Allergies and fatty acid supplements

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are fatty acid supplements really helpful in allergies? My cat has seasonal allergies (confirmed when a steroid injection given for something else revealed her overgroomed fur grew back). Has anyone tried fatty acid supplements alone or in combination with steroid injections for seasonal allergies? I worry about her being on injections so long.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My own girl takes Claritin during allergy season, and that works very well for her. I did find this article for you, since I can't offer any direct, first-hand information.

https://www.vetinfo.com/treating-allergies-cats-omega-3.html

DO check with your vet before using anything, just to make sure that there are no known interaction issues!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My own girl takes Claritin during allergy season, and that works very well for her. I did find this article for you, since I can't offer any direct, first-hand information.

Treating Allergies in Cats with Omega-3 Fatty Acids

DO check with your vet before using anything, just to make sure that there are no known interaction issues!
What were her symptoms, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ? I'm wondering if allergies aren't part of Charlie's problem. Something to ask my vet about when I speak to him next. Going to give his current treatment more time to work, of course, but I would be interested in hearing how you came to use Claritin, what your girl's symptoms were, and if you only have to use it during allergy season, or year round?