Already Have A Male 7 Months Cat Neutered

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, so my 7months tabby was neutered when he was 14 weeks. I'm thinking of getting another cat. If I get a female kitten, will he try to mount her? If I get another male cat he won't mount but will he get in fight with him and start spraying?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get either one. Just be sure they are spayed/neuter and that you do a slow introduction. At his young age a 4-7 month old kitten might be ideal. Plus you would be giving a home to a cat that is far less likely to be adopted once they hit 4/5 months old.

I just thought I would add what pretty markings your boy has! Such a pretty swirl!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He most likely won't try to mount a female unless she comes into heat. I have not had a male do that. He may mount a female/male to show dominance, but even that wouldn't last long. He will eventually accept them. If your little one is not spraying now he most likely won't spray, once in a while I have had a cat do that under stress, but only older ones.
You have to do a slow introducement in order for them not to fight. Please research this. Even getting a dog cage to keep one in and then swap them out would help them get used to each other.
Females do not bond as closely with males as other males do usually, if you want buddies get another male. A female will eventually act like a mother and limit play and social times. At seven months he is still enough of a kitten to quickly adapt. Good luck and keep us posted!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this age it doesn't matter if you get a male or a female, he should accept either one. Just try to get a good match for his personality, and of course make sure the other kitty is spayed/neutered before or right after you get them. A kitten about his same age would be best, a couple months in either direction would be fine but you want them to be in the same developmental group.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had long neutered males try to mount/hump both males and females, both for dominance and for fun. Neutered animals still feel all the pleasure that non neutered animals do, there's just no risk of pregnancy.
I've had cats, dogs and horses for decades and definitely have heard that neutered dogs and horses fully can enjoy humping/mounting just as much as unneutered animals do.
The problem is humans who try to manage various behaviors without fully understanding the motives and rewards for the animals.

I will say when both my older male cats had other health issues, both extensive allergies, both were trying so

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So your suggestion is not to get an extra cat. Should I stick with just one? I was looking at a female pedigree bengal kitten that was quite cheap. So I was thinking of getting one so they could play. But at the same time I don't want them to be humping

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean even he's neutered can he get an erection??

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humping is just sort of normal animal behavior though. Does it bother you that much? He may start humping his toys at some point even if you don't get another cat. Not all cats do it but it's not rare either.

There's no penetration with humping. They're just going through the motions. Sometimes it's dominance, sometimes it's play, sometimes it is actually sexual.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i would get another young male. I have had numerous cats, and no one ever humped each other. it will be great company for your cat and someone to play with. with got a tiny kitten years ago, when my other cat was right about that age, and they absolutely adore each other.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a neutered male cat do any humping either, and I've had cats since 11 years old (I'm in my 60's now.) Which isn't saying it never happens as above- but it also can not happen. I'd say go for it and be sure to do the slow introduction.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of the 50+ cats I have had in my life, I have only had two that 'humped' after neutering. They werre both neutered later in life, about two years old. Get the little girl spayed as soon as you can, before she comes into heat, and you shouldn't have ANY problems!

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks all. I decided to just keep him as a solo cat. It just seems like there is a lot of consideations. He always uses litter box and doesnt spray, good attitude. i may just keep him this way instead of bringing a new one and maybe some other drama

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think you ever want another cat, now is the best time for it. But if you're happy with one cat and he's happy as an only cat, that's good too.

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to have another cat that looks like him. But looking at apartment selections, a lot of places state "no pets" so I'm just reluctant if I ever have to move overseas or use cat hotels etc... If it will be too much having the second cat??

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Out of the 50+ cats I have had in my life, I have only had two that 'humped' after neutering. They werre both neutered later in life, about two years old. Get the little girl spayed as soon as you can, before she comes into heat, and you shouldn't have ANY problems!
This! The only cats I have that are notorious humpers were street cats that were adults when neutered and joined the indoor only clowder. One of them is annoying as he is incessant but he goes after blankets and socks not the other cats. We even took in a female nursing a litter and she came into heat while still nursing them, she was interested but he just wanted the blanket.

I think that if they are neutered at an appropriately young age the are far less likely to develop a humping habit, but even if they do it's nowhere near as bad as dogs behave when they are going after your leg!

The bigger concern I think is the apartment situation. You can move overseas with cats quite easily if they are current on shots and you have documentation that the vet gives you. Cat boarding places will have the same requirement.

But if you think you might move and be unable to find a place that allows two pets that might mean you need to consider things a little harder.

We had two cats and it was hard to find apartments that allowed 2. One would've been ok but two was tricky. Then we fostered another cat and wanted to adopt him so we bought a house so we could keep him.

I like seeing people really consider whether getting an animal (any animal) is right for their situation. Your post makes me happy.

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This! The only cats I have that are notorious humpers were street cats that were adults when neutered and joined the indoor only clowder. One of them is annoying as he is incessant but he goes after blankets and socks not the other cats. We even took in a female nursing a litter and she came into heat while still nursing them, she was interested but he just wanted the blanket.

I think that if they are neutered at an appropriately young age the are far less likely to develop a humping habit, but even if they do it's nowhere near as bad as dogs behave when they are going after your leg!

The bigger concern I think is the apartment situation. You can move overseas with cats quite easily if they are current on shots and you have documentation that the vet gives you. Cat boarding places will have the same requirement.

But if you think you might move and be unable to find a place that allows two pets that might mean you need to consider things a little harder.

We had two cats and it was hard to find apartments that allowed 2. One would've been ok but two was tricky. Then we fostered another cat and wanted to adopt him so we bought a house so we could keep him.

I like seeing people really consider whether getting an animal (any animal) is right for their situation. Your post makes me happy.
t

So that is true? Having 2 might make the aparmtnt situation difficult? My current owner did tell me most places allow 1. That's why for 6 months I didn't consider getting a second one. I move quite of bit yearly for apartments and may move overseas as well that's why I'm considering if I can even board the airplane with 2 cats and etc... If that's the case I rather stick with one if you guys agree. I can't just buy a house or something on my own right now....