Altered Behavior After Addition Of New Kitten

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good evening!

I recently fostered a kitten that my own personal cat fell head over heels in love with, which led to me keeping him full time. (He’s 5 months old and been a part of our house since 10/21).

Every is GREAT, and I am a little worried that it may be TOO Great? Let me explain:

My cat Misty LOVES this kitten so much that she lets him have / do anything he wants- eat all her food, play with her favorite toys, etc- and she just sits there and watches.

Is this normal? Her favorite toy would be something she would play with for hours...now she is just content to sit by and watch him play with it? Her food bowl- I’ve got that one. I just feed him in his kennel and don’t let him back out until Misty has finished her food.

They play / cuddle together constantly and have never once gotten the least bit aggressive. I am probably stressing over nothing, but wanted to see if you all have any insight to why her behavior has altered so dramatically.

Thank you!

Olwince

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

It's hard to say exactly what goes on in a cat's mind. Is Misty baffing(grooming, licking) the kitten? Do they chirrup and purr at each other? Maybe the kitten has triggered the maternal instinct in Misty. If there's no sign of aggression or stress, and both eating enough and using the litter box normally, then I'd say that's an exceptionally smooth introduction.

I suggest getting a second set of food and water bowls, and a second litter box, so both cats can have their own places down the road.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply!

Yes, she does groom him constantly!

Also, thank your for the suggestions. I do have multiple litter boxes / bowls / toys, etc. Neither has expressed any dominance over any one and seem to be comfortable sharing all. They just go to whichever is nearest.