Allergy alternative

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year all! So I ended up doing an a blood allergy test for my cat and they found a few minor allergies and I talked with the vet and we decided on immuno allergy drops which is twice a day directly into his mouth for the rest of his life.

Now his allergies aren't severe and you can imagine giving your cat drops twice a day for the rest of his or her life...and I just don't see myself doing that to my poor baby.. especially since he hates it and 60% success rate and again allergies aren't that bad.

So what I am wondering if anyone has any real examples of an alternative of OTC allergy medicine and or prescription allergy medicine that works?

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buck has some major allergies and didn't respond to any over the counter. The only thing that has worked for him is homeopathic remedies. I had the idea that homeopathic and 'natural' wouldn't really work because I studied biochemistry in college and was kind of a major skeptic. But I got some homeopathic drops from a friend and decided to try it. Works wonders. Just order a homeopathic allergy kit, the ones for people. (Cheaper.) Theres often like 10-20 different types. Add to soft food (drops of crush pellets.) I've found it to work very well. Theres also been NIH studies that have found some homeopathic remedies work very well for people so its assumed they would for pets too. Histanium works well for Buck. I've given some of the over the counter allergy medicines to Buck as suggested by a vet. They all sedate him, including the non drowsy formulas. Just my experience, every cat is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah really said that is worst case scenario and also says in the instructions not to give in food and or he's not supposed to eat for 10 minutes after administration in mouth...

bpenniman bpenniman thank you! do you have a website? Also link to the study?

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah really said that is worst case scenario and also says in the instructions not to give in food and or he's not supposed to eat for 10 minutes after administration in mouth...

bpenniman bpenniman thank you! do you have a website? Also link to the study?
Galphimia glauca was the remedy most studied in this study. Immunology and Homeopathy. 4. Clinical Studies—Part 2 --I also have terrible allergies and asthma myself and am on the highest dosages of asthma meds so turning to alternative was a must for me. It doesn't always work but worth a try.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has really bad seasonal allergies, especially this past season, and I suspect it's basically triggered her allergies to be year round. Has anyone tried CBD oil for allergies, on the idea that they reduce inflammation over all? I'd be interesting in trying that, since she has arthritis that might be helped by CBD also. I just don't know if anyone's had experiences of it working for their pets, and I'd rather not start her on anything that won't work (she's been ill recently).

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
When you say immuno allergy drops, are those immunotherapy drops? Is he having trouble taking the drops by mouth? I would recommend asking your vet if there are alternative methods of administration, such as an injection or pill, to see if that may work better. This article: Immunotherapy for Allergies in Dogs and Cats - Veterinary Partner - VIN says that immunotherapy allergy shots “injections start twice a week and eventually can be given every two weeks.”

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd be interesting in trying that, since she has arthritis that might be helped by CBD also.
I use CBD for Lily, my 15-year-old very arthritic cat. I buy it at my local independent pet supply store here in Oregon, but it’s by a company in Colorado called Pet Releaf.

I started Lily on Cosequin (a supplement for joint health) once a day and when that wasn’t enough, I upped it to twice a day. It helped, but she was still limping noticeably. So I decided to try CBD and went with Pet Releaf because I trust the staff in this store.

I’ve noticed that anything I give Lily takes a few weeks to work (unlike with my other two kitties), so I stuck with it for awhile. So does it work? Well, Lily stopped limping completely. That’s my only proof that it worked for her, but it seems pretty compelling. I’ve been giving it to her since last winter.

I started her initially on the CBD Hemp Oil 330 “for cats” (second link, below). The staff person at the store pointed out, though, that the CBD Hemp Oil 700 “for dogs” (first link) was exactly the same product...for less money. I just give 1/4 dropper twice a day instead of 1/2 a dropper twice a day. (It’s not the first time I’ve found a company packaging the same product differently for cats and charging more. In fact, the small print on the actual bottle has the dosage for both dogs and cats!)

CBD Hemp Oil 700 for Sale - 200 mg Active CBD - Pet Products
CBD Hemp Oil 330 for Sale - 100MG Active CBD Oil - Pet Releaf

Lily hates the taste so I have to slip it into her food even though it would be better, according to the company, to give it on an empty stomach for better absorption. (She freaked out when I squirted it in her mouth, but she’s also that kind of cat.) Still, I’ve seen a noticeable improvement. I save out a tiny portion of her morning and evening meals and wait about two hours. Then I mix the drops in and she gobbles it down.

She’s also allergic to something (not food) and she seems to be scratching less, but I don’t know if that’s because the CBD helped or because we moved to a less dusty place in October. I doubt if the CBD had anything to do with it.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give my boy holistapet 150mg but he still be scratching and licking and licking and puking hairballs and licking lol

I think I wil try the 300mg I dunno

hes Indoor so ai think he gets anxiety from who knows what, he has a huge catio and outdoor tents

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of allergy? Would it be at all possible to remove/reduce whatever triggers his allergy from his environment?
I agree 100% :)

You can give your cat a plethora of medications and preparations to combat his allergies but they will only treat the symptoms. If you really want to help your cat's allergies, you need to know what he's allergic to and do what you can to keep those substances away from your cat.

No matter what mendicants or concoctions you use, no matter how well they work or don't work, your cat will still have allergies. Even if your tonics and tinctures do what you want them to do the problem will only be masked.

Put forth your best effort to reduce, remove or eliminate allergens from your cat's environment. Then, when you have done that, you can bring on the remedies and potions.

Even if you can't get rid of all allergens and irritants, you'll end up spending less money on drugs for your cat.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use CBD for Lily, my 15-year-old very arthritic cat. I buy it at my local independent pet supply store here in Oregon, but it’s by a company in Colorado called Pet Releaf.

I started Lily on Cosequin (a supplement for joint health) once a day and when that wasn’t enough, I upped it to twice a day. It helped, but she was still limping noticeably. So I decided to try CBD and went with Pet Releaf because I trust the staff in this store.

I’ve noticed that anything I give Lily takes a few weeks to work (unlike with my other two kitties), so I stuck with it for awhile. So does it work? Well, Lily stopped limping completely. That’s my only proof that it worked for her, but it seems pretty compelling. I’ve been giving it to her since last winter.

I started her initially on the CBD Hemp Oil 330 “for cats” (second link, below). The staff person at the store pointed out, though, that the CBD Hemp Oil 700 “for dogs” (first link) was exactly the same product...for less money. I just give 1/4 dropper twice a day instead of 1/2 a dropper twice a day. (It’s not the first time I’ve found a company packaging the same product differently for cats and charging more. In fact, the small print on the actual bottle has the dosage for both dogs and cats!)

CBD Hemp Oil 700 for Sale - 200 mg Active CBD - Pet Products
CBD Hemp Oil 330 for Sale - 100MG Active CBD Oil - Pet Releaf

Lily hates the taste so I have to slip it into her food even though it would be better, according to the company, to give it on an empty stomach for better absorption. (She freaked out when I squirted it in her mouth, but she’s also that kind of cat.) Still, I’ve seen a noticeable improvement. I save out a tiny portion of her morning and evening meals and wait about two hours. Then I mix the drops in and she gobbles it down.

She’s also allergic to something (not food) and she seems to be scratching less, but I don’t know if that’s because the CBD helped or because we moved to a less dusty place in October. I doubt if the CBD had anything to do with it.
I bought that same oil! I am waiting until my cat is more fully back to normal before trying it. She is also on gabapentin and chlorpheniramine right now, and the vets in my state can't legally talk about CBD dosage or anything, especially in combo with the other drugs. I might start her off with just one drop twice daily to see how she reacts. I would love for her arthritis to be less painful than currently is. Those allergies are the most annoying for her day to day, though.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi abyeb abyeb I won't subject him to the injections, his allergies aren't that bad like such as I seen in the pictures.. Caspers Human Caspers Human I do know what he is allergic too which is some mold and humans :-(

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet suggested 5 mg of Zyrtec so I am going to give that a try

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet suggested 5 mg of Zyrtec so I am going to give that a try
Zyrtec didn't do anything for my cat, unfortunately. Try Chlortrimeton (Chloe-tabs at Walmart). An adult cat can safely have 2 4mg tablets a day, even 3. They do work for my cat, but it is very bitter and she stopped letting me pill her, even with pill pockets and butter. I have to get a compounded liquid that she also hates (can't mask the bitterness totally) but will take. It makes the kitties sleepy though. I am trying to find a different or complementary allergy solution that means I don't have to give her the nasty tasting medicine several times a day.

I also have air purifiers and use the heavy duty furnace filters to try to catch the pollen and environmental stuff as much as possible. Hope you find something for your cat!

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zyrtec didn't do anything for my cat, unfortunately. Try Chlortrimeton (Chloe-tabs at Walmart). An adult cat can safely have 2 4mg tablets a day, even 3. They do work for my cat, but it is very bitter and she stopped letting me pill her, even with pill pockets and butter. I have to get a compounded liquid that she also hates (can't mask the bitterness totally) but will take. It makes the kitties sleepy though. I am trying to find a different or complementary allergy solution that means I don't have to give her the nasty tasting medicine several times a day.

I also have air purifiers and use the heavy duty furnace filters to try to catch the pollen and environmental stuff as much as possible. Hope you find something for your cat!
Chlor-Tabs, I mean. Super cheap for a bottle.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi abyeb abyeb I won't subject him to the injections, his allergies aren't that bad like such as I seen in the pictures.. Caspers Human Caspers Human I do know what he is allergic too which is some mold and humans :-(
Mold is probably the toughest thing to combat.

I had mold problems in a house I used to live in. We had to practically clean out the entire house, down to the baseboards. Sometimes, BEHIND the baseboards, even!

If you have a central air system, you can keep the filters clean by changing them often.

If you have a basement, keep it clean, also. Basements are notorious for growing mold.

The best way to clean mold, in my experience, is with hot water and Clorox bleach.
Wash and scrub hard surfaces as well as you can until they are as clean as you can get. Next, mix some "20 Mule Team" borax in hot water and apply it with a sponge or with a garden sprayer. Do not wipe it off. Let the borax solution dry. It might leave a white powder behind. You can wipe off some of the white powdery residue of you need to but just let the dried borax stay there. Mold can not grow in the presence of borax.

I did this in my current basement and have not seen any mold growth in the house, ever since.

I don't know how you can apply this technique in your house but I know, from experience, that it is effective if you are willing to do the work. I've lived here for five years and have little to no problems with mold, at all.

If you go to Home Depot (or other store) you can get a mold test kit which you leave out in your house for a period of time. Then you send it in to the company to have analyzed. If there is any harmful mold growing in your house, the test will help you decide on the next steps.

I did this in my old house. It's one of the reasons why we had to do that clean-out.

Anyhow, no matter what your situation, it's worthwhile to do what you can to get rid of mold.

It will help your cat's health AND yours! :)

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy New Year all! So I ended up doing an a blood allergy test for my cat and they found a few minor allergies and I talked with the vet and we decided on immuno allergy drops which is twice a day directly into his mouth for the rest of his life.

Now his allergies aren't severe and you can imagine giving your cat drops twice a day for the rest of his or her life...and I just don't see myself doing that to my poor baby.. especially since he hates it and 60% success rate and again allergies aren't that bad.

So what I am wondering if anyone has any real examples of an alternative of OTC allergy medicine and or prescription allergy medicine that works?
Hi did you have success with this treatment? I’m having allergy issues with my girl but we haven’t done the blood allergy test yet.