Am I a bad cat owner for leaving my cats out all night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsinmypajamaz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a tiny apartment with 4 boys. Needless to say, my cats would destroy the house if they were trapped inside (I've had them indoors several times on harsh winter days and it was not a pretty sight), so I allow them to roam the neighborhood all night and day. They enjoy the outdoors, catching birds and squirrels, hunting bugs, and meeting new kitty friends.

I feel kind of guilty, though leaving them outside all night. What if they were hit by a car? I've considered taking them in at night but that's when they're the most crazy!

My girl kitty is pregnant and I don't know if it's safe for her to be outdoors all of the time. She could catch illnesses from other cats, right? If she was injured it could hurt the babies.

I'm just so torn, between the sanity of my home and the safety of my cats. Advice?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but there are differences in cultural thinking on what's OK for cats. I think most of us on TCS keep our cats indoors-only for so many reasons. Some people have enclosed their yards or built enclosures (either attached to the house so the cats can come and go at their leisure or not attached, and they can be taken to the enclosure, or they live in the enclosure) so their cats can safely be outside.

I care for feral cats (trap them, have them spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and then release them where they were trapped), so I can kind of understand why you'd have pet cats that you don't see very often. But my pets live inside full time. My husband and I live in an RV with 8 cats. It works because we give them properly structured (vertical) space and stimulation. Bird feeders out the windows, access to look out all the windows, a lot of vertical space, and we play with them interactively.

If you live in a rural area, it's very dangerous for them outside: lots of predators, other cats, diseases from ticks and fleas. If you don't keep them vaccinated, potential rabies; if they fight with other animals, infection from bite wounds; if they interact with other cats, potential diseases...

If you live in an urban/suburban area, it's dangerous because of cars and other people in addition to all of the above other dangers.

There are a lot of reasons to keep your cats indoors or keep them contained in your yard or an enclosure.

All of that said... if you are going to let them roam, it is very much your responsibility to have them spayed and neutered. It's very sad that your kitty is pregnant at all.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsinmypajamaz

I live in a tiny apartment with 4 boys. Needless to say, my cats would destroy the house if they were trapped inside (I've had them indoors several times on harsh winter days and it was not a pretty sight), so I allow them to roam the neighborhood all night and day. They enjoy the outdoors, catching birds and squirrels, hunting bugs, and meeting new kitty friends.

I feel kind of guilty, though leaving them outside all night. What if they were hit by a car? I've considered taking them in at night but that's when they're the most crazy!

My girl kitty is pregnant and I don't know if it's safe for her to be outdoors all of the time. She could catch illnesses from other cats, right? If she was injured it could hurt the babies.

I'm just so torn, between the sanity of my home and the safety of my cats. Advice?
Now let me say this first I am very different then most people on this site. First is that I do not feel cats are babies but a great animal in there own right. I also feel that DOMESTIC cats should be allowed outside if you live in an area where it is safe and legal. I feel that for a cat that WANTS to go out and CAN (physically able and legally can) the cat has the "right" to.

Animals do not worry about how they live or how long they live. That is something only people can do. So I feel we (most people) give animals feelings they do not have.

My two first two domestics Momma cat ( a 14 to 17 year old DSH) goes in and out whenever she pleases. In the summer she spends her night on my deck or in the woods by my house ON HER OWN ACCORD! My second domestic short hair is a six year old DSH and does they same thing. They both come in when it is wet or too hot to be in the A/C

My third domestic cat is Panda and she is a DLH or DMH. She was found outside at about four months old and then given to a veterinarian. Then was was given to me by that kind veterinarian
. I have had her for a year and four months. Once she was used to my home and cats I thought she would want to go outside. But that was not the case. So despite many trips to my deck she would just run back inside. So she is a completely indoor cat by her own choosing.

So in closing I feel if a domestic cat wants to go outside and it is fairly safe and legal to do so then it is fine. But if the cat does not want to go outside then that is fine too

Please just make sure your cats are spayed and neutered before going outside. This is to avoid fights, reproduction, and roaming. Also make sure they have vacines for the appropriate feline diseases on a yearly basis as well. If they have outside "privileges".

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsinmypajamaz

I allow them to roam the neighborhood all night and day. They enjoy the outdoors, catching birds and squirrels, hunting bugs, and meeting new kitty friends.
(I added the bold type for emphasis)

As previous posters have said, I don't know anything about the area where you live, but there are a LOT of people out there who don't like cats and who wouldn't appreciate having a neighbor cat prowling and hunting on their property, not to mention using their flower beds as litterboxes. Besides dangers like cars, bigger animals and disease, you may be opening your cats up to the danger of humans who don't want them around. IMO, it's your responsibility as a pet owner to make sure your pets don't roam where they aren't wanted.

My cat is strictly indoors, and personally, I will never have a cat that I allow outside. I know there are people who disagree and I understand why they let their cats out, I could just never do it myself. If you choose to let your cats out it is your responsibility to have them spayed/neutered, and to ensure that they are not infringing on the rights of your neighbors.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Outdoor kitties also become vectors for your own exposure to ticks/fleas/zoonotic diseases, beyond the personal risks to the cat from poisonous plants and chemical spills, insecticides, cars, dogs, aggressive feral toms, disease, mean humans/children, and more. It is also more difficult to monitor the health of a cat that may be throwing up or having loose stools in random places outdoors.

Hunting is also instinctual and not based on hunger (hence why the da bird is still so super fun even after a meal), and in fact farmers know that the best mousers are not hungry but rather well fed and energetic cats. Thus outdoor cats often kill for sport, even if they don't bring home the trophy, creating stresses on native wildlife via competition and predation (sometimes killing new hatchlings of endangered song birds) and has gotten to the point of ecological pest status in places like Australia. So it is more environmentally friendly to keep pet predators like ours indoors IMO.

From a practical standpoint, I also don't believe its any more fair to your neighbors to have your cat jumping on their cars, going through their property, or pooping on their plants anymore than it is for their small dog to be allowed to do the same on yours, and support leash laws for all domesticated animals from cat to miniature potbellies.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't live in an area that would be safe for Turtle to be out and about. For that matter I've only had one cat that I allowed outside and she was lease trained so I was with her. I personally don't think it's necessary for a cat to experience the outside world to be happy and content. Turtle gets plenty of attention and stimulation in a safe environment inside with me.
Your situation is so much different than mine. I would just have to echo what the other posters have shared with you. It sounds like your hands are full and i wish you luck and you'll be in my thoughts.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

(I added the bold type for emphasis)

As previous posters have said, I don't know anything about the area where you live, but there are a LOT of people out there who don't like cats and who wouldn't appreciate having a neighbor cat prowling and hunting on their property, not to mention using their flower beds as litterboxes. Besides dangers like cars, bigger animals and disease, you may be opening your cats up to the danger of humans who don't want them around. IMO, it's your responsibility as a pet owner to make sure your pets don't roam where they aren't wanted.

My cat is strictly indoors, and personally, I will never have a cat that I allow outside. I know there are people who disagree and I understand why they let their cats out, I could just never do it myself. If you choose to let your cats out it is your responsibility to have them spayed/neutered, and to ensure that they are not infringing on the rights of your neighbors.
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Outdoor kitties also become vectors for your own exposure to ticks/fleas/zoonotic diseases, beyond the personal risks to the cat from poisonous plants and chemical spills, insecticides, cars, dogs, aggressive feral toms, disease, mean humans/children, and more. It is also more difficult to monitor the health of a cat that may be throwing up or having loose stools in random places outdoors.

Hunting is also instinctual and not based on hunger (hence why the da bird is still so super fun even after a meal), and in fact farmers know that the best mousers are not hungry but rather well fed and energetic cats. Thus outdoor cats often kill for sport, even if they don't bring home the trophy, creating stresses on native wildlife via competition and predation (sometimes killing new hatchlings of endangered song birds) and has gotten to the point of ecological pest status in places like Australia. So it is more environmentally friendly to keep pet predators like ours indoors IMO.

From a practical standpoint, I also don't believe its any more fair to your neighbors to have your cat jumping on their cars, going through their property, or pooping on their plants anymore than it is for their small dog to be allowed to do the same on yours, and support leash laws for all domesticated animals from cat to miniature potbellies.
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

I don't live in an area that would be safe for Turtle to be out and about. For that matter I've only had one cat that I allowed outside and she was lease trained so I was with her. I personally don't think it's necessary for a cat to experience the outside world to be happy and content. Turtle gets plenty of attention and stimulation in a safe environment inside with me.
Your situation is so much different than mine. I would just have to echo what the other posters have shared with you. It sounds like your hands are full and i wish you luck and you'll be in my thoughts.
I am very glad that my neighbors do not mind my cats. In fact if I did not have such supportive neighbors I might have had to keep them inside perhaps. But I help them with getting them certain items they need for there dogs at cost.

I will say that I have never had problems with raccoons and my domestics they even share the woods in my presence. But humans and cars could be a possible danger. My domestic cats seldom cross the busy road across from my home. I am so grateful for that and maybe they have an
watching over them.

As far as disease and injuries go I have never had a problem with that. Part of that is due to being a vet tech and making sure they have proper vaccines. The other part is female cats are sometimes better about not getting in fights then males. But my six year old DSH will attach stray cats and spray outside just like a tomcat! But so far knock on wood she has not been injured.

Also if you adopt a eight or so week old kitten and then want it to be an indoor cat I feel that is fine. Since at that age the kitten either "never misses what it never knew" or is behaviorally pliable enough to "learn" to live indoors. I have never gotten such a young kitten to make them want to live indoors.

In closing my indoor/outdoor domestics can come in any time and spend bad weather indoors. As far as my other domestic cat I see NOTHING WRONG with her wanting to live indoors. I am just glad she made the "choice".

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, our cats were indoor/outdoor. We left them outside all the time. I preferred for them to be in with me at night, because they cuddled with me when they were, but they also were avid "hunters" and would be out prowling the yard and woods behind us at night. I don't see anything wrong with it if that is your choice of what you allow your cats to do

All of mine are currently indoor only. My husband's childhood cat was indoor/outdoor, as were all of mine, so we intended to do that with our adopted kittens after his cat passed away in 2007. When one of the kitties was hit by a car at 11 months old, we decided that any other cats would be indoor only - thus my current 3 stay inside unless on a leash/harness, and sometimes Hoshi is allowed near the front porch supervised, even though we live on a street with only 5 other houses and a bunch of woods now. The sibling cat to that one lives with my inlaws and she is still indoor/outdoor though (she lives where we used to live, but stays away from the road, as they live a few hundred feet off of it). It's all personal preference IMO.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

It's all personal preference IMO.
That is exactly what I was trying to say!!!!!!!!! Very very well said
!!!

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My feelings on this are mixed. All my cats that live at my parents' house are either outdoor only or indoor/outdoor. We are in a rural area and have a large property and they do not roam to neighbors' houses due to fences - though they do go across the street into the other woods. Why, when we have perfectly lovely woods surrounding our house, I couldn't tell you, but that's a cat for ya. They are all spayed/neutered and they live happy lives hunting and roaming our sheds and woods and fields.

However... one was killed when he was hit by a car, and I was devastated. The others have gotten into fights with various woodland creatures and come home with scratches, bites, and other wounds. There have been fractured and broken bones. My elderly grandparents live with us about 2/3 of the year and they have shut some of the cats in the gardening shed several times - luckily, there are windows installed so my dad is able to see & rescue them as he walks by. Bobo is a found cat who is known to disappear for days at a time - which was very hard on me emotionally when I lived at home. The risks are there and they are real, even if it hasn't happened to any of your kitties yet.

I keep my kittens indoors and will keep all my future cats indoors with the possible exception of a cat enclosure if I ever get some property again. But my parents could never abide cats indoors - the only one they let in any length of time is my senior cat Pumpkin who's about 12, and even then only usually during the cold winter nights. For their living situation, they and the cats are both happier with the cats outdoors. I would also imagine it would be very difficult to bring a cat who loves being outdoors indoors full-time - I could never imagine Bobo living indoors for example.

The best compromise if you're not willing to keep your 4 current kitties indoor full-time is, IMO, to keep your current cats indoor/outdoor as you desire but to keep all future cats & kittens indoors-only. Then you will eventually have a brood who is used to being indoors and they won't be driving you insane & door dashing.

I hope these posts help! Have you posted pics of your babies yet? If not...... wink wink nudge nudge!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no real feelings on indoor vs outdoor but I do feel strongly that they all need to be spayed/neutered. There are far too many unwanted kitties in the world and it's not fair to bring more kittens into that situation. Plus the fact that unneutered males fight more and so are more likely to contract diseases. And the female is at risk of being killed by tomcats at mating time, and at risk of dying from birth complications. Do keep her in when her birthing time is close, or she might go off somewhere secluded to have her babies and you won't know if she needs vet care while birthing.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I have no real feelings on indoor vs outdoor but I do feel strongly that they all need to be spayed/neutered. There are far too many unwanted kitties in the world and it's not fair to bring more kittens into that situation. Plus the fact that unneutered males fight more and so are more likely to contract diseases. And the female is at risk of being killed by tomcats at mating time, and at risk of dying from birth complications. Do keep her in when her birthing time is close, or she might go off somewhere secluded to have her babies and you won't know if she needs vet care while birthing.
And you might not be able to monitor the kitties, socialize them, and thus rehome them.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm half-asleep, so please forgive me if this has already been mentioned and I missed it -- but please consider the fact that, once your cats are spayed and neutered, their drive to wander outside will gradually diminish. It really isn't hard to teach them to enjoy indoor living, especially if you provide plenty of playtime.

And let me add that, personal preference and local custom and everything else aside, the fact remains that if you want your cats to live long and healthy lives, keeping them indoors will make that much, much more likely.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well said, and another thing often forgotten is that cats are not two dimensional creatures. A small place can turn into a huge place in their minds by adding elevations.

That way, just like a skyscraper, you can have story after story to create a huge living area in a small footprint.

Floor to Ceiling cat trees are particularly space effective, and most kitties love climbing and perching high up, and its much safer than going outside and climbing real trees that prove easier to get up than back down from!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I have no real feelings on indoor vs outdoor but I do feel strongly that they all need to be spayed/neutered. There are far too many unwanted kitties in the world and it's not fair to bring more kittens into that situation. And the female is at risk of being killed by tomcats at mating time,
I am very surprised your not "pro indoor cat". It is great we might actually agree on something, maybe if I am understanding you right
!

How many domestic toms do you know of that have killed the domestic female at matting time? I am not trying to start trouble, I genuinely curious as I have never considered that "common" issue/concern. So care to enlighten me
?

Originally Posted by LDG

And you might not be able to monitor the kitties, socialize them, and thus rehome them.
That is a very very very good point
!

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think you are, but I couldn't do it myself- I know what can happen to outdoor kitties. I grew up on a horse farm and we had lots of barn cats. As long as you are willing to accept the risks and consequences I think you should do as you like; however I also think it's important to take steps to keep them as safe as you can...

1. Spay/neuter
2. Vaccinate
3. Frontline or other preventative of your choice (NOT HARTZ THOUGH!)
4. Collars and/or microchips

Remember, it's your responsibility too if your cat injures someone else's in a fight. That can sometimes cause issues, so please make sure you have records of their shots!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by orangeishcat

I don't think you are, but I couldn't do it myself- I know what can happen to outdoor kitties. I grew up on a horse farm and we had lots of barn cats. As long as you are willing to accept the risks and consequences I think you should do as you like; however I also think it's important to take steps to keep them as safe as you can...

1. Spay/neuter
2. Vaccinate
3. Frontline or other preventative of your choice (NOT HARTZ THOUGH!)
4. Collars and/or microchips

Remember, it's your responsibility too if your cat injures someone else's in a fight. That can sometimes cause issues, so please make sure you have records of their shots!
That is one of the best things I have ever read on this forum! Maybe you should copy right it
. Or I might take it from you
. Again very well thought out reply

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two cents...... My preference is indoor only. It is a personal choice and no one should judge you if you let your cats live outdoors. Be prepared for the consequences and dangers of your cats living outdoors.

BUT I DO have a problem with people letting their cats outdoors to roam who are not spayed or neutered. You say your female is pregnant. So I am also assuming your other four cats are not altered either. Please get all of your cats fixed ASAP. You are adding to the cat overpopulation problem by letting your unaltered cats roam freely. So in answer to your question: Am I a bad owner letting my cats out all night long? Yes, because those cats are not fixed. Once they are fixed, then I change my answer to no.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

I am very surprised your not "pro indoor cat". It is great we might actually agree on something, maybe if I am understanding you right
!
It really is the aspect of cat keeping I have the least amount of opinion about
, provided the cats are spayed/neutered and well cared for. Some cats do better being allowed outside, and it's better than being put down because they don't behave well indoors. Of course it also depends on the area. . .if you live right by a highway I'm not going to say that it's a good idea to let your cats out.

And I don't like the idea of outdoor-only cats, unless that's what the cat chooses. I think it's sad if the kitties can't come inside when they want to

I do keep my cats inside (except the ferals) because I think the neighbors would complain if I set 20 cats loose on the neighborhood

How many domestic toms do you know of that have killed the domestic female at matting time? I am not trying to start trouble, I genuinely curious as I have never considered that "common" issue/concern. So care to enlighten me
?
I don't have a lot of experience with unaltered cats. But I did observe the cats on my uncle's farm. The females would frequently get chewed up by the toms, and sometimes they died from it. I'm sure a pet who received proper vet care would be much less likely to die from her wounds, but cat mating is not gentle at all and it is a risk. Also, if you observe feral cat populations, you'll notice that females over a year or two old are pretty rare (unless they're spayed, in a well-managed colony). This is because they usually die during mating or birthing.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I think of it this way.. Would you let your young children roam the streets alone at night?

It's probably a bad analogy to some of you, but I'd be worried sick if I let my kitties out! Who knows what can happen to them.. they could get hit by the train or cars, picked up by some strangers or get sick!

Is it selfish of me to keep them indoors only? I don't think so at all. They seem perfectly content being indoors and make no attempt to run out. I've tried to let Monet experience the outdoors on a leash, but he wanted nothing to do with it after a few times.

Am I a bad person for wanting to ensure their health and safety by keeping them indoors all the time? I do not think so!

Status
Not open for further replies.