alot of middening

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
neighbour has 5 cats 2 adult females 3 kittens all females. [1 adult has collar also one kitten]

all the cats are outdoors, and neighbour feeds them daily.

At beginning october, two dogs got into my garden and chased one of the kttens and adult female, [primarily, the adult female, was the main prey] the rest of the cats, observed from being already at a high vantage point, and since then all five cats have been middening in my garden from top two bottom, even on my porch.

the cats have now decided to residence at the end of my garden, as i have a few branches laid [about 8 feet long and 4 feet high] there and are middneing all over the place, and by my shed, which is located at the end of the garden, making it a inconvenient to cut the grass, with shears [my normal code of practice]

speaking to the neigbour, they have denied ownership.

problem is trying to cut grass with so much middening and hanging clothes out on the line, is an issue with all the files, flying overhead due to the middening.

I would like to start some planting and heavy garden work come jan 2021.

just wandering is my best option, to use deterrrents around the end of the garden and by my porch and clothes line.
call a cat rescue centre

allow the cats to shelter at the end of the garden and come what may with the middening and what may follow, i do not know the neuter status of the cats
or other --- suggestions welcome

All five cats are middening [poo] in my garden

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try liquid ammonia. Use reagent grade (the pure stuff) if you can get it.

Cats find the smell of ammonia repulsive.

Side benefit: It turns into fertilizer as it decomposes. (It turns into nitrogen.)

Cautions: Ammonia is noxious to smell, toxic to inhale and can burn the skin if not washed off ASAP.
Especially if you use reagent grade, in which case, you'll need gloves and eye protection goggles.
Don't open a container of reagent grade ammonia indoors unless you have really good ventilation or else you'll fumigate the whole house. If using indoors, you'll also need an ammonia-safe respirator.

You'll need to reapply it fairly often, especially if it rains.

But you should only need to keep doing it long enough to send those cats the message that your garden isn't their bathroom.

Just spread it on the ground in strategic locations where you don't want cats to go.

I have used ammonia, successfully, to keep unwanted cats from coming up onto my back porch and tormenting Casper.

The difference, here, might be that I only had to cover a small area (12 ft. X 20 ft. porch) whereas your back yard and garden is probably significantly larger.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Try liquid ammonia. Use reagent grade (the pure stuff) if you can get it.

Cats find the smell of ammonia repulsive.

Side benefit: It turns into fertilizer as it decomposes. (It turns into nitrogen.)

Cautions: Ammonia is noxious to smell, toxic to inhale and can burn the skin if not washed off ASAP.
Especially if you use reagent grade, in which case, you'll need gloves and eye protection goggles.
Don't open a container of reagent grade ammonia indoors unless you have really good ventilation or else you'll fumigate the whole house. If using indoors, you'll also need an ammonia-safe respirator.

You'll need to reapply it fairly often, especially if it rains.

But you should only need to keep doing it long enough to send those cats the message that your garden isn't their bathroom.

Just spread it on the ground in strategic locations where you don't want cats to go.

I have used ammonia, successfully, to keep unwanted cats from coming up onto my back porch and tormenting Casper.

The difference, here, might be that I only had to cover a small area (12 ft. X 20 ft. porch) whereas your back yard and garden is probably significantly larger.
Ammonia can repel, but it can also encourage marking with some cats. And these cars sound unneutered, so there may be elevated risk.

J japam Cat deterrents are worth a shot.

Scat mat, air cans, orange peels, motion detection sprinklers, etc, or a combination of several might help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ammonia can repel, but it can also encourage marking with some cats. And these cars sound unneutered, so there may be elevated risk.

J japam Cat deterrents are worth a shot.

Scat mat, air cans, orange peels, motion detection sprinklers, etc, or a combination of several might help!
what do you mean by 'there may be elevated risk'

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Good point.

Two things, however:

1) I only had to keep cats out of a small area. Just my back porch. With such a small area, there are more places for cats to go, besides my porch.

2) I also scared the unwanted cat away, yelling at it, stomping my feet and making "monster" noises... "G-R-O-W-L!"

In a large area, the cats could just go to another place in the same yard.

Even though it might be good to use repellent, I think it's also important to physically scare the unwanted cats away.

I like the automatic sprinkler idea! :anticipation:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. Good point.

Two things, however:

1) I only had to keep cats out of a small area. Just my back porch. With such a small area, there are more places for cats to go, besides my porch.

2) I also scared the unwanted cat away, yelling at it, stomping my feet and making "monster" noises... "G-R-O-W-L!"

In a large area, the cats could just go to another place in the same yard.

Even though it might be good to use repellent, I think it's also important to physically scare the unwanted cats away.

I like the automatic sprinkler idea! :anticipation:
today i caught the adult cat trying to scratch my blanket on the clothes line, in the garden,is this the cat trying mark territory