Allergic?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen this mentioned here and there on the forums, but I wanted to know if anyone is allergic to their babies and how they deal with it?

Me personally, I am allergic, but it seems like a new cat will only bother me for a week and then I build up a resistance? However if I get fur in my face, or I rub my eyes after petting, it's on! VERY watery eyes, itchy face and sneezing! most of the time I have to wash my face to get it to stop. What about you?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to cats, but I've gotten used to Zissou. I'm still allergic to every other cat just as bad as always.
I take Singulair for asthma but I don't know if it affects my catllergies because I've been on it since before I lived with any cats.
I get little hives anywhere Zissou licks me, especially places like my neck or the insides of my elbows. Other cats I get hives if their fur so much as brushes against me.

Catllergies are terrible, but not having a cat would be even worse!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh I forgot one thing too, if I get a scratch it swells up pretty good and itches like there's no tomorrow!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be horrible to be allergic to your kitties... I'm only allergic to penicillin. And only in the last 3 years. I took it in October and was fine, then got sick in January took it again and broke out in huge red itchy bumps EVERYWHERE...and I mean everywhere. It was horrible...I wanted to rub myself naked against a tree.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yikes!

I'm very mildly allergic to furry animals in general. For some reason the only thing that happens during allergy season is I get dark circles under my eyes (I found out because one year when I was in the dorm without any furry animals and I never got dark circles).

I use to think I was allergic to cats though. A roommate of mine had two cats and one would always sleep on my pillow. At first I thought it was cute, but then I would wake up with a scratchy throat and coughing. I realise now that it was because I was inhaling fur during my sleep!

I don't envy you guys that live off of the allergy medications. I'm glad they're out there for you, but to have such bad allergies it must be difficult. I wish you guys the lowest allergy season this year!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

yikes!

I'm very mildly allergic to furry animals in general. For some reason the only thing that happens during allergy season is I get dark circles under my eyes (I found out because one year when I was in the dorm without any furry animals and I never got dark circles).
Hmmm maybe that's why I always have dark circles too?? I've never been without a cat and/or dog, so I wouldn't know what its like not to be around them
I don't take any meds, I just suffer
but they aren't too bad really. When I first went to meet Simon I had such an awful allergic reaction to him that his foster says "I'm so sorry, you probably don't want him now" and I said "a Meezer? I'd take him even if I couldn't breathe!" Which actually almost happened
Simon is the only one that I have to be careful with, as he is the head butt/rubdown king. Within minutes of him rubbing on my face the reaction is in full force

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep... I'm allergic to cats, although not too terribly. It depends on if they are short or long haired.

I get red and itchy eyes, throat and ears and then have to gulp down lots of Benedryl.

I was never allergic to Captain, however, which is strange. But Kanoe and Toulouse I had to get used to. It took a couple of months for each. And I'll still react to other people's cats.

Can't do anything but love them!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic as is my asthmatic fiance'.

We both do ok as long as the kitties don't sleep on our pillows

I take OTC Claritin, he takes perscription Zyrtec.
He also reacts to scratches, but not badly.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not allergic to my pets. If I was I would just live with it!

On a similar note, there was an ad on petfinder.com today for people getting rid of their cat of 18 YEARS because they suddenly developed allergies

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I am not allergic to my pets. If I was I would just live with it!

On a similar note, there was an ad on petfinder.com today for people getting rid of their cat of 18 YEARS because they suddenly developed allergies
Don't you just love those classifieds? I look on there almost everyday too, and some of the people really need a kick in the pants

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have asthma and I used to be terribly alergic to cats throughout all of elementary school but after a while of spending more time with a couple of my friends that have a few cats I have developed a bit of a resistance and don't seem to be affected anymore.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not allergic but I have developed athsma over the past two years or so. If I were allergic I'd do everything I could to keep my animals!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to cats and dogs. I also have asthma and they are a trigger. I take prescription Singulair and Clarinex, and use Visene antihistimine drops in my eyes if I touch them after petting one of my cats. The two prescriptions really help!!! If need be I use my Proventil HFA inhaler.