Am I a partial albino?

PaulaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat Smudge, who is black with ginger speckles had just one kitten in April. He was born pure white. I was worried he would be deaf as his eyes have stayed blue, although now a much lighter blue. Thankfully he is definitely not deaf as he can hear a treat packet from a mile away! As he's grown, he's developed a light brown tabby patterned tail, a light brown nose and tips of his ears. I've done some googling and found this site. I saw on a thread here someone had talked about partial albinism and a cat being pointed. I'd like to know everyone's opinion if they're willing to share. Thanks.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PaulaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a flame point. Beautiful!
Thank you. I was thinking maybe that. I don't think he realises how beautiful he is. He's called Marshmallow. Toasted Marshmallow now 😂

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pointed cats are kind of a modified albino. But that's not usually how we refer to them. For him, flame point or red point would be the usual description.

The daddy cat was probably pointed, but not necessarily. If both parents carry the gene they can pass it on without either parent being pointed themselves. It would have been easier to guess if he had siblings but with just him it's hard to say. Are there any Siamese-type tomcats that roam your neighborhood?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pointed cats are kind of a modified albino. But that's not usually how we refer to them. For him, flame point or red point would be the usual description.

The daddy cat was probably pointed, but not necessarily. If both parents carry the gene they can pass it on without either parent being pointed themselves. It would have been easier to guess if he had siblings but with just him it's hard to say. Are there any Siamese-type tomcats that roam your neighborhood?
ONE siamese parent isnt not enough.
BOTH parents must carry the siamese gene... Of course, with one of the parents [being siamese / point], here daddy, the probablility of kittens born points becomes much higher.

So, noble sir Siamese and a moggie without the point gene will still give non pointed moggies. Although half of them will be carriers.
Its just if our moggie does carry the point gene, as half of the childs will gets pointed them too. The others will be non pointed carriers.

If both parents are moggies but carriers of the point gene, a typical result may be:

1 kitten a point "siamese-mix", 3 kittens typical moggies; where 2 will be carriers and 1 a total non carrier of the point gene.

Last edited:

PaulaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Not that I've seen. I wo dered if his dad was Siamese but his face isn't very Siamese like.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that I've seen. I wo dered if his dad was Siamese but his face isn't very Siamese like.
Not like the current extreme show Siamese, although he could pass for an old-type Siamese. But, also, the Siamese heritage doesn't have to be recent; the pointed gene can pass down through many many generations of random breeding.

Crossed eyes are related to the partial albinism, that also doesn't mean recent purebred heritage. But, yeah, those big ears and wedge-shaped face, I wouldn't be too surprised if the Siamese heritage is fairly recent.

PaulaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah he is a bit cross eyed! I'll have to keep a lookout for the dad!

PaulaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone who has responded. You've all been a great help! 😁

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww he is beautiful, love that pic of him when he was full white. He is as people said a dsh flame point / color point with siamese heritage. And yes a partial albino that is what causes the points with the lighter body and the blue appearance of the eyes. The points come from siamese cats who have been bred with numerous other breeds over time. Officially traditional siamese point colors only include seal, blue, chocolate and lilac. The others are called color points by some cat groups. The C gene is what affects albinism and partial albinism along with other factors.

4. The tyrosinase gene (C/c/c1) codes for the tyrosinase enzyme. The dominant allele C codes for a fully functioning protein and all the carriers will show full coat pigmentation. The recessive alleles (c and c1) code for a mutated tyrosinase and result in one of the two forms of albinism: complete and temperature sensitive (more about this in the "White cats" section).

Cat Coat Genetics

Albino Cats Are Not Just White Cats! Here's How To Tell Them Apart - CatTime

Get to the Point: Identifying Albinism Mutations in Cats - TUFTSBG2003 - VIN

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat Smudge, who is black with ginger speckles had just one kitten in April. He was born pure white. I was worried he would be deaf as his eyes have stayed blue, although now a much lighter blue. Thankfully he is definitely not deaf as he can hear a treat packet from a mile away! As he's grown, he's developed a light brown tabby patterned tail, a light brown nose and tips of his ears. I've done some googling and found this site. I saw on a thread here someone had talked about partial albinism and a cat being pointed. I'd like to know everyone's opinion if they're willing to share. Thanks.
He is a siamese flame/red point