Am I an Albino?

Whiskeyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Am Yoongi. I was almost furless when am born. And my fur is white now. But why i always feel eyes irritated when playing oustide through the sunlight.
IMG_20210325_133927_125.jpg

20210325_130518.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd describe your kitten as dominant white, and it may end up having green eyes as it ages, rather than blue. Squinting in bright light is common in kittens, especially for those with light fur and eye colours. Have you tested for deafness yet? It's common in solid white cats.

True albinism is extremely rare in cats. Below is an example of a true albino kitty from messybeast -- note the very red tint to the blue her eyes have, and the red glare her pupil has, which non-albino cats with blue eyes should not. Also, notice how pale the pink is on the inside of her ears and even the tip of her nose.

1616676439200.png

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there might be a little orange on the kitten's nose. If that's true, he could turn out to be a flame point (like my boy in the picture). They're pointed in the same sense as siamese; they start out white when they're born and then develop color on the face, tail, and maybe on the feet. It's technically a form of partial albinism, with white "masking" the true color (orange) on the warmer parts of the body.

If he does turn out to be pointed, he'll likely avoid the conditions that affect pure white cats and true albinos. All white cats are often deaf and prone to other conditions, but since pointed cats are not all white as they age, they usually aren't affected by those conditions :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, in the pictures this kitten does look like it may be red point in color (also known as flame point).

Does he also have some color on the backs of his ears and his tail?

(Pointed cats also have color on the paws, but it's not as easy to see on a red point, because of the tabby pattern.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whiskeyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there might be a little orange on the kitten's nose. If that's true, he could turn out to be a flame point (like my boy in the picture). They're pointed in the same sense as siamese; they start out white when they're born and then develop color on the face, tail, and maybe on the feet. It's technically a form of partial albinism, with white "masking" the true color (orange) on the warmer parts of the body.

If he does turn out to be pointed, he'll likely avoid the conditions that affect pure white cats and true albinos. All white cats are often deaf and prone to other conditions, but since pointed cats are not all white as they age, they usually aren't affected by those conditions :)
He was born almost furless. And start to have white fur for 2 weeks. His ears almost yellow. But it stop not more orange. I have 2 siamese cat that they going to more black on their point as long as they grow. And our other 8 kittens and 8 adult are just fine when hit by sunlight. Just this one have irritated.

Whiskeyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd describe your kitten as dominant white, and it may end up having green eyes as it ages, rather than blue. Squinting in bright light is common in kittens, especially for those with light fur and eye colours. Have you tested for deafness yet? It's common in solid white cats.

True albinism is extremely rare in cats. Below is an example of a true albino kitty from messybeast -- note the very red tint to the blue her eyes have, and the red glare her pupil has, which non-albino cats with blue eyes should not. Also, notice how pale the pink is on the inside of her ears and even the tip of her nose.

View attachment 374664
20210325_223049.jpg

All blue eyes wil be red glare. but no visible red blood vessels in a normal blue-eyed cat

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this appears to be a red point (flame point) kitten. I can see the color on both the nose and the ears. These areas will continue to darken up as he matures.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitty might be leucistic but not albino.

Albinism is a different thing than leucism or just having white coloration.
If kitty was albino, she would have pink eyes. Your kitty has blue-green eyes.

Right now, kitty isn't old enough to know exactly what color she will be when she grows up.
She might be leucistic. She might be just 'plain white.'

About deafness in white cats...
Not all white cats go deaf. That's just a legend.

What happens is that melanin (pigment) that makes cats' fur dark also has function in the inner ear. Without melanin the nerve cells that help the ear sense sounds don't work as well. If a white cat has blue eyes, it has less melanin and MIGHT have trouble hearing as it grows up. If a cat is odd-eyed (one blue eye and one darker color eye) then it MIGHT have trouble hearing on the same side as the blue eye. That's because there are fewer melanin producing cells in the ear that's on the side of the blue eye.

Most white cats don't have trouble with hearing. About half of all blue eyed or odd-eyed don't have trouble, either.
If a white cat with colored eyes is born with good hearing (no birth defects) it will probably grow up normally and won't have hearing trouble.
If a white cat with either one or both blue eyes is born with good hearing their is a good chance that it will grow up normally and won't have hearing trouble.

If a white cat of any type makes it through its first year or two of life, chances are that there will not be any hearing problems at all.

I would say that it might be wise to check your kitty's hearing, just to be safe but, after she grows up to be an adult cat and she doesn't have any problems with hearing, she has a greater than 80% chance of making it through life with no hearing problems.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say that it might be wise to check your kitty's hearing, just to be safe but, after she grows up to be an adult cat and she doesn't have any problems with hearing, she has a greater than 80% chance of making it through life with no hearing problems.
This is all great information for white cats! This kitty doesn't appear to be white in color, though, so it shouldn't be at any higher risk of a hearing problem than any other cat.

Whiskeyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[/URL]

Right now, kitty isn't old enough to know exactly what color she will be when she grows up.

What happens is that melanin (pigment) that makes cats' fur dark also has function in the inner ear. Without melanin the nerve cells that help the ear sense sounds don't work as well. If a white cat has blue eyes, it has less melanin and MIGHT have trouble hearing as it grows up. If a cat is odd-eyed (one blue eye and one darker color eye) then it MIGHT have trouble hearing on the same side as the blue eye. That's because there are fewer melanin producing cells in the ear that's on the side of the blue eye.

Most white cats don't have trouble with hearing. About half of all blue eyed or odd-eyed don't have trouble, either.
If a white cat with colored eyes is born with good hearing (no birth defects) it will probably grow up normally and won't have hearing trouble.
If a white cat with either one or both blue eyes is born with good hearing their is a good chance that it will grow up normally and won't have hearing trouble.

If a white cat of any type makes it through its first year or two of life, chances are that there will not be any hearing problems at all.

What would will be. Just healthy always. Thanks friends 😁

Whiskeyboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[/URL]

As long i see his eyes. And i can see his vessel above the light. Maybe i will waiting for him next month. And see what happen with his eyes will.be.