Allergy, Sneezing And Reverse Sneezing

gm_thomson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, My cat has been doing a reverse sneeze thing now, for months. But only once a day and only in the evening?!. She has a clear runny nose every so often - maybe once a week. Any idea why?

History: When we got her from a rescue a 4 years ago she was doing the same thing, but much more often and the vet gave her antibiotics an it went away (he tested her for FELV etc etc and also ruled out asthma), said she may have a virus that could recur. For the last few years she would do this reverse sneeze and have a runny nose for a few days and then nothing for months. But we moved house March and then in April she had bad runny nose (white yellow color) and reverse sneezed a few times a day... We put it down to stress. It got a bit better but now has settled to this once a day reverse sneeze where she also seems a little congested, then it passes.

? Why? And why only once a day In the evening?

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't say for sure why but my cats sneezing cleared up using Baytril after having the problem for years ( not sure why they didn't try it sooner, it's a common antibiotic to use for respiratory problems.)
It comes back now and then to some degree but the Baytril worked a treat. Prior to that he had a very long coarse of calavamox which only worked while he was on it and years worth of exams and test to try different approaches.

For the most part it was happening to my cat when he was sleeping so that could be why you are seeing it once in the evening.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, My cat has been doing a reverse sneeze thing now, for months. But only once a day and only in the evening?!. She has a clear runny nose every so often - maybe once a week. Any idea why?

History: When we got her from a rescue a 4 years ago she was doing the same thing, but much more often and the vet gave her antibiotics an it went away (he tested her for FELV etc etc and also ruled out asthma), said she may have a virus that could recur. For the last few years she would do this reverse sneeze and have a runny nose for a few days and then nothing for months. But we moved house March and then in April she had bad runny nose (white yellow color) and reverse sneezed a few times a day... We put it down to stress. It got a bit better but now has settled to this once a day reverse sneeze where she also seems a little congested, then it passes.

? Why? And why only once a day In the evening?
Would another vet visit be helpful? Some cats do have chronic URIs and nothing gets rid of them.

Pepper&Pillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems that we very much have the same situation. It is frustrating to not to know the reason, but good to know you are not alone :)
It is very strange that both of us have one allergic and one asthmatic cat. Yes, i think what triggers allergy also causes discomfort in our asthmatic cat, and there may be some relation.

We are off Zyrtec since two days with the advise of our vet. Today we had a conversation with him. I took a new video and sent him. He said what we call "something like little cough" is actually an allergic reaction and generally happens at night one or two times a day. He was right, that is exactly what she is doing and always happens at night. Our vet says we should find the cause there is nothing can be done. He knows how hard we try to find the cause and really tries to help. But i guess it is all he can do.

Like your situation our cats' symptoms also started in spring. We will see if there will be any change in winter.

Today suddenly i suspected catnip toys. This is something i didn't try before. I put away their toys with catnip we will see if it works...

I will continue searching the cause. I will post all the updates.
Hi. I'm new to this site and as you have mentioned it's really good to know you're not alone. How are your cats nowadays? Have you truly resolved the sneezing, allergy problems? Any medications or specific causes you've found?

We're currently having the same problem with our 2 cats. Our first cat named Pepper (male, fixed, born July 2020) we got last Oct 2020 and was perfectly healthy until we got our second kitten this May 21 named Pillow (Female, unspayed, born Jan 2021). She started sneezing, nasal discharge, wheezing after her first set of vaccines, and has been on and off the vet till now. We've been to two vet clinics and got almost every test/procedure possible to determine the cause of the problem. She's been treated with diff types of anti-biotics, anti allergies, antifungals, and is now currently on prednisolone (two weeks) but with little to no improvement at all.

Now another problem was when our older cat Pepper, started the same symptoms last week. He would have two to three episodes of reverse sneezing, wheezing a day. We cannot afford to have him the same tests/procedures that Pillow has gone through as it cost us a lot of money. I can feel that even the vets are confused and frustrated with our case. Any tips or recommendations will be a big help.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm new to this site and as you have mentioned it's really good to know you're not alone. How are your cats nowadays? Have you truly resolved the sneezing, allergy problems? Any medications or specific causes you've found?

We're currently having the same problem with our 2 cats. Our first cat named Pepper (male, fixed, born July 2020) we got last Oct 2020 and was perfectly healthy until we got our second kitten this May 21 named Pillow (Female, unspayed, born Jan 2021). She started sneezing, nasal discharge, wheezing after her first set of vaccines, and has been on and off the vet till now. We've been to two vet clinics and got almost every test/procedure possible to determine the cause of the problem. She's been treated with diff types of anti-biotics, anti allergies, antifungals, and is now currently on prednisolone (two weeks) but with little to no improvement at all.

Now another problem was when our older cat Pepper, started the same symptoms last week. He would have two to three episodes of reverse sneezing, wheezing a day. We cannot afford to have him the same tests/procedures that Pillow has gone through as it cost us a lot of money. I can feel that even the vets are confused and frustrated with our case. Any tips or recommendations will be a big help.
Hello P Pepper&Pillow and welcome to TCS! Unfortunately, I do not have any recommendations other than what you are doing, but I do need to relate my beloved Sun's story. He was adopted as a very small kitten, from the streets. He got his kitten checkups and innoculations and was a bouncy, healthy kitten. He grew and thrived. Then I bought some catnip toys at a cat show. Shortly thereafter he started having mysterious symptoms -- breathing issues. The vet withdrew fluid from his lungs! and diagnosed him with asthma. This was a long time ago so I don't remember his course of treatment, but I did have to wonder if the toys were the cause. Of course I never found out, and eventually, though there was no proven test result at the time, he was diagnosed with dry-form FIP. For this, he received Immunoregulin injections and B-12 for his appetite, as well as steroids. He lived almost 16 years and was healthy-seeming up until the last. Of course I pray Pepper and Pillow don't have these ailments! but I wanted to share the information with you and nese nese . Also, we lost a very young kitten we had adopted from a neighbor who found her on the streets to wet-form FIP at less than 3 months of age. She had been healthy and lively until we got her innoculations and checkup. Very shortly thereafter, she developed what I believe to have been wet-form FIP and she passed away the night before the morning of what would have been her appointment. I had gotten the intranasal FIP vax (Felocell) for her because after losing my beloved Sun, I felt it was my responsibility to protect her. Instead, I believe the vax was the cause of her contracting the disease. It was very controversial and though it is still offered, I would NOT recommend it.

Pepper&Pillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello P Pepper&Pillow and welcome to TCS! Unfortunately, I do not have any recommendations other than what you are doing, but I do need to relate my beloved Sun's story. He was adopted as a very small kitten, from the streets. He got his kitten checkups and innoculations and was a bouncy, healthy kitten. He grew and thrived. Then I bought some catnip toys at a cat show. Shortly thereafter he started having mysterious symptoms -- breathing issues. The vet withdrew fluid from his lungs! and diagnosed him with asthma. This was a long time ago so I don't remember his course of treatment, but I did have to wonder if the toys were the cause. Of course I never found out, and eventually, though there was no proven test result at the time, he was diagnosed with dry-form FIP. For this, he received Immunoregulin injections and B-12 for his appetite, as well as steroids. He lived almost 16 years and was healthy-seeming up until the last. Of course I pray Pepper and Pillow don't have these ailments! but I wanted to share the information with you and nese nese . Also, we lost a very young kitten we had adopted from a neighbor who found her on the streets to wet-form FIP at less than 3 months of age. She had been healthy and lively until we got her innoculations and checkup. Very shortly thereafter, she developed what I believe to have been wet-form FIP and she passed away the night before the morning of what would have been her appointment. I had gotten the intranasal FIP vax (Felocell) for her because after losing my beloved Sun, I felt it was my responsibility to protect her. Instead, I believe the vax was the cause of her contracting the disease. It was very controversial and though it is still offered, I would NOT recommend it.
Hi tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 . Thanks for the insights on FIP and praying this won't be the case for my cats. So sorry also for your babies.
For now, I'm gonna continue with Prednisolone and try to remove any possible allergens. Our main suspect is the sand litter that was actually new (different from the other brand were using before) we bought when we got Pillow last May.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 . Thanks for the insights on FIP and praying this won't be the case for my cats. So sorry also for your babies.
For now, I'm gonna continue with Prednisolone and try to remove any possible allergens. Our main suspect is the sand litter that was actually new (different from the other brand were using before) we bought when we got Pillow last May.
*Prayers* for them from here, also, and may the cause be found and eliminated, as they improve and thrive!!!