Allergies? Herpes??

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, y'all.

I posted a week or so back about Mrowmrow looking a little thin, and you all assuaged my concerns. I'm back, with more concerns. As an FYI, he does visit the vet tomorrow afternoon, but I am terrified of veterinary incompetence, so I wanted to post here as well. Group experience can be just as beneficial as vet advice, I've found.

Mrowmrow is going to be 9 this August/September. The biggest, chronic issue I have is an apparent allergy to friggin everything. There are three dry foods he had managed to keep down in the last 5 years: Nature's Variety Instinct (chicken), Orijen Six Fish, and Fussie Cat (both the salmon-only, and the chicken and turkey varieties). He does not do well with beef. Almost every other food on the market makes him vomit. The only wet food that he doesn't throw up is a single-ingredient wet food that isn't produced any more, by PureBites. It was just shredded chicken in water.

Other than the occasional UTI, he's been pretty healthy for the last few years.

A couple of months ago, I brought in Keegan, who had been dumped at the park where I worked. Keegan had his shots, was tested for FeLV, and was neutered when he came in. He's an oaf and he runs Mrowmrow ragged. Keegan also has something going on, but I have to pick and choose when the animals can go to the vet, and until I notice a difference in behavior, I usually just keep an eye on them.

So over the last few weeks, Mrowmrow's eyes have begun to weep. He gets little brown crusties in the corners. He sneezes occasionally; nothing that seems particularly out of the ordinary. But I noticed last night, while I was giving him a good face rub, that he seemed to really want me to rub his eyes, like they were very itchy. He did the same thing with his ears. His ears don't smell at all, and there's no obvious build-up that I could wipe out with a tissue.

Additionally, he has a huge sore on his chin. It's very painful when I mess with it; he yowls at me and runs away. I noticed it on Monday. I can feel other bumps under the skin on his chin. He has had cat acne in the past, but I switched to ceramic, glass, and stainless steel dishes.

His nose is clear and his breathing sounds clear. Could this be allergies? Could it be feline herpes?

Are there specific tests you recommend me asking for tomorrow? I'm going to ask for a complete blood workup, and possibly a urinalysis.

IMG_2043.JPG

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are certainly on the right track with a vet visit. A discussion here doesn't hurt, but it is opinion, not vet advice. I will say that herpes is very treatable. If your vet diagnoses your cat with that, he will give you some good information for treatment. The sore under the chin is a primary concern. I am glad your vet will see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are certainly on the right track with a vet visit. A discussion here doesn't hurt, but it is opinion, not vet advice. I will say that herpes is very treatable. If your vet diagnoses your cat with that, he will give you some good information for treatment. The sore under the chin is a primary concern. I am glad your vet will see it.
Yes, I agree entirely-- would never skimp on a vet visit once truly concerned. I suppose I should add that I half made this post just to get some opinions. I'll definitely update it tomorrow with any vet info.

I'm an easily worried cat momma. He's my baby. I feel awful for not noticing the sore earlier; I have no idea how I missed it, as I give all the animals a once-over on a daily basis. I had felt the "cat acne" type bumps just last Saturday, but assumed it was just that- cat acne. I'm wondering if it was worse under the fur, and if he scratched in raw just over the course of half a day or so.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has eye herpes. His eyes run clear, then it turns to a brownish crust when it dries. I use Lysine treats and they work well. I don't know about the chin, when my cats have had chin problems it has usually been fleas or mites. Do you put topical flea meds on them? Do they have ear mites?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has eye herpes. His eyes run clear, then it turns to a brownish crust when it dries. I use Lysine treats and they work well. I don't know about the chin, when my cats have had chin problems it has usually been fleas or mites. Do you put topical flea meds on them? Do they have ear mites?
I don't treat anyone for fleas, but also (*knocks on wood*) there aren't any fleas in the house. Both cats are now strictly indoors (supervised walks for Mrowmrow, on a leash). Keegan was treated when he first came in. M hasn't been indoor/outdoor since he was a year old. I haven't noticed any ear mites.

His eye goop kinda sounds like that :( It's little stringy goop (not a lot) that turns dark. Ugh.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably already know this, but ear mites look kind of like coffee grinds, dark stuff in the ear canal if you can look down there with a flashlight. Unfortunately, my indoor cats still got fleas. I live out in the country and they can come in on your shoes or clothing.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The chin acne can get that big and sore very quickly. Think about how bad human acne can get because they are essentially the same thing. Check with your vet but one of the human over the counter acne medicines can be applied to cats.

The stress of a new cat may have triggered a herpes outbreak. He likely already had it dormant in his system.

I totally get the worried cat momma and posting just to make sure you are asking all the right questions. I always hate when I miss a question at the vet. I also have had the vet incompetence issue and am a strong believer that we are our cats best advocates.

Hoping all goes well at the vet, let us know. :vibes:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are many things that could cause a sore like your cat has. I wouldn't even begin to pass an opinion on that. Your vet will know if it is caused by the acne or if it is something else. I know you will feel better when you come from your vet visit.

We worry so much about our fur babies and we always imagine the worse case scenario. I hope it will turn out to be something simple and easy to treat. Sending you hugs and best wishes for a good vet visit.
Hold you baby today and give lots of hugs.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll take a peek in his ears when I get home. I'd almost rather him have mites than some random allergy...at least mites are definitive and quickly treatable.

Is there an extra test for herpes that I should ask for? I'm not at all familiar with the disease.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if there is a test for herpes. There probably is. I just knew mine had it from the symptoms and because Lysine works, but antibiotics didn't work.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update now...I'll have another one later, after the bloodwork came back.

Took M to the vet yesterday (we waited for 45 minutes; he was not pleased). I brought up the possibility of him getting a little thin, his itchy eyes/ears, the eye goopies, and the welts on his chin. He got a senior blood workup and a urinalysis, the results of which will come back today.

He weighed 8.8 pounds (BEFORE he decided to poop on the exam table; I'm assuming to let the vet tech know exactly what he thought of her pressing on his belly), which is right around where he should be/has been. The vet said he looks good and has excellent muscle mass, and she's not surprised if Keegan's incessant playfulness has caused him to lose a little bit. She checked his ears for mites and they looked clear. She didn't like the spot on his chin; she didn't conclusively say what it was, but said she can see where he's had some drainage in the area. I asked about feline herpes and she said it's possible, and said I can give him Lysine if I'd like.

He was given a shot of Covenia (second time this year...ugh) for his chin, which I'm hoping will clear up his eyes if it's a lingering URI sort of issue. She did say that his lungs and heart sound good, although he was purring very loudly.

I'll post another update when his blood and urine results come back. :geekcat:

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I wanted to add: I'm considering trying a freeze-dried diet for him, just as a test to see if he pukes it up. Anyone have any preferences? Would he benefit from having extra chicken hearts in his meals?

mystymaine12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I hope someone can give me dome snswers, one of my cats has had a Snorty nose, sounds like it's clogged does not open mouth breathing, but he has to take deep breaths I assume to nose blockage. No fever, eats great, drinks no diarrhea, but usually stays in bedroom and on top of bed. He will play a lil but he gets excited and wants to cough a lil, this has been going on fir months, although his nose got a lil more clogged, I know here in Texas allergies are here, but am baffled, oh also no runny eyes or nose.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I hope someone can give me dome snswers, one of my cats has had a Snorty nose, sounds like it's clogged does not open mouth breathing, but he has to take deep breaths I assume to nose blockage. No fever, eats great, drinks no diarrhea, but usually stays in bedroom and on top of bed. He will play a lil but he gets excited and wants to cough a lil, this has been going on fir months, although his nose got a lil more clogged, I know here in Texas allergies are here, but am baffled, oh also no runny eyes or nose.
If your cat is having any kind of upper respiratory issues, they need to see a vet. Usually allergies for cats look like itchy skin, dry fur, shedding, usually stuff with their skin and coat, and sometimes watery eyes. They dont get allergies like people do where we get a stuffy nose, and sneeze, and can't breathe. Usually for a cat thats something else like a cold, influenza, or herpes.

Though I'm no vet, so I could be entirely wrong

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello again, friends :)

The vet called back and left a message re: his bloodwork. She said he some "inflammation", and that there was some protein in his urine. She asked that he come in every 6 months for a urinalysis, because she thinks that this has to do with kidney issues he had in his past.

I'm going to create a new thread on a different board re: diet.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is there an extra test for herpes that I should ask for? I'm not at all familiar with the disease.
Yes, you can test for FHV-1, along with testing for other feline respiratory diseases.

I believe it's called a Feline URD (Upper Respiratory Disease) PCR Panel. Sometimes these tests are worth paying for so that you know what you are dealing with. Ask your vet.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Now lysine only powder. 250 mg twice a day when her eyes get bad for feline herpes.

As far as the chin. Well acne even if everything is glass and stainless steel can happen. They can get infected. They can also turn into black heads. If it gets really bad they give anesthesia, shave the chin and clean/drain all the infected acne removing all the blackheads. Then you clean their chin daily after. Someone mentioned betadine. I've heard of benxoyl peroxide used on it. Check with your vet on what is recommended. Salicylic Acid is dangerous for them.

mystymaine12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cat is having any kind of upper respiratory issues, they need to see a vet. Usually allergies for cats look like itchy skin, dry fur, shedding, usually stuff with their skin and coat, and sometimes watery eye ms. They dont get allergies like people do where we get a stuffy nose, and sneeze, and can't breathe. Usually for a cat thats something else like a cold, influenza, or herpes.

If your cat is having any kind of upper respiratory issues, they need to see a vet. Usually allergies for cats look like itchy skin, dry fur, shedding, usually stuff with their skin and coat, and sometimes watery eyes. They dont get allergies like people do where we get a stuffy nose, and sneeze, and can't breathe. Usually for a cat thats something else like a cold, influenza, or herpes.

Sorry took so long to answer, but how can they get Herpes , if that may be it. He eats good, sleeps good, dies scratch under his chin simetimes, but all I all he is normal aside from the breathing and when he relaxes he doesn't have that noise, listened to lungs didn't hear any raspy noise. Thanks for the ideas. Herpes is one I never thought of, he never goes out nor does my other cat".

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can be born with herpes or get it from sharing dishes and litter box with another cat that has it.