All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I've plowed through the first five Ghost-in-Law books, and am now on #6, "Chaos in Mudbug." It's the last one, then I'll start on the Sister Jane series by Rita Mae Brown. It's about fox hunting in Virginia...don't get upset. In Virginia, no foxes are killed, and many of them seem to enjoy outwitting the dogs to no end!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm rereading, no rubes, not Killing me Softly, hee, hee, The Silent Patient. Each time I read it things I missed the firs time
are popping out at me and I'm so enjoying it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm rereading, no rubes, not Killing me Softly, hee, hee, The Silent Patient. Each time I read it things I missed the firs time
are popping out at me and I'm so enjoying it.
Hmmm... I don't think I ever read The Silent Patient. Must add it to my wish list.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've now read "Full Cry," "Hot Spur," "Out Foxed," and "The Hunt Ball," and am working on "The Hounds and the Fury." I'm liking this series far better than I had anticipated. There are some wonderful characters, both human and animal (the animals talk among themselves). I adore Sister Jane, a most redoubtable septuagenarian with more life and fire than most have at thirty! I want to be her. No, never mind, I want to be a combination of Ida Belle and Gertie, but I want to live next door to Sister! I've also gained a much deeper appreciation of fox hunting, at least the Virginia type, than I ever expected. I knew that one of the big things to Virginia fox hunting was doing everything possible NOT to harm a fox, but did not realize how involved the Hunt Masters are with keeping "their" foxes as happy and healthy as possible! Did some research, and this seems to be so.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've also gained a much deeper appreciation of fox hunting, at least the Virginia type, than I ever expected. I knew that one of the big things to Virginia fox hunting was doing everything possible NOT to harm a fox, but did not realize how involved the Hunt Masters are with keeping "their" foxes as happy and healthy as possible! Did some research, and this seems to be so.
Hunting that doesn't harm the animal. Sounds like a oxymoron. :dunno:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it would seem that "fox chasing" is more a correct term. They enjoy being out, having a rousing ride, and then getting a good breakfast at the hosts' home, or by tailgating. Personally, so long as the foxes are not harmed (and they actually seem to take some pride in their abilities, often climbing trees to taunt the hounds), I'm ok with that. The really good Hunt Masters leave out food for the foxes all winter, and regularly leave chicken that is full of worm medicine for them, as well. Since foxes are omnivores, and most have sweet tooths, it isn't unusual for little caches of jelly beans and such to be left for them.

Have completed "The Hounds and the Fury," "The Tell-Tale Horse," and am working on "Hounded to Death."

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, it would seem that "fox chasing" is more a correct term. They enjoy being out, having a rousing ride, and then getting a good breakfast at the hosts' home, or by tailgating. Personally, so long as the foxes are not harmed (and they actually seem to take some pride in their abilities, often climbing trees to taunt the hounds), I'm ok with that. The really good Hunt Masters leave out food for the foxes all winter, and regularly leave chicken that is full of worm medicine for them, as well. Since foxes are omnivores, and most have sweet tooths, it isn't unusual for little caches of jelly beans and such to be left for them.

Have completed "The Hounds and the Fury," "The Tell-Tale Horse," and am working on "Hounded to Death."
Mrs. Murphy Series by Rita Mae Brown
this is a parallel and identical series of books with even more cats) I love this author very much)

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 , I LOVE re-reads! It is like visiting old friends. I may know where we'll go and what we'll do, even what we'll talk about, but I still enjoy every minute!

Finished "Hounded to Death," "Fox Tracks," "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie," and "Crazy Like a Fox," and am working on "Homeward Hound."

I think, that if I ever come into money, I shall buy a house and name it "Gone to Ground." It is the notes a huntsman plays when the fox is safely in his/her den.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading a lot lately. Recently, I finished Ghost Girl by Torey L. Hayden and When Rabbit Howls by Truddi Chase
Ghost Girl
When Rabbit Howls

And started reading The Last Green Valley, by Mark Sullivan, but not sure I'm up to finishing it right now because I know it's going to get very sad soon. I will finish though because I really liked Beneath a Scarlet Sky by that author, but I'm going to continue reading Memories of the Afterlife, edited by Michael Newton, first.

The Last Green Valley
Memories of the Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.