vision insurance. Frames as cheap as $7. I don't know how much for the lenses, I guess it depends on what you want like anti glare, tint, etc.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think they are scamming you as far as needing glasses and giving you correct ones. America's Best scam is too lure people in with ads for real low prices but the real price is more. I don't know if they are actually cheaper then others. The last pair I got was several years ago and I got progressive bifocals. I think the price was right around $400.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, I didn’t do the sunglasses. I didn’t want to pay another $70 more. I have been rubbing my eyes a lot too. I just assumed I was tired. I hope I have a “whoa” moment like your son when I get my glasses, so I can justify getting them!
Even if you don't have the whoa moment, wear them for two weeks non stop and then see what is different when you take them off. Do know, it can take three days for you to adjust to having glasses which can sometimes be a little disorientating.

There was a study one time where they had someone wear glasses that made everything upside down. Experiments show we quickly adjust to seeing everything upside-down which shows our eyes and brain will adapt to what they see as normal. Once you get used to the world with the glasses you will be able to realize what was wrong with how you are seeing now.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are progressive bifocals, whatever that means.
Progressive bifocals means that there's no line on the glasses - the part for near vision at the bottom of the lens gradually changes to the part for distance vision at the top of the lens. It's almost like getting trifocals for the price of bifocals, and it's much easier to adjust to than traditional bifocals.

The first time I got glasses (when I was 7 or 8) I remember walking out of the optometrist's office wearing my glasses and it was like walking into fairyland, everything was so clear and vivid. There was a tree, and I could actually see individual leaves! I hadn't even realized that I wasn't seeing them until suddenly I could again.

misty8723 misty8723 , I've heard good things about Zenni Optical as well.

Margret

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard you can get good results on glasses purchased online from Glasses – Glasses Online – Prescription Glasses | Zenni Optical Some have claimed they even got progressive lenses they were pleased with. You need to have a prescription and PD measurement. I have not presonally gotten glasses from them, but I'm considering trying them since I no longer have vision insurance. Frames as cheap as $7. I don't know how much for the lenses, I guess it depends on what you want like anti glare, tint, etc.
Actually, the entire pair of glasses with lenses can be as low as $7.00 if your prescription is not too strong and you don't want extras. I've been using Zenni for several years and I am very happy with them. The most expensive pair I got was sunglasses, polarized, oil resistant coating and anti-glare. I paid $55 on sale.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take getting used to glasses!

I’ve worn them since I was 7 so my prescription is pretty strong and I need lightweight lenses. At this point my vision doesn’t really change so they last me several years. I just consider it an investment in my eye health to make sure I get something i won’t hate that is supposed to help take care of my eyes.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I have kind of a dumb question now. Could the eye doctor have mixed up my eyes and put down the wrong information about which eye I am having difficulty with? When I cover my right eye, I can see okay out of my left, but when I cover my left eye and look through my right, text becomes blurry. However, I thought the eye doctor told me that I have 20/60 vision in my left eye and 20/30 in my right, meaning my right eye has better vision. I thought that maybe I just misunderstood her, but when I really looked at the prescription today, it shows that my left eye is worse. I don’t think this is correct. OS is the left eye and OD is the right. I have included a picture of the prescription, without giving away too much of my personal information. Does anybody know anything about this stuff?
DC685D93-327B-4BC9-AE59-3907368598AA.jpeg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eyeglass places will adjust and/or replace your glasses if needed, until they're right. Give them a try and if something is very wrong, tell the doctor right away (like if it makes your vision immediately worse), otherwise give them a couple weeks so you can adjust.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I finally picked up my glasses today, and it is not going well. I was expecting to see everything more clearly (like everyone says), but that was not the case. They just make everything blurry. I can see better without them. It also looks like the floors and walls are folding and bending toward me. I can’t wear the glasses for more than a few minutes without a headache and nausea. When I try to read something across the room, I see double. I was not having this issue before. I told the lady when I put them on that they made things blurry, but she just said that it takes times for my eyes to adjust. I don’t doubt that this is true, but something feels very wrong. Maybe they messed up the prescription?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like a messed-up prescription to me. Also, I'm wondering about the mix-up between your left and right eye that you thought you found in the prescription (I'm not doubting you; I just don't know enough to verify your understanding). With 2 eyes as different as yours, mixing up the prescribed lenses could well cause the symptoms you report.

You've been mentally compensating for a very long time, so she's right that you may require time to adjust, but it shouldn't be so painful that you can't bear to wear the glasses. I'd give it one more day, at most, before insisting on a free appointment to find out what's wrong. The onus is on them to make your glasses right for you.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you call them back? This time you need to go into more detail - double vision, causing headaches and nausea, making your vision much worse than without the glasses. Just saying that your vision is more blurred gives them an excuse to think you're just talking about difficulty adjusting. Also, you need to mention that you think they may have gotten your eyes mixed up on the prescription, and tell them why you think that.

Margret