aloe vera

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure how to open up a continuing conversation of an older comment of 2013, or even if i will get an answer back so i started a new one. My poor kitty has been having pancreas problems again, and I am at my wits end, trying to help her. So I decided to start looking for different options for her and I came across comments about aloe vera juice. So I am very interested in information on this, anyone that has used it and how well it worked. Is there vets that recommend this for cats? I have never heard of this. So this is new to me, but i am open for anything at this moment to help my kitty. Also i had read they use pepid AC for cat too. Thank you

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry your girl is having problems again :(

Aloe vera is toxic to cats, so its definitely not something I'd want to explore.

I have heard of pepid AC being used in cats (specifically IBD kitties), so that might well be something to explore with your vet.

Edit: I've just done a little more digging, and have found this
Aloe vera is a plant with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which historically has been used in humans for skin conditions and for constipation. Human studies have indicated that it may have cancer fighting effects, however long term use may cause cancer according to one study in rats and mice.

The outer part of the plant is toxic to cats but the inner part is safe.

Aloe juice made from the inner leaf contains anthraquinone, a stimulant laxative. In 2002 the US Food and Drug Administration issued a final ruling stating that "the stimulant laxative ingredients aloe (including aloe extract and aloe flower extract)...in over-the- counter (OTC) drug products are not generally recognized as safe and effective or are misbranded."

I consider there are much better, gentler and, bearing in mind the need to source a product that is definitely not toxic to cats, safer treatments for constipation and would not give aloe vera juice to my cat.

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center has some information about aloe vera.
From Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Holistic Treatments

I hope that helps, and that you find a treatment plan that works for your girl very soon :crossfingers::vibes:

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have heard of people using Aloe Vera Juice (and a very specific type, George's I believe) for cats with digestive issues, but not specifically for pancreas issues. Here are my search results here in TCS where you can view some of the threads discussing it: Search Results for Query: aloe vera juice/search/

As far as Pepcid A/C goes, it is used to curb over acidity in both humans and cats. Not speciic to the pancreas either, but if you have a cat that is vomiting because of over acidity, it can help. I used it for three of my cats with kidney disease who had stomach acid issues. The usual dose for cats is 1/4 tablet, and it must be the regular Pepcid A/C, original strenth. You can use generic brands though.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aloe vera is, indeed, toxic to cats, but ONLY the outer leaves, the fibrous part. That said, I would ONLY use a commercially prepared product (which will not contain any of the outer leaf at all), and check with your vet first.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that Aloe Vera is toxic to cats, as others said.
For my cat I used Aloe Arborescens juice, and I think she received great advantages, but it was a different issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My poor kitty has been having pancreas problems again, and I am at my wits end, trying to help her. So I decided to start looking for different options for her and I came across comments about aloe vera juice. So I am very interested in information on this, anyone that has used it and how well it worked. Is there vets that recommend this for cats? I have never heard of this. So this is new to me, but i am open for anything at this moment to help my kitty. Also i had read they use pepid AC for cat too. Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
We're glad you're here! The pepcid might be an option for your kitty, but not if she is on antibiotics.
She is not on any antibiotic, she is taking nothing at the moment. They took her off of everything. I did give her 1/8 of a tablet to be on the safe side, but not sure how much is alright to give her and how often. Should it be given with food or no food. Not sure what the taste is like but knowing her it doesn't matter, she still isn't going to like it. I want to get her insides calmed down, and once this happens i want to go get some blood work done so we can see what might be going on. But the other night she got into some dry food and that's when it all starts over again. I have to pick up all the dry food from all the other cats and they are not happy, but for some reason Bella is a smart cat and she will figure out or find what she is looking for. And she did find some food. So now there is no food out. I have food in bowls with lids on around the house. When Bella is not in the room or not around i try to feed my other cats some dry. They eat wet also, but they do want there dry. From the beginning 2017 I figured out that treats and dry food was the issue for Bella causing this vomiting and diarrhea. And over and over this seems to be the problem. I had tried giving her dry and things would go well for a while and then we were back with the vomiting and diarrhea. I had tired a good dry food too and down the road it becomes an issue. I read that dry food really wasn't good for cats with stomach, pancreas, IBD issues. I was always wondering if cats will get over this problem and be ok, or is this an on going problem. Is there something to cure the pancreas problem, so we don't have this issue. I don't mean medicine, something like a specific food, or supplements. It just seems to me so many cats have this problem, and why, what caused it.