Alpha-Male Complex Rampaging...

erin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats, all of which are my pride and joy. Two of these cats,(one male, one female) however, we adopted when they were abandoned by their previous "owner" at the foot of a University Biology office door with a note saying they could no longer take care of them. No further info was given with the exception of their names.

Lately, my male cat has been a really big problem. (Please note, it's 1:45 AM, and I have to get up at 4:45 AM every morning. Enough said?) He terrorizes both of my other cats at every opportunity, and is constantly managing to have me pulling my hair out for some reason or another.

My thinking, at this point, is that this is some form of an alpha-male situation, but it never ceases to end. Is there any way to curb this behavior? We have managed to learn that he is at least eleven years old- but can you teach an old cat new tricks?

I'm desperate for advise! Any ideas would be enormously appreciated!

Thanks!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, old cats can learn new tricks. Can you tell us more about how he is being a terror? What kind of things has he been doing?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to the forums Erin!

That is strange. Assuming he's neutered, at his age he should be calm and settled.

It made me think of an article I read in "Cat Fancy" a few months ago about hyperthyroidism. I checked again, and here's what they say about the early symptoms:

A senior cat will gradually lose weight, act frisky (like entering its second kittenhood), vocalize more, demand more food, drink more water, urinate more often and possibly incur attacks of vomiting and diarrhea.
You mentioned this has started lately, so I'm thinking could it be a gradual onset of this condition? What do you think? Do you see any of the other symptoms? I think you may want to have him checked by a vet.

By the way, why not drop by the kitty lounge and tell us more about your cats. Sounds like an interesting story!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way, Lucky is the name of my cat- that will make things a little easier... For as long as he's been with us, about a year and a half, he's always been rather aggressive. (The cat has guts- used to chase our labrador retriever 'toddler' around the house!) The one place, however, that he really almost focuses on, is our other neutered male cat, Erik. We ended up separating the two of them, and unfortunately have to at all times now. I've seen Lucky run into a room and just pounce on him... (Erik is scared to death of Lucky, and very obviously peeks around every corner before making a turn!) Once we intervene and re-separate them, he just goes after Tigger (who is the most innocent little girl you've ever seen, keep in mind.) If we don't step in again, she eventually manages to get away, and then hides somewhere where Lucky can't find her.

The vet doesn't seem to think that anything is awry with his health, but since we just moved, I'm currently looking for a new vet with maybe some new ideas, too. At this point, I'm just about ready to try anything- (guess who managed to keep me awake ALL NIGHT last night - I've been awake for 36 hours straight now...)

I love the feedback I'm receiving so far, and am VERY open to ANY new ideas! (He can be a REAL LOVE - when he wants to be!)

Thanks!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are only a few things I have read about this kind of aggression. They say that usually the agressive behavior stems from a medical problem, rough handeling as a kitten,mistreatment,threatening situations,stressful living conditions,diet, lack of exercise,boredom or declawing. They say when they act out twards other cats to make sure and feed the aggressor first. If they are fighting, make a loud noise to break it up. Try getting their scents on each other by petting one and then going to the next. Also to put a bell on the aggressor so the others know he is coming. Then as a last resort, they say to take the aggressor to a kennel for a week. Then when he comes home, confine him to a bathroom for a week and then let him out while the others are napping or something. I have never had to do this, but it comes from a very good cat person. It is possible a new vet may have some more answers for you. If not, you can try a human herb from the health store. we use it on Ferals to take the edge off. It is called rescue rememdy. Let us know the progress!!

judy miller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If medical reasons are ruled out, place him in a home where he is the only cat. Owning a cat is supposed to enhance our lives, not drive us nuts. If he won't behave, it's not fair for the others to be terrorized day in and day out.
I had a spayed female like this. Mean to the other cats, peed on the bed multiple times. She wanted to be the only pampered darling in the household. Much as I loved her, I could see that she was not happy. I placed her in a home where she gets all the attention lavished on her, and she is very happy.
Judy

judy miller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PS
When we eliminate all the problems one by one, sometimes we find out it is just an attitude problem, and they are happier being the only one.
Judy