Alternatives To Rad Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darwin's would not give me the % of bone when I ordered. They said it was about the size of a pencil eraser. They also are putting choline chloride which is not a good thing: Choline supplementation improves the lipid metabolism of intrauterine-growth-restricted pigs. - PubMed - NCBI Vegetables as well.
What did you get out of that article you quoted? To state the obvious, cats aren't pigs. But also, I'm not certain the results of that study are a bad thing. My biochemistry degree is very dusty but it sounds like choline supplementation helped improve abnormal lipid metabolism in low birth weight pigs. Where's the bad in that?

I've been giving my Krista egg yolk powder with every meal specifically for lecithin and choline to help emulsify the fat that binds hairballs, and to improve the quality of peristaltic contractions in the stomach and intestines, respectively.

How Best to Manage Hairballs

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What did you get out of that article you quoted? To state the obvious, cats aren't pigs. But also, I'm not certain the results of that study are a bad thing. My biochemistry degree is very dusty but it sounds like choline supplementation helped improve abnormal lipid metabolism in low birth weight pigs. Where's the bad in that?

I've been giving my Krista egg yolk powder with every meal specifically for lecithin and choline to help emulsify the fat that binds hairballs, and to improve the quality of peristaltic contractions in the stomach and intestines, respectively.

How Best to Manage Hairballs
Thanks for the info and the article! However, I don't like a lot of stuff added to her food. Have had her for almost 4 years. I groom her once or twice everyday and have never had a hairball!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info and the article! However, I don't like a lot of stuff added to her food. Have had her for almost 4 years. I groom her once or twice everyday and have never had a hairball!
Aside from the tomato pomace, which appears to be a fiber source akin to pumpkin, I don't see any other veggies. The tomato pomace is probably there because many cats don't like the taste of pumpkin. If it wasn't tomato pomace, it would probably be psyllium. To be honest, except for the bone content which is not to be easily dismissed, I don't see anything wrong with Darwin's. I may order a lamb to try with Krista since that one is boneless. I see nothing wrong with any of the other supplements since even homemade is going to require supplements to be balanced and complete.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are there calculators for mixing different grounds to arrive at the 80/10/10? Although I’ll be relying on the EZ Complete and the eggshell for the “bone” but I don’t know if I feed just the ground boneless thigh or if I have to mix with the ground organs. Yeah. I have some reading to do.
Yes you’ll be mixing the Irgun meats with the thigh.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the local cat shop today and they had radcat. Apparently it was one of those last orders that got through and delivered. They're not allowing people to buy more than 4 tubs/day.

While I was there I noticed a new raw food called Bobcat Raw food. The employee informed me it was someone from Houston, TX making it. So if you're in TX you might want to check the store locator to see if anyone has it. The company also delivers so who knows how much that is. They currently only have chicken flavor but their ingredient list is very pure.

Buy Natural Raw Cat Food | Best Frozen Pet Food Online Houston Texas

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the local cat shop today and they had radcat. Apparently it was one of those last orders that got through and delivered. They're not allowing people to buy more than 4 tubs/day.

While I was there I noticed a new raw food called Bobcat Raw food. The employee informed me it was someone from Houston, TX making it. So if you're in TX you might want to check the store locator to see if anyone has it. The company also delivers so who knows how much that is. They currently only have chicken flavor but their ingredient list is very pure.

Buy Natural Raw Cat Food | Best Frozen Pet Food Online Houston Texas
Interesting that you mention seeing Rad Cat -- I bought a pound of chicken Rad Cat the other day in one store and saw a lot of beef and pork in another. (The cats only eat chicken and turkey.) I may look around a little more since who knows what I might find.

The Bobcat food does sound very good!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting that you mention seeing Rad Cat -- I bought a pound of chicken Rad Cat the other day in one store and saw a lot of beef and pork in another. (The cats only eat chicken and turkey.) I may look around a little more since who knows what I might find.

The Bobcat food does sound very good!
Yeahh they had some 1 pound turkey radcat. Felt like I won the lottery when I saw that, so I bought 3 pounds of it lol.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish the local stores still had Rad Cat. A pound would only last my fur pig two days though. I would fill my freezer again if I could. If Bobcat makes a turkey or rabbit flavor, I’d ask one of the local stores to start carrying it. They are certainly the closest commercial raw I’ve seen to Rad Cat but chicken is no good for Krista.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish the local stores still had Rad Cat. A pound would only last my fur pig two days though. I would fill my freezer again if I could. If Bobcat makes a turkey or rabbit flavor, I’d ask one of the local stores to start carrying it. They are certainly the closest commercial raw I’ve seen to Rad Cat but chicken is no good for Krista.
My cats the same way. He eats me into the poor house I say!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats the same way. He eats me into the poor house I say!
As long as I can find food she’ll eat, I’ll keep shoveling it into her. I broke her with a “treat portion” (just meat plus liver, the remainder of the recipe) that turned out to not be such a treat after all. She won’t touch turkey anymore. I was tempted to bust into one of my last two Rad Cats but it wouldnt last the weekend. Thankfully Krista Test Kitchen approved a new batch of homemade duck and she can eat for a few more days. Today, Krista Test Kitchen will have to approve a new batch of turkey because I can’t get more duck until after the new year.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Recent update from Rad Cat on their go fund me page:

Happy New Year - Update January 18, 2018

Lots of folks have been asking us for an update, and with the start of a new year we are hoping for a brighter future. The process of closing takes a while and we will continue until it is done. As for an update on a possible investment partner to bring Rad Cat back strong as ever…we have had lots of contact from folks interested in investing which is wonderful. We are currently communicating with a potential partner, but due to confidentiality we can’t say any more at this time. This is all very positive and we are excited for the future. We will let all of you know more when we can. We are so grateful for all the donations and words of comfort and support – we have read them all! We will at some point be taking this fundraiser down as things wind up and we are ready to move forward with the next life for Rad Cat. Trust that we will let all of you know through facebook or the website when we are able to say more. Please keep the faith.

:dance::banana1::banana2::jive::jump:

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on their Facebook page from July 1st:

We know that so many of you have wanted an update, but we didn’t have anything definitive to tell. It’s been too painful to keep typing after every start and stop we’ve had over the last eight months. We still don’t have new news to report, unfortunately.

Over the last several months, we have engaged with no fewer than twelve companies, private equity, etc. about partnering to bring the brand back. We spent four months with one that we were monumentally excited about, only to have that fall through in the end. So here we are.

If the foods that are currently on the market aren’t working for your kitties, there are some good recipes that we’ve heard about over the last several months that kitties really like, if you’re interested in making your own. We’ve heard that the options we listed on our website weren’t working well for people, but we’ve received positive reviews for these homemade recipes. Here are the two that kitties seem to really take to and like better than other raw products on the market:

https://feline-nutrition.org/…/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-i…

http://tcfeline.com/original-raw-cat-food-recipe/

These recipes are very similar to each other but I thought I’d list them both here anyway.

Please note that we have not made these ourselves, but the recipes look pretty good to us.

If you’ve tried these recipes above, let us know how your kitties liked them!

Please kiss your kitties for us!

XOXOXO Tracey and Janice

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update on their Facebook page from July 1st:

We know that so many of you have wanted an update, but we didn’t have anything definitive to tell. It’s been too painful to keep typing after every start and stop we’ve had over the last eight months. We still don’t have new news to report, unfortunately.

Over the last several months, we have engaged with no fewer than twelve companies, private equity, etc. about partnering to bring the brand back. We spent four months with one that we were monumentally excited about, only to have that fall through in the end. So here we are.

If the foods that are currently on the market aren’t working for your kitties, there are some good recipes that we’ve heard about over the last several months that kitties really like, if you’re interested in making your own. We’ve heard that the options we listed on our website weren’t working well for people, but we’ve received positive reviews for these homemade recipes. Here are the two that kitties seem to really take to and like better than other raw products on the market:

https://feline-nutrition.org/…/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-i…

http://tcfeline.com/original-raw-cat-food-recipe/

These recipes are very similar to each other but I thought I’d list them both here anyway.

Please note that we have not made these ourselves, but the recipes look pretty good to us.

If you’ve tried these recipes above, let us know how your kitties liked them!

Please kiss your kitties for us!

XOXOXO Tracey and Janice
Thank you for the update! I was just thinking about you guys! I am saddened by your news! I have been feeding my girl Darwin's Raw. They are nice people and easy to work with but I can't say that I am thrilled with their food. It has chunks of bone in it. I asked them about changing this and they said no, that was what their vets recommended. Good luck to you!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I was just thinking about you guys! I am saddened by your news! I have been feeding my girl Darwin's Raw. They are nice people and easy to work with but I can't say that I am thrilled with their food. It has chunks of bone in it. I asked them about changing this and they said no, that was what their vets recommended. Good luck to you!
I got a survey from Darwin's last year asking about interest in a variety without the bone, but I never heard anything after that. Makes me wonder what happened with that idea.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the issue avoiding bone, or avoiding bone chunks? My cats have never had a problem with small bone pieces, but I understand some cats do.

Definitely look at Balanced Blends. They just changed their formula to eliminate all veggies and bone, and it comes in high pressure pasteurized and steamed options. They process in the 8 oz chub packaging, so there is theoretically minimized nutrient loss. I haven't tried the new formula yet, but it looks good.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's interesting that Balanced Blends is going boneless. That is looking like it might be a trend. I'm glad to see it.

Their shipping cost is very reasonable. I'll try to remember to give them a try once it gets cooler. I don't trust 2 day shipping this time of the year. Balanced Blends being relatively close to me is another advantage. I'd love to find a turkey pre-made that my picky will eat. For some reason she just doesn't like the turkey I get locally although she loved Rad Cat turkey.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the issue avoiding bone, or avoiding bone chunks? My cats have never had a problem with small bone pieces, but I understand some cats do.

Definitely look at Balanced Blends. They just changed their formula to eliminate all veggies and bone, and it comes in high pressure pasteurized and steamed options. They process in the 8 oz chub packaging, so there is theoretically minimized nutrient loss. I haven't tried the new formula yet, but it looks good.
Hm, I'll have to take a look at them. Bone isn't an issue for me since none of my Cats had problems with the small pieces when I used to get their food from Darwin's, but I do like that they cut the shipping cost if you're ordering at least 20 LB at a time.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Definitely look at Balanced Blends.
Both. Constipation - or worse, obstipation, is why we had to discontinue raw with bone for one cat. For years he ate commercial raw with bone without any problems but at 8 years old, the food he did so well on became his enemy.

Good info re Balanced Blends, thanks for the info. :)