All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am now 308 pages into "Bees." VERY good so far. I think I'd have gotten halfway through by now, but I got the book in hardcover (paperback won't be available for a few more months), and let me tell you, holding an 888 page hardback is TIRING!!! LOL, I have to keep stopping to rest my hands! I may drag my lap desk out for the rest of it!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I did finish 'bees" last night, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I had thought that it would be the last one of the series, because of the title, "Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone.' It's old folk lore that you should tell your bees about everything that happens, especially if someone dies, or they will be insulted and leave. Fooled me. Everyone lived, and other than that, i won't tell those of you who are fans a thing. Other than, she has ANOTHER one in the works. Shot her an email saying, "Please write fast! I'm staring 70 in the face, and refuse to check out until I know what happened!" Given that most of my family lives into their 90's, that might not be an issue!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished "The Return" by Nicholas Sparks. It was a book club read.. not bad.. an easy read, enjoyable.

Now I am reading, on my own: "All the Stars in the Heavens", by Ariana Trigiani. It is a fictionalized version of Loretta Young's story. Her affair with Spencer Tracy, her friendship with David Niven, and her love affair with Clark Gable.
This book was suggested by a friend of mine.

Our book club has paused for the summer. We resume in September. The book picked, for summer reading is:
"For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway. It will be a long read.

I suggested a weird book, but a series I really like, for the next book: "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Darkness.. I am wondering how it will be received... They already thought my last suggested book was weird.. but no one else came up with anything...

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finished Taste: My Life through Food by Stanley Tucci. By finished I mean I gave up after giving it a good try. For me, reading about food and recipes isn't interesting; I may as well use the time to eat those food.:yummy: Also since I'm not a good cook, I'm not inspired to try the recipes he shared in the book :lol:

So moving on to another book, a memoir by Lindsay Wong called The Woo-Woo: How I Survived Ice Hockey, Drug Raids, Demons, and My Crazy Chinese Family. Sounds interesting, right? Could be a wild ride!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. Loved it! Here’s the description from Goodreads:

Four septuagenarians with a few tricks up their sleeves
A female cop with her first big case
A brutal murder
Welcome to…
The Thursday Murder Club

In a peaceful retirement village, four unlikely friends meet weekly in the Jigsaw Room to discuss unsolved crimes; together they call themselves The Thursday Murder Club. Elizabeth, Joyce, Ibrahim and Ron might be pushing eighty but they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "The Return" by Nicholas Sparks. It was a book club read.. not bad.. an easy read, enjoyable.
I enjoy Sparks. He lives about 18 miles from me. Gorgeous house, almost a compound.

I'm reading "A Tale of Two Kitties," and would have finished it this morning, but I left it at the audiologist's office when I picked up my hearing aids! LUCKILY for me, the VERY sweet receptionist lives a couple of blocks down from me, and is going to drop it off when she gets off this evening.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished all of the Magical Cats series and am now reading "The Whole Cat and Caboodle," the first of the Second Chance Cat series, by the same author, but under the name Sofie Ryan.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I finished all of the Magical Cats series and am now reading "The Whole Cat and Caboodle," the first of the Second Chance Cat series, by the same author, but under the name Sofie Ryan.
I really enjoyed those!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I really liked A Discovery of Witches. Took me a while to get into it, but it was good. Have you read the series?

Some of the books I read in June:
The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections - Eva Jurczyk (reading this now in the house)
Firestorm - Nevada Barr (reading this now in the Shed)
The Book of Candlelight - Ellery Adams
The Vanishing Type - Ellery Adams
The Broken Girls - Simone St. James (excellent)
The Book of Cold Cases - Simone St. James (excellent)
The Guests on South Battery - Karen White (part of the Tradd Street series)

I pre-ordered Chrysalis - Lincoln Child, the sixth book in his Jeremy Logan series. Should be here next Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.