All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still trying to get through 12 years a slave... I can only get through 20 pages at a time. It is one of 'those' books...
I may cheat and just watch the movie... :flail:
Probably won't choose that book for our book club then. ;)

Speaking of our book club, only 2 weeks till April and we read the cozy mystery "Louisiana Longshot" by Jana Deleon.
It's still free on Bookbub: Louisiana Longshot by Jana DeLeon is Free! - BookBub

I finished our March book, "The Kite Runner" and have now started "The Paris Apartment" Lucy Foley.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Yeah, the book, although short enough; is hard reading. It was written in the 1880's. The style of writing is indicative of that era.
It is a chronicle of one free black man, who was kidnapped, severely physical abused, and sold as a slave, in the Deep South.
You can imagine the horrors he did endure. It does get wordy at times. I found yesterday, I was reading an especially long chapter, and was skipping over paragraphs.
Not something you can just sit and read..

Glad we have a month to read it.

I wonder how the group will like the next book: my suggestion, One Thousand White Women; fiction but based on a proposal which could have happened. It is the first book in a series of 3. Women marrying into Indian Tribes.. It is seen from both sides... also a love story....

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
artiemom artiemom : that does sound like it would be a difficult read, both the content and the writing patterns of the 1880's.

I know the feeling of wondering how a book title you choose will be liked by other book club members, as we've had both some winners and duds in our book club. So if they don't like your choice, don't take it personally. Not everyone will like the same books.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still working on "Superior Death." This series is in no way "cozy," but Navada Barr is an excellent writer, doesn't get overly detailed in the gore, not a large amount of four-letter words, and the small amount of sex is not detailed. I do enjoy those. And, I haven't guessed whodunit yet, which I too often do with mysteries.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have completed "Superior Death," and am now reading "Ill Wind." I probably should have mentioned that this entire series is set in various National Parks. Anna Pigeon is a Park Ranger, in the Law Enforcement sector, and moves around to different parks in her job. From what I can see, Ms. Barr's descriptions are right on point, and should be, as she, herself is (or was?) a Park Ranger.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
Have completed "Superior Death," and am now reading "Ill Wind." I probably should have mentioned that this entire series is set in various National Parks. Anna Pigeon is a Park Ranger, in the Law Enforcement sector, and moves around to different parks in her job. From what I can see, Ms. Barr's descriptions are right on point, and should be, as she, herself is (or was?) a Park Ranger.
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 it used to be my dream job to be a park ranger but you have to have 4 years of college

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I'm working on "Firestorm" now. I'm going through the series quickly enough that I went ahead and ordered the last eight. HOPEFULLY, they will get here before I go into the hospital on the 28th, and I'll have them to take along to read!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Found a new-to-me author, Abby Collette. She writes the Ice Cream Parlor mysteries. My library had the first two in ebook format:

A Deadly Inside Scoop
A Game of Cones

Cozy mysteries and quick reads, if anybody is interested.

Body and Soul Food is the first in her series Books and Biscuits mysteries. Haven't read it as my library doesn't have it in ebook format.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Still struggling through !2 Years a Slave... We are scheduled to discuss this book, on Monday.. I may just skip over much of it, or give up completely on it..

Whomever chose and donated the books is crazy. This is not a read for seniors.. It is a good one for a student history class, or English Comp class.

I am pretty certain there will be a lot of negative reactions to it..

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now reading "Blind Descent," #6 of the Anna Pigeon books. I'm having a hard time with this one, as Anna is deep underground working with a team to rescue one of her friends who was injured while exploring Lechugilla Cavern, located near the famous Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. The story is excellent so far, but it is triggering my mild claustrophobia. I'm going to push through it, though. It's a good book, and I wanna know whodunit!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, I may just go to thriftbooks.com and buy the Anna Pigeon series. That's how I finished collecting the Preston/Child Pendergast novels. And I really like the Nevada Barr/Pigeon books.

ETA: Done! I love thriftbooks.com

Track of the Cat
A Superior Death
Ill Wind
Firestorm
Endangered Species
Blind Descent
Liberty Falling
The Rope (This is a later book, but supposedly it lets us know why she left NY and started as a Park Ranger. I guess it's the Prequel to Track of the Cat. Something like that.)

These are hardcovers, some are large print. I find that I can read hardcovers easier than paperbacks; the type is a bit larger for me.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing a lot more reading while my hand heals.

I just finished Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, but Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I recently discovered the series, and loved it, but had never read the book. Fortunately, it was available at the library.

Also finished Third Daughter (the Royals of Dharia, Book One) by Susan Kaye Quinn. It's free on Amazon Kindle Edition and part of trilogy. I did get the other two. It was an okay book, very quick easy read.

Still reading Journey of Souls: Case Studies of Life Between Lives by Michael Newton.

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Currently a little more the half way through "The Four Winds." One of the most famous photographs from the U.S. is Migrant Mother by Dorothea Lange, and this novel does a good job of putting into perspective what the mother in the image must have been going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.