Allergy to ... goat milk?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy is currently eating Vital Essentials, either rabbit or turkey. I've noticed that he now has bald spots on both hind legs. There's one on the back of each hind leg and a new one on the side of his left back foot. The vet has the pictures of the bald spots. Since Leroy isn't bothering the spots at all, we're not doing any kind of treatment. I wonder if it's the goat milk in Vital Essentials that is causing the bald spots? :confused2: There isn't anything else in the food besides the meat and organs and herring oil and a vitamin supplement. Leroy has a history of getting bald spots from ingredients in food and pet toothpaste.

Should I try a different brand of raw? Primal is out for the main meals because that causes horribly stinky poop :barfgreen: Leroy will eat those NV Raw Bites but I'd be buying several bags every other week or so for two cats. The pet store has Tiki Cat but how do you defrost the large tub enough to portion out the food? I want to try Tucker's but have yet to find a local pet stores that sells it. The store locator indicates a few local stores do but only the raw bones for dogs.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmmm. I used to feed RadCat, and it came in pretty large tubs which I needed to break down into smaller containers. This, of course, was years ago so I can't exactly remember how I did it, but seems like I would have slid :wink: it all out of the container (frozen) and sliced it up with a very sharp knife and a LOT of muscle, then put those slices in separate containers for future feedings. If any of the juices started to thaw I would pour that into my containers as well. Not too scientific, but it had to do. Then at feeding time I would weigh out the food for the correct portions. You can slice very thin slices and put several in one container. I used smaller ziploc bags a lot of the time, depending of which food it was. (Thinking you could do this with the Tiki Raw, since it's in a tub)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So because I haven't found any VE frozen rabbit in weeks, Leroy had to eat other brands which gave him IBD flare ups :doh: But the bald spot on the front of his back left leg has improved and is barely noticeable now. Leroy has been eating the VE freeze dried rabbit all week now. A little PITA to prepare but the things we do for our pets :crazy: The freeze dried rabbit doesn't contain goat milk like the frozen rabbit does. So I'm guessing he does has some allergy / reaction to goat milk :dunno: