Alpha cat Question

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for being here Kerry

In September of 2006 we lost our Beloved beautiful girl
Bella
(she is the cat in my Avatar) and she was the Alpha cat, after she passed our guy Severino who is 4 took over as alpha, over Sophia who is 8 and Joey who is 4. Severino is a very easy going wonderful boy. When Bella was sick he never left her side, he was very worried. In March we got a new kitten, Lucia Bella, who by the way has a very strong personality and has no fear, well, Severino is constantly on top of her, whether it be her back or her belly
sometimes biting her neck, this is not how my sweet boy should be acting. Last Friday she was spayed, he has not touched her since, hopefully because he knows she is/was sore. I'm sure he will continue this once she's better. Why do u think he's doing this? Is it because he's the alpha? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she became the alpha at some point. Thanks in advance

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by preciousmom

Oops, well there goes that theory
Hrrmmm maybe not. Neutered boys will sometimes mount and/or "mate" with an intact girl. Some do, some don't. Was she in heat?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Chip tries this with Pixel, some, too - i think he's just trying to assert dominance. doesn't work - she just whacks him & runs away

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,
This is a common situation, I hear this type of behavior a lot. It is normal for males to assert their dominace like this, especially with a young female. Since she recently got spayed it will take her a couple weeks for her hormones to drop down, after this she won't be as enticing to the alpha male. Once she fully recovers from her spay Severino should not mount her any longer, if he does it is strictly to assert his dominace, not to mate. Severino is not messing with her right now because he does not recognize her. Cats recognize each other by scent and since she just came from the vet she doesn't smell like herself, so that's why he's keeping his distance for the moment. Things should return to normal within 2 weeks....except for the whole mounting thing, that should stop completely. I hope this sheds a little light on the situation, have a great weekend!
Kerry

Originally Posted by Bella713

Thanks for being here Kerry

In September of 2006 we lost our Beloved beautiful girl
Bella
(she is the cat in my Avatar) and she was the Alpha cat, after she passed our guy Severino who is 4 took over as alpha, over Sophia who is 8 and Joey who is 4. Severino is a very easy going wonderful boy. When Bella was sick he never left her side, he was very worried. In March we got a new kitten, Lucia Bella, who by the way has a very strong personality and has no fear, well, Severino is constantly on top of her, whether it be her back or her belly
sometimes biting her neck, this is not how my sweet boy should be acting. Last Friday she was spayed, he has not touched her since, hopefully because he knows she is/was sore. I'm sure he will continue this once she's better. Why do u think he's doing this? Is it because he's the alpha? Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she became the alpha at some point. Thanks in advance