Alleycat Food?

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to ask if there have been any reviews of the dry cat food called "AlleyCat". Someone gave me some but I haven't heard anything about it. Does anyone here know anything?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never heard of it before.

Here's the ingredients list

Ground Yellow Corn, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Ocean Fish Meal, Tuna Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Phosphoric Acid, Animal Digest, Choline Chloride, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate (Source of Iron), Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Red 40, Rosemary Extract

Here's the ingredients for the Friskies Surfin & Turfin

Ingredient
Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Meat and Bone Meal, Ocean Fish Meal, Animal Liver Flavor, Phosphoric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Added Color, Choline Chloride, Salmon Meal, Crab Meal, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Red 40, Ferrous Sulfate, DL-Methionine, Yellow 5, Manganese Sulfate, Blue 2, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite. G-6001.

I think if you are going to feed it to the colony, mix it with the food they already eat. Mostly Friskies with some of the Alley Cat mixed in.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of it and it is comparable to Meow Mix and Kit&Kaboodle. It meets the basic nutritional standards and definitely beats starvation!! However,with the corn based foods, I have seen more rough coats and blood-streaked stools. When I receive a donation of those, I blend it with a higher quality food as much as I am able. I feed my ferals Purina Cat Chow Naturals and my colony ranges from 4 years to 15+ and have stayed healthy - some are FIV+ and most survived various diseases as kittens. My last medical loss was this year for neurological problems in a blind, hydrocephalic cat; 2 years before that, a trap-savvy queen had numerous litters before getting spayed & she got breat cancer.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alley Cat and Kit 'n' Kaboodle are the lowest-quality brand name cat foods. Yes, they're definitely better than starving, or eating out of a dumpster, but if you can afford something better, do it.

Purina Cat Chow is the lowest I prefer to go. If I happen to get a bag of something lower-quality, I mix it with better stuff.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's essentially bottom of the barrel, one step above actual garbage, but as others have pointed out at least it's better than starving to death.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, everyone. Since I have never fed anything but Friskies, I didn't know what to think. I am particularly worried that its own label says it doesn't recommend the food for kittens!. I just hated to throw it out, but I like the suggestion of blending it with other food (better than starving). I think I will just use a very little bit of it mixed into the Friskies every once in a while. I certainly don't want any of my group to get any tummy troubles now. Thanks for your comments and advice.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Kat,
Thanks so much for your reply. Two bags of this arrived on my doorstep last night. I didn't know what to think. I even worried that it could be some kind of food laced with something that might harm the cats!! Since two of the neighbors are so hateful about the cats (all of a sudden) it seemed possible they might think it easier to just poison the whole group. So, I will use it very cautiously and mixed thoroughly with the Friskies.

I sent you a message in the SOS forum yesterday about the food you sent. What a wonderful gift, thank you so very much.....

I have never heard of it before.

Here's the ingredients list

Ground Yellow Corn, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Ocean Fish Meal, Tuna Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Phosphoric Acid, Animal Digest, Choline Chloride, Salt, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate (Source of Iron), Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Red 40, Rosemary Extract

Here's the ingredients for the Friskies Surfin & Turfin

Ingredient
Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow Preserved with Mixed-Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Meat and Bone Meal, Ocean Fish Meal, Animal Liver Flavor, Phosphoric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Added Color, Choline Chloride, Salmon Meal, Crab Meal, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Red 40, Ferrous Sulfate, DL-Methionine, Yellow 5, Manganese Sulfate, Blue 2, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite. G-6001.

I think if you are going to feed it to the colony, mix it with the food they already eat. Mostly Friskies with some of the Alley Cat mixed in.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kat,
Thanks so much for your reply. Two bags of this arrived on my doorstep last night. I didn't know what to think. I even worried that it could be some kind of food laced with something that might harm the cats!! Since two of the neighbors are so hateful about the cats (all of a sudden) it seemed possible they might think it easier to just poison the whole group. So, I will use it very cautiously and mixed thoroughly with the Friskies.

I sent you a message in the SOS forum yesterday about the food you sent. What a wonderful gift, thank you so very much.....
Honestly? If you're worried and have any reason at all to suspect that may be the case, throw it out. You are not losing much and a small amount of poison could still be deadly, and certainly wouldn't be healthy. It's not worth the risk.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it appears to still be factory sealed, I'm sure it's fine :). You can donate it to the local shelter if you don't want to use it yourself. It was probably someone who wanted to help you and the kitties out anonymously, especially because you have a crowdfunding campaign going (yes, even local people can find your internet stuff).

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly? If you're worried and have any reason at all to suspect that may be the case, throw it out. You are not losing much and a small amount of poison could still be deadly, and certainly wouldn't be healthy. It's not worth the risk.
Well, thank heaven the neighbor who left the food came by tonight walking her dog and said she had left it for me. Whew! that makes me feel better. Still glad I asked about the food since I had never heard of it, or seen it in any store. But there was still a tiny voice that was telling me to be careful so I was still thinking about donating it to the local shelter. I may still do that. Thanks, everyone!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, they sell Alley Cat at Walmart, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. But I'm glad the mystery is solved! And at least you know you have at least one neighbor on your side.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thumbsup: What a nice neighbor - how encouraging to have her support at a time as this. If you need to donate the food, you can ask or look online with homeless services and food banks to see who keeps a pet pantry - a lot of low income people feed Alley Cat and Kit&Kaboodle.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Dry Catfood at Costco is pretty cheap and the ingredients are Chicken and Rice, huge bag for 20$
I mix other food in with it, just starting to mix the Purina Pro Urinary food
with it, seems to be close to the price of the Costco food through Chewy, thought it might help a little since they don't get canned food.
I have 5 Ferals on my street, one has gone missing tho! boo!