Aloof cat after vet visit and human quarrel

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been aloof after a vet visit last Thursday and then on Friday my partner and I had a fight with raised voices. The cat went to the vet for diaherra from an allergic reaction to something so hes on the hydrolyzed food and I cannot win his affection back with treats.

I think where I screwed up is before the fight my partner was playing with him but when we started to argue I had to pick the cat up in the middle/start of playtime to give my partner some space (our cats are separate so.its a safety thing). The other two things is we had to directly pill him with his kitty prozac because of food allergies (he won't take compounded liquid that is flavored we tried tuna and chicken). He was also scratching a lot so I used some collodial oatmeal spray on my hands to stop him irritating/rubbing his skin raw.

I know this is A LOT for one kitty so I'm giving it time. I'm trying to rebuild trust through play and affection on his terms but food is not an option because the vet said no extra treats/anything other than the hydrolyzed protein diet. We are also using a feliway and Music for Cats playlist. He also got a steroid shot last week to help with inflammation. If he's still acting like this next week we might go back to the vet to make sure he is ok but recent blood work, etc shows he's normal.
Again this is my bad so just want to make him comfortable but the allergy means no treats, no Rescue Remedy, etc.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the hydrolyzed stuff Hill’s by any chance? My cat had itches too and we tried Hill’s w unfavorable results. Have found that both RAWZ wet food and Farmiba’s pumpkin and quail (also wet) work quite well, the trick being to keep it to as few ingredients as possible.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
PS I meant Farmina. As for the fighting, I think pets sense things just as kids do! Perhaps a calming spot of meditation or “cat yoga” might lower everyone’s blood pressure.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If treats really help him, there are hydrolyzed protein cat treats - both for Hill's and RC (and, even Purina) do an internet search for them based on the brand-named food you are feeding him. It wouldn't hurt to call your vet and ask about these treats; they may very well sell them at their office. They may even have some that could be used to encapsule the prozac pill (like a Greenie).

Bach Rescue Remedy can also be applied to the inner ear flap as opposed to orally. Check with your vet, but I suspect that would be OK.

Last edited: