Alternatives to the Smart Cat Peek and Play Toy Box?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looking for some recommendations/alternatives to the SmartCat/Pioneer Pet Peek and Play Toy Box, trying to get my boy into foraging behavior and he's getting better at the easier puzzles, I like this because it is wood and sturdy so if anyone has any suggestions for ones that are on the market that would be great. I am NOT a DIY person, it's just not in my nature and I'm trapped due to snowstorms so anything I can get ready-made online is appreciated!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m personally very fond of the Trixie food puzzles, especially their 5 in 1 activity (which is simpler, imo), and their foraging board. Depending on the complexity and how quickly your kitty learns, you’ll either want to get the 5 in 1 first, and upgrade to their foraging board, or go immediately for the latter. Personally I use these mainly for treats, as enrichment (and as distraction on days where Jum really needs stimulation and I really need to work), but they’re great to throw a small toy into, especially if your cat is extremely fond of it. For something super simple that encourages foraging activity, the Trixie tunnel feeder is great, if very easy for a cat that already knows what they're doing with their paws :>

Trixie also produce some smaller boards that require fine manipulation, like their four compartment poker box, but with these I find that either the cat figures it out really quickly, and it poses little long term challenge, or they give up out of frustration after a while, though ymmv, especially depending on how dexterous your cats paws are. Mine will casually scoop up treats by holding them between her big pad and toes instead of condescending herself to eating off the floor, so once she figures out a drawer or lever puzzle once, she has no issue getting them open again.

Catit Senses has a line of puzzle feeders, as well, but ime they’re more suited to kittens (though I do have a very large cat). They also tend to be pretty simple, and easy to topple over for a larger animal. That said, might be worth looking into for a cat less experienced with puzzles, and less prone to knocking things over.

Kong has a huge line of cat puzzle toys nowadays, in different difficulties. I particularly like their puzzle mat (and Puzzlement series in general). For all that my cat is, at times, concerningly intelligent and food motivated, it took her longer than I expected to completely get the hang of getting treats out of the pockets (or even finding them, at times!).

Cat Amazing Sliders is a great puzzle box, probably one of the best in terms of holding interest in the long term, but IMO, has a steep learning curve. Unless your cat is particularly smart, or not prone to giving up out of frustration, I’d invest in one after your kitty is more experienced in figuring out puzzle toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is so funny you mentioned catit, my 1.5 year old just pounced from a recliner to knock over the food tree so he could eat all the food inside. Little jerk =)