Alternative To Plastic Litter Box

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use the stainless steel litter box or other non plastic ones, but durable (I don’t mean paper ones)? I need another litter box but I’m trying to reduce plastic use, so looking for alternatives. Plus both my cats are heavy litter box scratchers, so I can only imagine what bacteria potentially sit in these scratches (even though I clean the box regularly). Unfortunately my girl pees high on the wall (or rather in the corner) so stainless steel that I saw on amazon are too low, but maybe someone saw something bigger somewhere else? I’ll also take DIY ideas for high non plastic litter box :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a stainless steel mortar/cement mixing tub? You might be able to get one at Lowes, Home Depot, or similar stores.
Thank you, google search confirms it could work! I’ll see what I can find in closest Home Depot.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know how high of a box you are looking for, but if you saw something that was about 8-9 inches high, please share!! I saw mortar mixing boxes, but all were plastic and none as high as what I am looking for. Feeby is also a wall pee-er in the corner of the box.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know how high of a box you are looking for, but if you saw something that was about 8-9 inches high, please share!! I saw mortar mixing boxes, but all were plastic and none as high as what I am looking for. Feeby is also a wall pee-er in the corner of the box.
I'll check it in store after the weekend. I also found out that some stainless steel restaurant kitchen containers may be a good idea, but the ones I found online are only 6 inches high, but I'm going to check some shops specialized in hotels/restaurants if they have something higher, as that would really be perfect.
Someone has also suggested restaurant/laundry sink, but that might be too big =heavy, hence difficult to clean.
I'm actually even considering stainless steel bucket :) it could work well with my girl as she's small, jumpy and pees always in the same spot, not needing a lot of space, but I'm sure it wouldn't be an option to my bigger boy, but who knows, this whole thing is an experiment for us anyway (they've been using one box all they adult life and it worked great, but we live now in the bigger place and I thought I'd be good for them to have options).
I'll update if I find something suitable for sure.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OOH! Good idea - I like this! Bookmarking. :) I hate mines litterbox and everything seems to be too small after a while .. I'm not sure if she's growing or not, def not getting fat; but it feels like she's out growing things. :fish: She's 2, but research from what I gather basically says that main coons can continue growth until like, 4 years, and I translate such information onto a mutt such as mine to.. Well, who knows how long she's gonna grow for, she's got a random genetic makeup, so there's no telling. :thud:But her litterbox is too tiny, that's for sure!

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll check it in store after the weekend. I also found out that some stainless steel restaurant kitchen containers may be a good idea, but the ones I found online are only 6 inches high, but I'm going to check some shops specialized in hotels/restaurants if they have something higher, as that would really be perfect.
Someone has also suggested restaurant/laundry sink, but that might be too big =heavy, hence difficult to clean.
I'm actually even considering stainless steel bucket :) it could work well with my girl as she's small, jumpy and pees always in the same spot, not needing a lot of space, but I'm sure it wouldn't be an option to my bigger boy, but who knows, this whole thing is an experiment for us anyway (they've been using one box all they adult life and it worked great, but we live now in the bigger place and I thought I'd be good for them to have options).
I'll update if I find something suitable for sure.
I was wondering if our thread starter (or anyone else who lays eyes on this) has experience with something other than plastic as a litter box?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if our thread starter (or anyone else who lays eyes on this) has experience with something other than plastic as a litter box?
Nope. If I didn’t need really high box, I’d find some, especially the kitchen containers looked pretty good (those used in the hot bars), but since my girl pees soooo high on the wall, I didn’t find anything that would work :(

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For me, it is probably a bit high, at Feeby's age (16+) and a bit of arthritis, I am scared to go above her current box which is between 8 and 9 inches high. I also wonder what she would do with a round box, given she seeks out a corner to pee in!! :crackup:

Galvanized steel can’t be used as a litter box, there was a thread about this, I’ll try to find it. It has something to do with reacting to acidic urine. edit: Does anyone use a galvanized steel tub as a litter box?
Oh, I had completely forgotten about that!!

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably ceramic is our best bet. It is breakable and heavy (this is why our ancestors switched to plastic in the first place). For those sufficiently motivated, you could make it at home or I'm sure you could find someone on Etsy to make it to your specifications.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I‘m not sure if OP wants to avoid disposable boxes due to environmental concerns or because he/she thinks they would not be durable enough, but I’ve used the Nature’s Miracle disposable boxes for a while and like them a lot. They are quite thick so I’ve never had a problem with leakage. I have two cats and they tend to use one box the most, so I started rotating them after two weeks to get a little more life out of them. I replace them about every 3-4 weeks. I get the jumbo size but still wish they were a little bigger and higher.