Am I At Risk Of Rabies?

Thedarkghost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys im new here so basically i have been bitten by a stray kitten 4-6 months ago maybe longer so basically i had been feeding this stray cat for a time and one day she came with 5 kittens they were so cute so i was feeding one of them and she accidentally bit me while eating from my hand it wasnt a deep wound it just bleed very little and it healed two days later without antibiotics and thankfully there were no infections or anything and i travelled away the next day so i havent seen the mom or the kittens for 6 months because i havent been there but they were all normal i have been feeding the mom for quite awhile she trusts me and the kitten were all playful and hungry i fed them and she didnt mean to bite me it just accidentally happened and i know i should have asked this question when she bit me but I acctually didnt think of rabies at that time so i hope someone can answer me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, you need to keep watch on the animal for 10 days; if they have rabies they'll die within that time frame. But since you went away, you don't know if she was still alive in 10 days. I'm sure the risk is very low but you should talk to your doctor about it.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T Thedarkghost - Sixty days is considered the average elapsed time for the incubation of the virus in Humans; the longest known incubation period on record is eight years from bite to the onset of neurological symptoms. Are you at risk? Yes. Is the risk at this point any greater than that of being killed by a Frisbee thrown by an alien? No.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to Alley Cats International, there has not been a case of a cat transmitting rabies to a human in 40 years. You would only get rabies if the cat had rabies and the bite was deep enough to puncture under the skin, or if the saliva somehow got into an open wound in your body. And you would likely have died already. So I think you're safe :)

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys im new here so basically i have been bitten by a stray kitten 4-6 months ago maybe longer so basically i had been feeding this stray cat for a time and one day she came with 5 kittens they were so cute so i was feeding one of them and she accidentally bit me while eating from my hand it wasnt a deep wound it just bleed very little and it healed two days later without antibiotics and thankfully there were no infections or anything and i travelled away the next day so i havent seen the mom or the kittens for 6 months because i havent been there but they were all normal i have been feeding the mom for quite awhile she trusts me and the kitten were all playful and hungry i fed them and she didnt mean to bite me it just accidentally happened and i know i should have asked this question when she bit me but I acctually didnt think of rabies at that time so i hope someone can answer me.
It depends on the type of area you live in... If it's a countryside with a lot of dogs, foxes, coyotes, then maybe. But if you live in a city type of area then maybe not. Some countries are also rabies-free or they tend to have much lower rates. In either way, like what others have said, keep a lookout for the kitten that bit you as if it really had rabies it would not survive for very long. Speak to your doctor about it if it continues to concern you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thedarkghost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It depends on the type of area you live in... If it's a countryside with a lot of dogs, foxes, coyotes, then maybe. But if you live in a city type of area then maybe not. Some countries are also rabies-free or they tend to have much lower rates. In either way, like what others have said, keep a lookout for the kitten that bit you as if it really had rabies it would not survive for very long. Speak to your doctor about it if it continues to concern you.
Well i do live in country that has rabies because we have stray dogs but we dont have racoons nor coyotes or foxes and 99% of the rabies cases in my country is because of stray dogs there was never a case reported because of a cat let alone a kitten and i think the reason is because a cat wouldnt survive a rabid dog attack and im sure a kitten wont neither so the only way it would have gotten rabies is from her mother but her mother is ok and actually im still feeding her mother now the other animal that would transmit rabies to cat is a bat and its rarely that a bat attacks a cat in the ground almost never happened and also one other thing i just figured out which is that since the mother and the kittens were intrested in food that means that they werent showing any signs of rabies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thedarkghost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok guys so i found a cat that resembles one of the kittens but im not sure if its the one that bit me because its been six months they are grown up cats now i hope this lowers the risk even more And i also found out that my country has endemic rabies in canines only

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are probably fine!

These cats need your help, though. Are you able to get them spayed and neutered? Are there rescues in your area that could help?