All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished reading the teeny tiny book for the buildings book club.... Did not care for it.. A James Patterson, in collaboration with someone else, tiny book. Almost like a short story. It is part of the Women's Murder Club Mystery Series.

Too many characters at first, then it concerned about 6 characters. I found the last 1/3 of the book to be rushed, with the writing style changing. Yes, definitely Witten for the $$$$$ bucks.....
Took me just over 2 hours to read...

now to discuss it on the 28th...

Now reading " Dead as a Doorknocker".. cute with a cat commenting on stuff, from his perspective...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished "Raspberry Danish Murder" by Joanna Fluke, and am now reading "Christmas Cake Murder." Bought this one used, and SOME IDIOT tore out one of the recipes. Didn't interfere with the story, but I think it would have been a really good recipe!

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My last entry in this thread was about reading Book 2 of Dune. That was done by the end of January. Then I started reading and just finished The Break by Katherena Vermette. This book was chosen by my book club, who wanted to read a Canadian author writing about Indigenous characters.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I held off on the last two of the Hannah Swensen books because one was late getting here. In the meantime, I've read "Whiskers in the Dark," and am now reading "Furmidable Foes," both in the Mrs. Murphy series by Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown (her cat...LOVE that name for a cat!). When I finish that, I'll go back and read the newest two of the "Hannah Swensen" books. The missing one showed up yesterday!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have so many books checked out of the library.
The Guide by Peter Heller for a book club.
Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson.
Sapiens by Yuval Harari.
All Systems Red by Martha Wells (sci fi.)
The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart (a re-read.)

I have to choose.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm now re-reading "Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Murder." I had read it out of order, then ordered the three before it that I didn't have, and wanted to give it a quick read to get the time-line straight in my head. Goodness, I read it before I even knew ... well, I tried to put a spoiler in here, but it didn't work! Before I knew something drastic from one of the missing books. SO THERE, SPOILER ALERT! FOOLED YOU!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I like reading the Joanne Fluke mysteries. I loved Mary Stewarts's series; I lent the books out and never got them back. Definitely a great read.

Our library has a section on the first books of various series. It was fun looking back at the series that I've spent time reading: Clive Cussler, Kim Harrison, Laurell K. Hamilton, Preston/Child, Nora Roberts, etc. I took out some of the first books in various series to reread again. Working on Dead Witch Walking, the first of the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. Track of the Cat is the first of the Anna Pigeon mysteries by Nevada Barr. Pacific Vortex is the first Dirk Pitt novel by Clive Cussler (actually Mayday is the first novel, but Pacific Vortex took place before Mayday). And I have the Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett. I am enjoying these books very much; they're always worth a good read. And it's interesting to go back and read the first books.

I have pretty much the entire Dirk Pitt series in the WeShed. But I like reading on my iPad.
FWIW, when I finished Go Tell the Books I am Gone, I sat back and said, "Well, that's a full day that I'll never get back!" I was not impressed.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
This afternoon, we had the building's second meeting of the Book Club.
None of us cared for the teeny tiny paperback we had read.. so it was a quick, fast, easy discussion.

I was surprised with the amount of people who joined us. Close to 25 people.. WOW! We had just 6 people at the original meeting.
It was kind of a 'Free for All" meeting.. Lisa is in charge of it, but... there were 8 different conversations going at once... It was a large meeting.

The Book for March is: Twelve Years a Slave. Not my pick of books, but... have to go along with what is chosen.

The Book for April will be one of mine: One Thousand White Woman.

Since I already have it on my Kindle, and iPhone, I will just re-read it.

Then, it is up for Grabs..
I think everyone is going to nominate their favorite book, and we will read each one... That will take some time...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey fellow readers! In case you haven't seen the thread, the book club is having a poll to decide what we'll read in April. It's a close race right now, so every vote can make a difference. Voting doesn't commit you to reading the winning book, but it does give us an idea of the types of books folks like, so we appreciate everyone who takes the time to cast their vote.
Here's the link to the thread: April 2022 Book of the Month Club, Three Votes Poll

I posted the other day and said I was reading The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell, which was wrong. I'm actually reading another book by the author - Watching You.

I finished the Harry Potter series! I loved it so much; I laughed and cried a lot.
It's a great series, isn't it. :)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried "The Last House On Needless Street" - yuck! returned for refund. Now reading 'Only a Monster' - I think it's the first of a series. Ok, so far - not sure if I'll be happy with it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our library has a section on the first books of various series. It was fun looking back at the series that I've spent time reading: Clive Cussler, Kim Harrison, Laurell K. Hamilton, Preston/Child, Nora Roberts, etc. I took out some of the first books in various series to reread again. Working on Dead Witch Walking, the first of the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. Track of the Cat is the first of the Anna Pigeon mysteries by Nevada Barr.
I've read all of the Kim Harrison books, and really enjoyed them. I like her take on demons and their society. It was a refreshing change, and I love when someone explores something "known" from a really new angle...Probably why I enjoy the Argeneau books by Linsay Sands. I've read every one of Laurell Hamilton's books, and had a very good time with them, both the Anita Blake series and the Meridith Gentry series. My big issue with Hamilton is that there is a LOT of sex. I get weary occasionally, and skip most of the sex scenes, which means I can read an entire book in a few hours! That said, I mostly enjoy the characters and the action. I will say that I wanted to slap Anita several times early on with her eternal self-guilt trips! At one time, I had all of the Preston/Child Pendergast series, which I adore, and am recollecting them now. AND, I've read enough to know that I want to collect the Nevada Barr books. If they are one half as good as the Hillerman books, I'll be well-satisfied!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished Gold Digger: The Remarkable Baby Doe Tabor by Rebecca Rosenberg. Based on the true story of a woman who goes west with her new husband to work his gold mine. I'm about to start The Mrs. Tabor by Kimberly Burns for a different perspective. I've also read the Wiki article about her. She seems like a fascinating person.

I'm also reading Mating in Captivity: a Memoir, by Helen Zuman about her time in the Zendik Farm cult.

I checked my Kindle Device content and currently have 358 books loaded, the majority of which I haven't read yet. I rarely buy a book, I either download the free ones or from Kindle Unlimited. My reasoning is that if I start it and don't care for it, I don't feel compelled to keep reading.
Update, finished Mating in Captivity, interesting and it amazes me how people can get sucked into these cults.

And I've just started The Mrs. Tabor. So far it varies some from the other Tabor book I read, so I wonder which version is more accurate (e.g., in the first one she's just friends with a man she is having an affair with in this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.