Alnutrin not for Kittens?? - Conflicting Info

Salticid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for posting a new thread so very soon but I didn't want this post to get conflated with my last one.
I have a concern and I really need people with experience and who know more to please weigh in because now I'm really confused.

I mentioned in my last thread that I wasn't sure what kind of Alnutrin for boneless meat to get: Eggshell or Mineral calcium supplement.
I asked in the last thread if there's a known uptake difference and if one might be better for kitten growth than the other.
I mentioned I had also emailed Alnutrin to ask them.

Well, I heard back this morning and this was the reply:
I am really sorry but kittens have higher calcium, magnesium and phosphorus requirements than what can be achieved with our Alnutrin with Calcium (or Alnutrin with EggShell Calcium) formulated for adult cats. You can start using these products when your kittens are over 9 months old.

Best regards,

Marta Kaspar
So now I'm deeply confused.

I thought I had read that people have used Alnutrin for kittens?
That kittens even just starting to wean can be introduced to raw and/or home-cooked or live prey rather than commercial food?
That if a diet is correctly balanced to get as close to live prey it's all that's needed and basically you just let the kitten eat as much as they like rather than watching their intake?
I mean, a kitten in the wild isn't going to be eating "Kitten Formula Food" unless we're talking Mother's Milk and at this point my kids would long be off of that anyway. They'd be learning how to hunt and eating what Mom eats.
I know there are commercial companies that make "kitten formula" foods but there are just as many which don't and instead just recommend to feed more.

So what's going on here?
Is Alnutrin bad for kittens?
Should I be looking at a different premix and if so, what might be more appropriate? I know TC Feline says they're appropriate for kittens as does Better In The Raw. Unfortunately EZ Complete is out of my price range.
Or is this something that she has to respond with for liability reasons due to the ... IDK if 'backlash' is the right word but something along those lines... against Raw and Homemade feeding in recent years?

Seriously, please help. IDK why my last thread got no real response but this has me very concerned.
I just really think species appropriate feeding is best and I want what's best for my boys from the earliest age I can get started to give them their best start in life and not cause any damage I won't see until they're in their late 10's to teens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salticid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to put that answer to my post above here, since no one else has, so anyone reading doesn't get the wrong idea from the title and worry: The error - as expected - was my own understanding of what I was reading and thinking of using. Alnutrin for Meat and Bone is OK for kittens, not Alnutrin with Calcuim.

I had also asked in another community and it was explained to me that real bone or bone meal is just not something that can be substituted for, especially in growing kittens. That what I had seen in my research the last few months were either premixes that use real Bone Meal (for example TC Feline or EZ Complete) or a mix made for bone-in grind. Using either of those is OK for kittens, though the latter is the best possible and if I were to use the former I should find a way to still get real bone into their diets sometimes.

And there's a caveat that kittens under 9 months should probably still get canned wet food too just in case, to round out any micros that could be just off for kitten growth, and Salmon Oil should also definitely be added.

So that was the disconnect that had me reeling.

So I apologise for the double post, but I notice there have been a lot of looks despite zero replies.
Which I don't understand at all why no one has said anything yet. Honestly I'm low key hurt that no one wants to even try to help out... Isn't that a big part of what communities are for? IDK, I must be getting old.

Abcdefghazale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your post is from 3 years ago. I DID THE SAME MISTAKE!

I have been feeding my 5months old Alnutrin with Calcium since they were 3.5months old. That is a lot of food I have been feeding them given their age. I feel so bad right now that I did not research further. It is not mentioned on the website too. You'd think that there should be a disclaimer or something.
Maybe I missed it? But I read the website a lot of times. 😭

Abcdefghazale

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just knew about it TODAY! After J joined a facebook group about feline nutritions 😩. I have thrown all the food that I have made. We are back to fully canned food now.

I thought I wanted to save some money by making their food. Vet visits could cost me more if I was still in the dark.