Alli Has Crystals

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got Alli back in and they were able to get some urine. They are sending out for culture. But say he has a lot of struvite crystals in his urine. So that was causing the licking.
So he is currently eating canned food twice a day. About 3 ounces. And dry food twice a day. Recently changed from grain free simply nourish to purina one sensitive stomach. Because the other cats were throwing up. They gave me the urinary so canned for him to try. They didnt have dry. So I either order on chewy or maybe just feed all canned? I still have 7 to feed. So trying not to go broke, but feed what's going to work.
How does the urinary so work to dissolve crystals?
What options do I have? Do I need to dissolve them first them work on keeping them gone?

Ps we do have 2 fountains and 2 water dishes. I think he might be drinking less in the winter as the water gets so cold. :( I do add extra water to their wet food

How much does stress and fish play a part. He was stressed from the 2 cats we rehomed and it seem to start when I started giving them more canned food which meant he was getting more flavors with fish :(

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Tbh, after years of looking at this stuff and hearing everyone's opinion, I think most urinary care foods are made to encourage a cat to drink more and help with PH balance (acidic vs. alkaline) - which is the primary cause of stone/crystal formation.

The bottom line is generally more wet food - and most importantly, more water.

And, other than cost, there is no harm in giving all cats - regardless of whether or not they have urinary issues - foods to help the urinary tract and aide in prevention of stones/crystals. I have also seen some combined urinary care/sensitive stomach brands, but I would have to do a search to find them again. Perhaps, Royal Canin is one, maybe even Hill's? There is also Purina Pro and Wysong for urinary care, but I am not sure about those being combined with sensitive stomach. I believe all of those come in both canned and dry.

Until more members come along and offer their input, maybe you want to read the articles below for some additional information.

For Pet's Urinary Health, Water is the Best Preventive and Cure | petMD

Which Food Is Best for Preventing Urinary Problems in My Cat?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats would ideally be on all wetfood. But especially so for any cats with urinary issues. I would also add in extra water to their food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do add in extra water. But not enough. I think stress might have played a factor? He was not liking to the chasing by one of the younger cats :(
My question though is what causes the crystals to shrink? What does the urinary so food have or do?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure but she should eat the urinary food until the crystals disappear.

Also my boy had urinary issues when he was partially on dry. And I added extra water for his wet portion too. He didn't have crystals and urinalysis came out fine but he was having frequent urination, or at least attempted. But once I stopped with the dry his issue completely disappeared. So the little bit of partial dry can still cause issues.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
According to everything I've read, urinary care foods have a reduced amount of phosphorus and magnesium, which both contribute to the formation of crystals. The level of acid in the urine is decreased which therefore increases the ratio of alkaline which is what helps to actually dissolve the crystals.

But, there is no where you will find that increased water intake is not essential to this process, and so obviously canned food provides more water than dry ever will. Most of the web sites of the companies who sell urinary care food stress that increased water intake is a definite key to reducing/eliminating crystals.

That is simply because the added water causes more thorough flushing of the urinary tract, and whatever crystals that are being produced are flushed out rather than being allowed to propagate in an acidic environment. Less crystal formation means less likelihood of infection and blockage.

To me: more water = less acid = more alkaline = less crystals. Adding the urinary care food just helps speed up the process be cause it removes crystal producing phosphorus and magnesium, while reducing acid and allowing more alkaline in the urine to help dissolve the crystals.

And, yes stress can contribute to crystal formation. A much more complicated concept, but generally speaking, stress lowers a body's ability to properly function - up to an including how the urinary tract operates. Stress can cause all kinds of hormonal and chemical imbalances in the system, so I simplify it in my mind by assuming acid levels are increased in times of stress.

Sorry, I gave it my best to try to explain it, hope at least some of it makes sense!!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got the results back from the culture. No growth. So just need to work in getting rid of the crystals now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good! No growth? Did you ask the vet about the mechanisms of urinary care food, in case the information you were given above didn't help? Keep talking to us!!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No. The lab results were mailed from the lab and just got them.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just caught Alli licking himself again. :( he has been on the purina one urinary health dry food twice a day and canned food twice a day. I really can't afford $62 for prescription food or put him in all wet diet. :( is the prescription food any better then purina one?
I think it might be stressed related. Dont know how to avoid that. Already rehomed 2 cats. But the others sometimes chase him etc. Its been almost a month on the new purina. Before that was all wet until I could get purina

Ok just looked. It was the night of March 5 that he started the purina

Last edited: