Almost Time For Football Season!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
In only a few more weeks, I will be turning into a football widow....happens every year. Rick has been watching some preseason games on Thursdays already. The news sports sessions are full of high school and college football. Around here, PennState fans are anxiously awaiting the new season. As for professional football, Dear Richard is praying for a repeat of his precious Eagles' fight for the championship.

What does that mean? Well, it means that on weekends, dinner will be served in the living room so Rick doesn't have to miss a play and I will serve him so he doesn't have to get off the couch. It means that I will be on my own while the games are on, so he doesn't have to miss a game at all. He is in two fantasy football leagues, so our conversations will center around all the happenings in the leagues and how he'll deal with the different players. During their draft picks, it's a big party for them and they have a great time.

And the yelling. "What in the :censored: world do you :censored: think you're :censored: doing?" And comments and questions like that. My mild-mannered husband turns into a male shrew during football season, esp when his beloved Eagles are playing in the game. Lots of yelling, lots of pounding the furniture. Lots of comments. Lots of walking around the living room. And complaining. And so on. The cats will usually find me and also complain bitterly.

It's a football thing. And maybe it's not quite as bad as I've described it because Dear Richard has calmed down a lot in his old age. The cussing isn't quite as bad as it used to be. The yelling, OTOH, still is. But it's still an interesting season around here. :)

Are you into football? Waiting anxiously for the season to start? Or dreading it?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really couldn't care less. DH was not a fan either and knew nothing about it so it's never been an issue in our house. I don't get the hype at all. Neither did he.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a big Redskin fan but I have lost interest over the years. I just became so disappointed watching them lose so much.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been a football fan for most of my life. And I am looking forward to the coming season. However...I know it is a violent sport and it will probably change significantly in the coming years. So many players with CTE.:headshake:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel your pain but DH is a big hockey fan and since I enjoy hockey too I don't mind watching with him.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't usually watch the games but when I do there is usually my customary swearing at the tv and stomping my foot. Hockey too. I don't have patience for baseball. I prefer fast paced sports.

I still remember the time the Patriots won by the skin of their teeth at the end of the superbowl. That was incredible....back in 1997. They were playing against the Packers. That was a good game...but I am sure more changes will be made to reduce injuries...

Jon likes watching boxing matches...it's grown on me and I don't mind especially when it's the women on. I didn't like sports but now with dumb stuff on tv sports seems to be a good choice.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS BABY! After htye came within one play of Super Bowl 52 it wil be exciting to seei fhey finally get over the hump. They still have some good players on offense from last year and the NFL's best defense is nearly intact as far as I know, but the last time this happened they stunk the next 7 seasons.

My bevhaior on football days goes like this:
  • I tell Mom, "You are required to help me root for . . ." or watch it with me. I also tell her hwen she is eating, "(Team) needs your help," and tell her what the score, time left, offensive team, etc. are if it is close in the fourth or OT.
  • If the Jaguars are playing, I tell my cat to be a little Jaguars fan. If there is a bad play in that game, I accuse her of not being a good Jaguars fan. If there is a Jaguars score or takeaway I tell her, "I see you rooting for the Jaguars."
  • Once I put football over family because Mom stupidly bought concert tickets for a Sunday afternoon performance. Whenever possible, I only let her make such plans around my football schedule.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to be a big Redskins fan but I have lost interest over the years. I just became so disappointed watching them lose so much.
But they clinched a division title two years ago!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't usually watch the games but when I do there is usually my customary swearing at the tv and stomping my foot. Hockey too. I don't have patience for baseball. I prefer fast paced sports.

I still remember the time the Patriots won by the skin of their teeth at the end of the superbowl. That was incredible....back in 1997. They were playing against the Packers. That was a good game...but I am sure more changes will be made to reduce injuries...

Jon likes watching boxing matches...it's grown on me and I don't mind especially when it's the women on. I didn't like sports but now with dumb stuff on tv sports seems to be a good choice.
You are sooooo mixed up. Green Bay won Super Bowl 31 by a 99-yard touchdown (punt return). The Super Bowl New England barely won was 49 against Seattle.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the Jaguars are playing, I tell my cat to be a little Jaguars fan. If there is a bad play in that game, I accuse her of not being a good Jaguars fan. If there is a Jaguars score or takeaway I tell her, "I see you rooting for the Jaguars."
LOL, Go daisy-kitty!!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
When I Had a gray and white tabby and Ohio State was playing, I told him to root for the gray team.

BTW I yell during games too. During one of those runs where they say "he can go all the way" I yell, "Keep going keep going keep going!"

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ugh, looks like the Broncos aren't going to be much fun to watch this year.
Maybe it'll be the Jaguars year :)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh, looks like the Broncos aren't going to be much fun to watch this year.
Maybe it'll be the Jaguars year.
I thought last year was Jacksonville's year after they won at Pittsburgh twice. The Broncos suck now, but I am interested in their QB room.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Aaron just left to go to a fantasy football draft. My family's draft is next Sunday, here.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends and I used to just watch the Super Bowl, pick a team and buy the t-shirt. Since learning that players get brain damage, I haven't seemed to watch it as much. I usually watch the Halftime show though.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm super excited. I play fantasy football so every Sunday I'll be switching between numerous different games just to see how the players on my fantasy team are doing. I get a little obsessed with it. :lol: I'm in Michigan and it's hard to get behind the Lions but in all my football watching I've come to find that I enjoy watching the Vikings the most.