Alternative to cone of Shame

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so silly me failed. Braveheart s going for Dental Surgery on Monday. (So kinda in a rush now.) Why I failed to think of the obvious, that she'll have to wear a cone of shame for two weeks, is beyond me - but I did.

When she had her biopsy on her foot she did okay with the cone for nearly two days - as a retired feral she was quite good at getting it off. I actually had to leave it off but was very lucky as she didn't even try to undo her foot bandage. This will be very different. There are no two ways around this - she will need to be protected from herself as it's her mouth.

I'm trying to think of alternatives. I see these things on Amazon... (The toast one that's more like a collar than a cone, the pillow collar one ... maybe even the soft cone?)

Amazon Canada- Alternatives to Cone of Shame

Has anyone tried any of these?
Did they actually work to help them keep them on?

NOTE : I think maybe with it being the teeth and face area I might be out-of-luck for alternatives though TBH.

Last edited:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is that different cats seem to react differently to each type of cone. I have a bunch of old plastic and soft cones that I have accumulated from different vet visits and if one isn't working for my cat, I switch to a different type. A lot of my cats seem to do better with the simplest type of clear plastic cone, maybe because they can see through them... the simple cones are also very lightweight. Some do well with a soft cone, but others quickly learn how to fold or bend the soft cone... it can take some experimentation.

(Why do I have a lot of experience with cones? I always use a cone with any type of surgery, as I once had a cat who pulled out her spay stitches. I don't take risks with surgeries any more.)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with LTS3 LTS3 . What's the point of a cone? My cats and fosters have never worn a cone after dental surgery (even full extraction) so I don't think you need to worry yourself about it. The only problem I had was when my cat refused to take food from me after surgery - I was the cause of her pain! 😿

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is that different cats seem to react differently to each type of cone. I have a bunch of old plastic and soft cones that I have accumulated from different vet visits and if one isn't working for my cat, I switch to a different type. A lot of my cats seem to do better with the simplest type of clear plastic cone, maybe because they can see through them... the simple cones are also very lightweight. Some do well with a soft cone, but others quickly learn how to fold or bend the soft cone... it can take some experimentation.

(Why do I have a lot of experience with cones? I always use a cone with any type of surgery, as I once had a cat who pulled out her spay stitches. I don't take risks with surgeries any more.)
Thank you :-)

I might just buy a few then and keep an eye. on what she needs or what works.

I've never heard of a cat wearing a cone post-dental surgery. Did the vet say your cat would need to wear one post-surgery?
Thank you :-)

He has not confirmed this for BH's case yet but I can see could be the case. In one of the links on the surgeons site (video) regarding post treatment care is about cones for 2 weeks. I am prepping just-in-case because I know how she'll respond if she has to have a cone.

Tooth resorption is the issue, multiple, possibly all teeth will be removed.

I agree with LTS3 LTS3 . What's the point of a cone? My cats and fosters have never worn a cone after dental surgery (even full extraction) so I don't think you need to worry yourself about it. The only problem I had was when my cat refused to take food from me after surgery - I was the cause of her pain! 😿
And thank you too! :-)

Oh oh full extractions at once? How did it go? No cones at all?

*puts head down* I am a bit (understatement) of a worrier and I like all my ducks lined up, as best I can, in prep for these sorts of things.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista had a remaining mouth extraction (she didn't have many teeth left at the time.) No cone. She was eating again mere hours after the surgery. But then she was probably also still loopy from the drugs they gave her pre-op. That first night she looked cross-eyed for an hour or so. I gave her another bupe dose and she seemed alright after that. She also had a few brain-freeze moments after grooming where it looked like her tongue touched a painful area. Overall though, aside from becoming a messier eater and a bit of a food flinger, she came through that procedure with flying colors. No cone at all.

If BH ends up needing a cone, the Dr will probably send him home with one. The only time Krista ever needed a cone with all the procedures she went through was the surgery for her ear infection where they had to go in through the lower jaw to drain the middle ear. It left quite an incision and the Dr wanted to make sure she wouldn't scratch it. She was sent home with a soft cone that quickly became a mess when she ate. So I took her cone off for meals. I also took her cone off when I could 100% supervise her--that meant locking her in the office with me and not letting her out of my sight.

If you end up needing to order one, I suggest a soft one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G45XZH4/?tag=thecatsite

I got Krista an adorable lion's mane cone. But it was far too bulky. Sadly, I never got a picture of her wearing it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've had two cats with full mouth extractions and a couple of others with some teeth removed. My vet never even suggested using a cone. I don't really see the purpose of it for oral procedures. It's generally used to keep cats from licking or chewing on surgical incisions or bandages.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never had one, dog or cat, for dental. As for alternates, as was said, it really varies from animal to animal what might work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so very much.

I wanted to be prepared as every time I hear the words "rarely" "don't worry this usually doesn't happen", "this is a rare thing in cats so probably not this" etc etc it turns out - yup rare. So I've not become close to paranoid (not quite but you know what I mean - come to expect it) when it's "rare" lol

It's a wait and see if she does and if she does get a variety. :-)