All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "Lord of Summer," and have a much better grasp on the history of England in the eleventh century than I did. Godwin does excellent research, but one does have to realize that he mixes history and legend very skillfully. However, the basic, bare bones are there, and I am interested enough because of this book to do some investigating on my own! That may be the highest praise that you can give to a writer of historical fiction. I'm now going to start "Sherwood," the second of the Robin Hood cycle. "Lord of Summer" was a bit of a prequel.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, laureen227 laureen227 ! I've added them to my Thriftbooks wish list, and will order them when my check comes in. Looking forward to it.

Still reading Sherwood. The Godwin books are NOT quick reads, nor should they be. But they are rich, deeply detailed and fascinating glimpses of how our many legends might have come to be.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've started, and am half-way through, "Robin and the King," the third of the Sherwood cycle. It's going faster than either "Lord of Sunset" or "Sherwood." MUST catch Goodreads up tonight! I am SO far behind!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read that one, and I've read most of her trilogies. Should I look for it?
Thought I should tell you - I was wrong about the trilogy I was reading. It was DEFINITELY The Guardians trilogy! the Stars of Mithra is an older trilogy from the nineties - Guardinas, they have cell phones and computers.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now reading Jennifer Crusie and Bob Meyer, "Wild RIde." I love the Crusie books so much! They're just plain FUN!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton. Thought I'd read a classic.
Plus I have but haven't started "The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Haven't read one by him yet.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "Wild Ride," which was full of absurdities and hysterically inept demons, and have started "Anyone But You," aka "Fred's book," because the dog kinda takes over everything...also by Crusie. ALMOST done with that, then will start "The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes," again, Crusie and others.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which reminds me, Winchester Winchester , I must start re-collecting the Dune books. ALL of them that I can find.

I finished "The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes," which was a lot of fun, and started on "Dogs and Goddesses," again, by Jennifer Crusie. I should finish it late Tuesday or Wednesday. After that, I'm treating myself to "Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone."

Status
Not open for further replies.