Am I a horrible cat mom?

lizbell20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Bella two months ago, and quickly after that I took her to the vet for a check up. She came with an ear infection that wasn't visible by any means.
It's been two months and it's getting progressively worse even though my vet prescribed daily topical medicine.
Additionally, she's been biting and scratching her fur out on her neck. She has bald patches on her neck, and now her ear has multiple abrasions and scabs from all the scratching. I've only had her for two months and I feel absolutely horrible and terrified that I'm doing a bad job. I've taken her to the vet each time, but it's not getting any better.
She's never once hissed or scratched. I've never seen her aggressive at all, not even after vet visits and giving her medicine (which she hates). She's so mellow and calm.
My intention has always been to keep her and take care of her forever but now I'm worried that I've made her health so much worse. She didn't used to look like this, half bald and full of cuts.
I try to keep her entertained during the day with toys and cat videos on my iPad, but every morning when I wake up she has new scratches. I don't know what to do.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

You are absolutely not a bad cat mom, I promise!
Do you have a different vet you could talk to? Is this a reaction to an itchy ear from the infection, or an additional reaction to something in her environment or a sensitivity/allergy to something in her food?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO. You are not horrible at all, it hasn't been figured out yet. After two months with no improvement, take her to another vet. She may have allergies or needs an oral antibiotic. She may be allergic to the medicine! I know flea meds can do this too, has she had any? My cat was allergic and lost half his fur. Do not give baths either. She may be allergic to her food, have you tried changing that to one for allergies? You might try that first. She isn't getting any cows milk is she, that is something cats are allergic to too, as they get out of kittenhood.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I adopted Bella two months ago, and quickly after that I took her to the vet for a check up. She came with an ear infection that wasn't visible by any means.
It's been two months and it's getting progressively worse even though my vet prescribed daily topical medicine.
Additionally, she's been biting and scratching her fur out on her neck. She has bald patches on her neck, and now her ear has multiple abrasions and scabs from all the scratching. I've only had her for two months and I feel absolutely horrible and terrified that I'm doing a bad job. I've taken her to the vet each time, but it's not getting any better.
You can try using this product called Colloidal Silver for pets. It's pretty good for for wounds and ear cleaning and such. I'm a fan of this product. I use this for my boy. Go check it out.

Last edited:

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
She's never once hissed or scratched. I've never seen her aggressive at all, not even after vet visits and giving her medicine (which she hates). She's so mellow and calm.
My intention has always been to keep her and take care of her forever but now I'm worried that I've made her health so much worse. She didn't used to look like this, half bald and full of cuts.
I try to keep her entertained during the day with toys and cat videos on my iPad, but every morning when I wake up she has new scratches. I don't know what to do.
You are absolutely not a horrible cat mom. You care and are taking her to the vet, so it shows how much you love her.
I agree, take her to another vet, or tell the one you're going to that the treatment isn't working and you need to try something else.
Don't give up! We're here for you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many good wound products on Amazon, and at farm supply stores like Tractor Supply. I like that silver product too, just make sure anything you use is for cats.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is she eating? It could be an allergy to something in her environment. But it can also be a food allergy. If you can reduce her universe of food ingredients down to a single wet food, that would help you greatly in trying to figure this out. It would be even better to pick single protein foods (like only chicken or only turkey.) Many cats are allergic to fish ingredients. Switching her food away from fish ingredients is a good place to start.