Almost 3-week-old kitten refusing bottle

ska003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

So I have been raising a kitten since he was 1 day old (rejected by mom) and he has been doing quite well. However lately he has been refusing the bottle, chewing on it, not latching, and turning his head from it. I actually took him to the vet last night and was told he was fine.

However, it has been almost a day since he has eaten properly. I have forced a few drops into him almost every hour or 2 to make sure he doesn't crash. He seems fine and is walking around and such but just does not want anything to do with the bottle. I tried the sugar water hack which worked when he was a baby but not anymore it seems.

Any suggestions, I'm desperate.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On YouTube thekittenlady has a video called : 10 tips for tricky bottle baby kittens. I would suggest you watch the video. Please keep us posted.

Hopefully someone with more experience can weigh in here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is the kitten’s weight? How much has he usually been eating in a 24-hour period? Has he been pooping normally?

There is a chance that he is simply not hungry for a day.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did have some piranha kittens that defiantly upped their game at 5 weeks. I resorted to feeding them milk/kmr from a saucer and giving the runt an extra week of bottle time (I was down to the last nipple!) However at 3 weeks I think the kitten is to young for a saucer. You can try it though.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you looked closely at his gums? Some plastic nipples can cause blisters and sore mouth. Miracle Nipples are expensive but less prone to causing irritation and the milk flow is more easily controlled by the design. Please keep us updated!