"Alpha" cat survey?

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have some opinion questions for people who are familiar with alpha cats. Most answers will be anecdotal but please give links if there were actual studies.

1. What percentage of cats do you think would be classified as alpha cats? (For instance, strong enough to exert themselves over a large group of healthy cats -- not just which cat out of your two housecats is "more alpha" than the other.)

2. At what age do alpha cats begin taking control of their environment and start ascending to their natural position?

3. Are there more female alpha cats or male alpha cats? (Any idea of approximate ratio?)

4. Does anyone know what happens to aging alpha cats?

5. In your opinion, what is the biggest misunderstanding most people have regarding alpha cats?

Thanks for any replies!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll answer from my experiences with my large household.

Originally Posted by Nano

I have some opinion questions for people who are familiar with alpha cats. Most answers will be anecdotal but please give links if there were actual studies.

1. What percentage of cats do you think would be classified as alpha cats? (For instance, strong enough to exert themselves over a large group of healthy cats -- not just which cat out of your two housecats is "more alpha" than the other.) 1 per household / colony. Even though it may seem that there may be more than one, there is always one true alpha and he may be bonded with allies that appear to play that role from time to time.

2. At what age do alpha cats begin taking control of their environment and start ascending to their natural position?I see alpha traits starting in kitten hood in some cases, but have never experienced them ascending until they were at least 18 months old. My current alpha (Stumpy) took that role at 18 months when his predecesor died suddenly from heart failure at 8 years old. Stumpy wasn't ready for the role, and had some bad experiences early on. There were 3 older males in the house at the time and it was obvious they either didn't want the role or didn't have the charisma to take it. It took Stumpy close to 2 years to fully rule the house without challenge.

3. Are there more female alpha cats or male alpha cats? (Any idea of approximate ratio?) Mine have always been male, but then I always have more males than females. My husband calls our girl Scarlett the alpha female, but she is more the "princess" in the house. At 6 pounds she has been known to rule over Stumpy (14 pounds), but its more of a consession from Stumpy than anything.

4. Does anyone know what happens to aging alpha cats? Our last alpha died at 8 from heart failure so he never really got old. Stumpy is now 10 and the only sign he is giving us of letting up control is that it is obvious he is grooming Spanky (about 2 years old) to be his successor. I will be curious what happens between the 2 as Stumpy gets older.

My friend had 3 old cats that she lost one by one. When 2 of them crossed, she adoped 4 younger males. The oldest of the males challenged the old alpha (age 17) and while the challenge was always there, the old boy remained alpha until the day he died.

5. In your opinion, what is the biggest misunderstanding most people have regarding alpha cats?That you can have multiple alphas. There is always a pecking order in a large group of cats, but one always rules.

Thanks for any replies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Momofmany! Anyone else have anything to say?

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1. What percentage of cats do you think would be classified as alpha cats? (For instance, strong enough to exert themselves over a large group of healthy cats -- not just which cat out of your two housecats is "more alpha" than the other.) I would say that one cat per house hold, like the other poster. or per colony however you would like to name it. we have a house of 5 adults, and 7 kittens right now (three are only two days old) and one Alpha.

2. At what age do alpha cats begin taking control of their environment and start ascending to their natural position? Our Alpha took control since day Uno. She was the first one in the house, and she had remained in control, since she was a baby.

3. Are there more female alpha cats or male alpha cats? (Any idea of approximate ratio?)My Alpha is a female. we have three female adults and two male currently. And one was not fixed when he came into the home, he is now. But she dominated him anyways. She made it VERY clear this is HER house. and he was to abide by HER rules. suffice to say he is still abit on the outside loop with her, everyone else loves him.

4. Does anyone know what happens to aging alpha cats? That I can not answer yet as my Alpha is till young...through each cat thats been brought in tho, she has stood her ground abd kept her position without much arguement.

5. In your opinion, what is the biggest misunderstanding most people have regarding alpha cats? That there can be more than one..and that they are mean..Dutchess is a very sweet cat.

Thanks for any replies!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cant answer most of them but my Kandie came out of the womb alpha... she was in her litter of one girls to four boys and at home over a male and a female as well as the dogs

ranger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting survey! I'm reading other people's answers here with great interest. Out of my lot:

1. What percentage of cats do you think would be classified as alpha cats?

Out of four, two of mine are alpha. It took me a long time of reading Hissy's descriptions here of the alpha dynamics before I realised there were two and I began to see a little of what's going on. The raggies are very much 'pack' cats, they are emotionally very close and sociable, and it's rare for any of them to act much alone, while Vicket is very aloof, so it's a case of three and one anyway. Vicket is the alpha alpha, with all deferring to her over food and territory, and backing down instantly if she asserts herself- although two out of the three raggies are twice her size. Jake is also an alpha and the leader of the raggies. He and Vicket share some of the top alpha traits out between them which is very interesting to watch. Over the years, looking at cats who have classic ALPHA stamped on their personalities as opposed to the cat who becomes dominant in a group, I've had three out of approximately twenty.

2. At what age do alpha cats begin taking control of their environment and start ascending to their natural position?

Both Vicket and Jake had alpha personalities from the day I first met them. Vicket at six weeks of age, tried to beat up a yorkshire terrier that she didn't approve of, and a six week old kitten in a serious tantrum is quite mindblowing to watch, we nearly re named her Buzzsaw. She has always been the one, from a few months old, who decided when and how a new cat integrated into the house, and it was on her terms. She has a fair amount of aggression as part of her personality. Jake is a large, friendly clown without any aggression at all, but was ruling the roost over three litters of kittens when I first met him, and he was driving his breeder crazy by being into everything and totally fearless, and by his strength and skill at play wrestling, which he used to deal with any kitten that challenged him. Or any that he felt like. That continued at home. He has never seriously fought, attacked or hurt anyone and it's entirely non aggressive, but he wrestle plays with the other raggies and wins hands down every time.

3. Are there more female alpha cats or male alpha cats? (Any idea of approximate ratio?)

One female to two males of the serious serious alphas as I mentioned. Although I've tended to have more males than females, and introducing Jazzie to this group was a big risk and I knew it: I took it as the raggies tend to be very laid back and easy going and I knew wouldn't challenge her. For ten years I kept the group with Vicket as the only female.

Vicket currently behaves as though she's having a midlife crisis and needs hormone replacement therapy. She will be alpha in this group all her life, she only has to growl and all three back straight off, she never actually has to physically challenge for anything. It's sheer force of personality. If she isn't able to get to the height she wants or she gets too crowded by the others she gets extremely grumpy and short tempered with them, and she has to be fed on the counter while the others eat on the floor, or she will defend all four bowls and not allow the others to eat at all. I can see when she's elderly that I will need to enable that physical dominance more for her in order to keep the peace. Of the other three, Jake eats first, the other two have whatever he's not currently eating, and they change bowls a lot. There is absolutely no fear involved in that relationship. The dominance is seen a lot in grooming, playing, simply deferring to him, but the other two love him to bits. If one of them is unwell or scared, they go to him and that's when you'll see him groom them. Since its a natural part of Jake's personality too, I can't see it changing as he gets older. What would happen if I brought another alpha personality cat into the group I don't know.

5. In your opinion, what is the biggest misunderstanding most people have regarding alpha cats?

The genuine need to co operate with the ranking order? Things like feeding on different levels and providing high places. My gang don't worry or react to you petting or lifting up one of the lower ranked cats first, but that is something I keep an eye on. Incidentally, Jake, who is a cuddle monster, does not DO being picked up, apparently it's undignified. He gets on me on his terms when no one else is looking. Vicket, when she wants a cuddle, stalks up to me and growls at anyone else in her way, and they all clear out on the word, giving her immediate access.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend's household has five cats. The smallest female is the definite alpha (they call her the "fun police" because she smacks anyone she catches playing). After her, my boyfriend's oversized male siamese rules the roost.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. What percentage of cats do you think would be classified as alpha cats? (For instance, strong enough to exert themselves over a large group of healthy cats -- not just which cat out of your two housecats is "more alpha" than the other.) This is a difficult question because there can be several alpha cats depending on how big the group is. At one time I had 23 cats and 8 alphas. They would take turns jockeying for the position, and the yowling and posturing was evident as to who was trying to achieve the position the most. There was no bloodshed, but it was noisy and the true alpha would run off the others until he or she was challenged again. When you have changing numbers, you never know how many alphas come into the group.

2. At what age do alpha cats begin taking control of their environment and start ascending to their natural position? I have seen them as young as 4 months take on the alpha and try to takeover the group. Prowler, my latest alpha has been challenging my two alphas since she has arrived, and now Gyspy who has been with us for quite awhile now is also trying to challenge for the position.

3. Are there more female alpha cats or male alpha cats? (Any idea of approximate ratio?) I have had more female alpha cats than male. Right now, my two alphas are females, but I have also had other times when the males come up in the ranks.

4. Does anyone know what happens to aging alpha cats? Usually, in a colony they are run off and become a pariah of the group. A newer, younger, stronger alpha will be sure to keep the oldster on the outskirts, running him or her off during feedings and chasing them long distances to get the point across.

5. In your opinion, what is the biggest misunderstanding most people have regarding alpha cats? That they are mean to people. They are strong and independent and usually quite smart.

Thanks for any replies!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are my thoughts...

1. What percentage of cats do you think would be classified as alpha cats? (For instance, strong enough to exert themselves over a large group of healthy cats -- not just which cat out of your two housecats is "more alpha" than the other.)
I currently have 4 cats-Bobber was quasi alpha but moved to the top of
the heap when Sheba was no longer in the picture.
Well Bobber is 6 yrs old. Bakker at 8 months is trying for the number 2
spot.
I've usually had more females so I can't help you there.
I'll find out as Bakker gets bigger and older. Sheba was 9 yrs and I had thought she was giving up her position to Bobber.
That they are fighters and are aggressive all the time and loners too because of this behavior.
Thanks for any replies!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1. What percentage of cats do you think would be classified as alpha cats? (For instance, strong enough to exert themselves over a large group of healthy cats -- not just which cat out of your two housecats is "more alpha" than the other.) I think one cat per group or colony is the alpha cat.

2. At what age do alpha cats begin taking control of their environment and start ascending to their natural position? Some start extremely young. Our Scout was only about 8 weeks old when we found her. The first time she met Misty, our Akita, Scout jumped on her face in an attack! It was a battle for supremacy until Scout died. And Scout was ALWAYS top among the cats.

3. Are there more female alpha cats or male alpha cats? (Any idea of approximate ratio?) My guess would be even.

4. Does anyone know what happens to aging alpha cats? In my experience, their intelligence keeps them on top of the heap, in alpha position.

5. In your opinion, what is the biggest misunderstanding most people have regarding alpha cats? That other cats feel oppressed by them. I think other cats respect them, and maybe even are envious and try to get the alpha position. But I don't think they feel oppressed.

Thanks for any replies!