Allergy Forum

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is all about allergies, skin issues; what commonalities we all have (we meaning, cats with skin issues).

Where do you live? Rural or city? What liter do you use?
What kind d of toys/scratchers do you use for cats? Do you use wet or dry food? Or both? How often has your cat received vaccines? I could go on but this is what I would love to start, I just don't know how and I also have to prepare for my poor Cream's now 7th vet visit in 2 years. But if anyone can help me start an allergy/skin conditions segment. I'd LOVE to do that. The. We can at least compare situations.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really like this idea.

Hekitty has flea allergies, which is pretty common, I just make sure she gets her drops ON TIME, and an allergy to concrete. THAT makes her lose her fur and develop open sores after an exposure of any length. I just keep her off of it, which really is an issue, because I'd LOVE to get her a harness and get her outside. Not, however, until I can afford and outdoor carpet for the porch!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really like this idea.

Hekitty has flea allergies, which is pretty common, I just make sure she gets her drops ON TIME, and an allergy to concrete. THAT makes her lose her fur and develop open sores after an exposure of any length. I just keep her off of it, which really is an issue, because I'd LOVE to get her a harness and get her outside. Not, however, until I can afford and outdoor carpet for the porch!
Thanks! So your kitty is outdoors or in? I would swear it was fleas but with 4 cats. I'd be eaten up by fleas by now since this started almost 2 years ago. 3 are in only, the 4th has to live in the basement n he goes in the fenced in backyard. He gets revolution monthly n I brush him daily, the only reason they aren't all together is bc my oldest Minnie is really mean n they would fight. Otherwise they'd all be indoors. What flea meds do u use? N How did u find out your kitty was allergic to concrete?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I suggest members copy and paste the questions you ask and fill in the answers:

Where do you live? (Rural/City)
Answer here

What kind of litter do you use
Answer here

What kind of toys/scratchers do you use for cats?
Answer here

Do you use wet or dry food? Or both?
Answer here

How often has your cat received vaccines?
Answer here

Other points relating to allergies? (eg, what works, what doesn't etc)

Answer here

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Great idea for a thread! I'll answer for my 5 year old female cat, Freya. She was feral born and lived outside for the first year of her life.

Where do you live? (Rural/City)

Very rural area that has extremely cold winters and hot humid summers.

Pine chip. But Freya usually goes outside in the enclosure.

They have wooden and carpet cat trees. rubber scratching mats and lots of trees to climb outside.

Both. They get Sheba canned and dry, Inaba canned, Fancy Feast canned, Whiskers wet food pouches and Japanese brands of dry food.

Twice. Once when she was TNR'd and then once again about 2 years ago when we moved the whole colony to our new place.

Other points relating to allergies?
She only suffers from allergies late summer/early autumn. She scratches herself raw around her neck and bites at the base of her tail. Our vet thought it might be a mite allergy. She is regularly treated for fleas and mites with Frontline. She had a course of steroids last year. We regularly wash all the cat bedding and I use a herbal mite deterrent spray on the soft furnishings.

None of our other cats have allergies. Freya's 2 litter mates live with us and they never scratch themselves the way she does.

None of the treatments we've tried have made a huge amount of difference. As soon as the weather gets really cold her itching stops on it's own.

mystymaine12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat started to have a snorty nose like clogged nose, then he has this lil cough like trying to bring something up. Not this has been going on for several months, no fever, eats good stinks etc, but think his nose drips on occasion he used to stay under the bed for a part of the day them cane out, now stays in his cat tree. This can't be a URI as I gave another cat and he us fine. They do not go out ever. Going to vet next Friday, but wondered if this sounds le an allergiie???

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks! So your kitty is outdoors or in? I would swear it was fleas but with 4 cats. I'd be eaten up by fleas by now since this started almost 2 years ago. 3 are in only, the 4th has to live in the basement n he goes in the fenced in backyard. He gets revolution monthly n I brush him daily, the only reason they aren't all together is bc my oldest Minnie is really mean n they would fight. Otherwise they'd all be indoors. What flea meds do u use? N How did u find out your kitty was allergic to concrete?
Hekitty is indoor, but she can pick them up on occasion, anyway. They are little hitchhikers, coming in on socks and pant cuffs from outside. I use Comfortis when I can afford it, and when it is just beyond me, I use Advantage II. As for the concrete allergy, the first year I had Hekitty, I lived in an unfinished garage. It was a rough year, and I was lucky to have that. She lost all of her fur, and had weeping sores. My wonderful vet found out our living situation, said, "I wonder if...," tested her, and that was it! It was the first thing he checked for, not wanting to test unnecessarily. He had a good idea of my budget. I invested in cheap area rugs from Walmart and The Dollar Store, covered all the floor, and she was sporting a fine fur coat in weeks.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I live kinda in a city. Very snowy winter.

Unscented clay for one cat. Scented for the other

Where do I start? All kinds of cardboard scratchers in every shape and size, three different towers, chew toys, feather toys, food toys

Both

Once but she is due for boosters

Other points relating to allergies? (eg, what works, what doesn't etc)

Scented litters bothers her eyes as well as cetain "pet odor" eliminators, air fresheners, plug ins. But other things not labeled for "pet odor" doesnt seem to bother her. I can use fabreeze and bath and body works plug ins. But certain brands labeled for pets and things in the litter will make her eyes red and watery.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat started to have a snorty nose like clogged nose, then he has this lil cough like trying to bring something up. Not this has been going on for several months, no fever, eats good stinks etc, but think his nose drips on occasion he used to stay under the bed for a part of the day them cane out, now stays in his cat tree. This can't be a URI as I gave another cat and he us fine. They do not go out ever. Going to vet next Friday, but wondered if this sounds le an allergiie???
We exactly have the same issues. Went to three different vets all said it is allergy. 3 days ago bloodwork was also done and showed no sign of infection. Vet said it is allergy for sure according to blood work results.
Now we are using antihistamines which really help with runny and clogged nose and sneezing. Ours are doing something like cough or trying to bring something out. But nothing comes out. Our vet says it is because of mucus in their breathing passages due to the allergy.
We have these issues for 5-6 months. They are eating and drinking well, energetic. There is no sign of illness. And since anthistamines help, I am convinced that it is allergy and now trying to find what is the cause.
Till now I changed litter several times without any success.
I moved away all the carpets in the house, and kept the floor dust free. Helped a little at first, but not much.
I washed all the cat beddings, pillows, blankets, curtains, anything that can be washed. Not helped.
We limited the use of house cleaners and tried to clean our house without using chemicals, not helped.

Now I am trying to isolate them from rooms one by one. By this way, hopefully, if the allergen is something in one room I can find in which room it is. But of course if it is something that is all over the house this method will not work, we will see. I started with balcony today since it is the place they spend most of their time, and will keep them isolated from the balcony (and houseplants in balcony) for 3 weeks.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did anyone try steam vacuum cleaners? I think they may be very helpful to kill mites and to deep clean floors, beds, pillows, sofas etc. without using any detergents.
OMG, I feel like a cleaning freak! :shocked:

Asderion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did anyone try steam vacuum cleaners? I think they may be very helpful to kill mites and to deep clean floors, beds, pillows, sofas etc. without using any detergents.
OMG, I feel like a cleaning freak! :shocked:
I'm not sure about the steam, I do not really believe that vacuum cleaners can help with allergies if you have cats at home. My sister has an allergy and when we close the cats in the farthest room, after carefully removing and vacuuming the entire apartment, she still begins to sneeze and does not feel very well. I haven't even heard about "steam" vacuum cleaners.

Last edited by a moderator: