Already Have One Of The Best Litters, Need Something Better?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I use SmartCat All Natural Clumping Litter. Which from research seems like one of the best kind of litters out there. I chose it because it's just grass, clumps really well, and has relatively low dust.

The thing is my one kitten digs forever in the litter box, and I fear that she may be getting some dust into her ear. Because the litter is so light, she frequently gets some onto her fur and face.

So anyone got any better litters?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know as the dust from the grass litter would hurt her. So far the grass litters do not bother my asthmatic cat. And he hacks a lot if i use a dusty litter.

I used Smartcat for a long time, then i found Abound, our local Kroger store carries it. It is in my opinion less dusty than the smartcat, which is not dusty. But i dont think Abound breaks down as much.

I also really like Litter maid clumping walnut litter. No dust that i can find. Only problem with this litter is Walmart is the only place i can find it. and it may not clump quite as well as the grass litters. Its a bit heavier and doesnt track as bad. I have been mixing the litter maid walnut and the grass litter in equal amounts in my boxes. I think the strengths of each work better when mixed :)
But either one is good on its own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know as the dust from the grass litter would hurt her. So far the grass litters do not bother my asthmatic cat. And he hacks a lot if i use a dusty litter.

I used Smartcat for a long time, then i found Abound, our local Kroger store carries it. It is in my opinion less dusty than the smartcat, which is not dusty. But i dont think Abound breaks down as much.

I also really like Litter maid clumping walnut litter. No dust that i can find. Only problem with this litter is Walmart is the only place i can find it. and it may not clump quite as well as the grass litters. Its a bit heavier and doesnt track as bad. I have been mixing the litter maid walnut and the grass litter in equal amounts in my boxes. I think the strengths of each work better when mixed :)
But either one is good on its own.
Yeah my cat has being shaking her head a lot, and I just don't know what it could be. She's being to the vet twice, and no luck.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah my cat has being shaking her head a lot, and I just don't know what it could be. She's being to the vet twice, and no luck.
Not sure either. But if you have a walmart nearby maybe try the litter maid walnut litter. It has no dust that i can see. not quite as light weight as the grass. only problem i have with it at all is that about 9/10 days in it does not keep clumping as well as when fresh. But i just use less and change boxes every two weeks, so no big. Or mixing the two its not a problem.

I also love the Dr. Elseys respiratory relief silica crystal litter. i get it from chewy.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure either. But if you have a walmart nearby maybe try the litter maid walnut litter. It has no dust that i can see. not quite as light weight as the grass. only problem i have with it at all is that about 9/10 days in it does not keep clumping as well as when fresh. But i just use less and change boxes every two weeks, so no big. Or mixing the two its not a problem.

I also love the Dr. Elseys respiratory relief silica crystal litter. i get it from chewy.
Okay so maybe what I do is a bit different. I have two giant 20 gallon litter boxes for my two cats. I fill it usually 3 inches deep, and clean them both every day. However I don't empty the containers really ever. I usually wait 2 months before I completely empty them. Do you think that could be causing the ear irritation?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so maybe what I do is a bit different. I have two giant 20 gallon litter boxes for my two cats. I fill it usually 3 inches deep, and clean them both every day. However I don't empty the containers really ever. I usually wait 2 months before I completely empty them. Do you think that could be causing the ear irritation?
Not sure honestly. I know bacteria builds up, i worry about urinary problems with bacteria in the litter. 2 weeks might be a bit quick on the draw, but i feel good with it.

I dont know as it would cause ear irritation, maybe??. But i do know the natural litter breaks down with repeated scooping, all litter does really, and gets dustier each time. For me it works to use less litter, i fill the box fairly good, and just never top up. by two weeks its getting fairly low, so i dump, wash the containers dry very very well and refill. actually i have two sets of boxes, so i wash and let air dry for 2 weeks.

If you like the litter you use you might try it, use less litter, and do a total change when it gets quite low. It makes for more dust free litter i think.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure honestly. I know bacteria builds up, i worry about urinary problems with bacteria in the litter. 2 weeks might be a bit quick on the draw, but i feel good with it.

I dont know as it would cause ear irritation, maybe??. But i do know the natural litter breaks down with repeated scooping, all litter does really, and gets dustier each time. For me it works to use less litter, i fill the box fairly good, and just never top up. by two weeks its getting fairly low, so i dump, wash the containers dry very very well and refill. actually i have two sets of boxes, so i wash and let air dry for 2 weeks.

If you like the litter you use you might try it, use less litter, and do a total change when it gets quite low. It makes for more dust free litter i think.
Hello,
Yes I may try that. Only reason I use more litter is because I don't want any pee or stool to reach the bottom of the box.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that would work for 3 of mine. But my one boy, i think you could have litter 2 feet deep and he would still dig a big ole hole all the way to the bottom to pee. So i gave up trying. If i keep mine deep he still digs to the bottom, and also digs a big pile of it out on the floor, so he can create his masterpiece of a mountain in the middle of the box :doh:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If i keep mine deep he still digs to the bottom, and also digs a big pile of it out on the floor, so he can create his masterpiece of a mountain in the middle of the box :doh:
LOL, cats are weird

So if I understand this right, saleri saleri , you're wondering if the litter you're using is so lightweight that your kitten is possibly getting bits into her ears as she's scratching in the box?

I think duckpond is on the right track suggesting littermaid's walnut. I use it in combo with other clay litters and it is a consistency such that gravity might help keep it from getting kicked up. You could do something similar where you use the two litters mixed together maybe, and see how things go.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL, cats are weird

So if I understand this right, saleri saleri , you're wondering if the litter you're using is so lightweight that your kitten is possibly getting bits into her ears as she's scratching in the box?

I think duckpond is on the right track suggesting littermaid's walnut. I use it in combo with other clay litters and it is a consistency such that gravity might help keep it from getting kicked up. You could do something similar where you use the two litters mixed together maybe, and see how things go.
Yeah but talking to some other vets we don't think that's the case, IDK, just ordered another 40 pounds of litter, will have to see after her appointment.